Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Sony KV-XJ29M31 Brightness Problem

matead13
New User

Aug 27, 2015, 12:16 PM

Post #1 of 5 (1062 views)
Shortcut
Sony KV-XJ29M31 Brightness Problem Can't Post

Hi. I have a Sony KV-XJ29M31 CRT TV (Chassis Number: SCC-U44E-A) that works perfectly fine (tube colour is good, tube alignment is good, etc). However, the tube will sometimes darken itself. I find that if I give it a good whack to the side, it sometimes (very rarely) comes back to normal brightness levels. I find whacking it helps once the TV has been running for about 30 minutes (once it's warm).

I have disassembled the TV, and everything looks okay.
I have checked for poor solder joints.

The only thing I can think of is that the tube itself is bad, and one of the IC's is 'auto sensing' the voltage within the tube and compensating.
If that's true, it would be good to know what IC is handling that, and if possible, bypass it or feed it a resistance value that will permanently lock the 'auto sense' signal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to scrap this TV for what could be a simple fix.

If you need pictures or voltage levels checked, just let me know.
I do have an oscilloscope and I am competent with electronics.

Thank you.
- Matt.

(This post was edited by matead13 on Aug 27, 2015, 12:19 PM)

matead13
New User

Aug 27, 2015, 12:42 PM

Post #2 of 5 (1047 views)
Shortcut
Re: [matead13] Sony KV-XJ29M31 Brightness Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

*Update*

I noticed that if I bang my screwdriver on the flyback, it makes the brightness trigger. It will stay on, or off. Then again, if I bang it on one of the heatsinks (probably the HOT) it too triggers it.

(This post was edited by matead13 on Aug 27, 2015, 1:04 PM)

jts1957
Veteran

Aug 27, 2015, 12:49 PM

Post #3 of 5 (1044 views)
Shortcut

See if the filament is also fluctuating with the 'darkening'/'comes back to normal brightness levels.'

Is front panel LED flashing?

-------------------------

matead13
New User

Aug 27, 2015, 1:06 PM

Post #4 of 5 (1041 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Sony KV-XJ29M31 Brightness Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

By filament, you mean the neck boards heater element (the orange glow in the neck tube where the electron gun assembly is)?

The front panel LED is not flashing. If I turn down the G2 voltage it starts to flash, and if I turn up the G2 voltage until the screen essentially becomes white, the TV shuts down and a hard reset is required (unplug the TV, adjust the G2 back to normal and re-power back up).

matead13
New User

Aug 28, 2015, 2:24 AM

Post #5 of 5 (1024 views)
Shortcut

Anyway, I thought I would say that the problem seems to be solved.
I disassembled everything and re-soldered the flyback, HOT, several transistors, diodes, resistors, etc all based around the high voltage side (all located near the flyback where I was tapping with my screwdriver).

The tube seems to be stable, so I call this one solved :)

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.22 s on (CGI/1.1)