Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Sony Trinitron 1988 picture died, still sound

colman77
New User

Mar 8, 2003, 12:55 PM

Post #1 of 3 (2511 views)
Shortcut
Sony Trinitron 1988 picture died, still sound Can't Post

For a while my 1988 27" Sony Trinitron has had to "warm up" before the picture came in. It started taking longer and longer to start working, until recently it just stopped working. I can let it sit there all day and it never starts working. Sometimes changing the channel would help speed up the process, but nothing works now. I've had no problems with the sound. Willing to get dirty(or at least dusty) on this one.

mickhayafe
TV Repair Authority

Mar 8, 2003, 3:16 PM

Post #2 of 3 (2509 views)
Shortcut
Re: [colman77] Sony Trinitron 1988 picture died, still sound [In reply to] Can't Post

take off the back of the tv. towrards the back of the chassis there is a big plastic transformer w/ two knobs on it one says "focus" the other "screen". turn the "screen" knob a little to the right to see if the picture comes on. don't go too far or there will be "retrace lines" lines that go diagonally across the screen when there is too much screen voltage applied to the tube. if you get a picture then go the the a/v input where you can get a blank black screen, make sure you don't see any retrace lines, if there are any, turn the knob left so it's on the border between seeing the lines and not. (of course you don't wan't to see any lines, but you don't want there to be too little screen voltage)

hope this helps

colman77
New User

Mar 8, 2003, 4:36 PM

Post #3 of 3 (2503 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mickhayafe] Sony Trinitron 1988 picture died, still sound [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I found what you were talking about, and I found the focus knob, but I can't find the screen adjust. But I don't think that's the problem. I can plug my video games into the component hookups and they work fine, and I'm getting snow along with the sound, so I think all the settings are fine. This TV has been on basically every day from 7 in the morning till 9 at night ever since it was bought, so the chance that the parts are worn is quite high.

-Just my humble opinion.

(This post was edited by colman77 on Mar 8, 2003, 6:01 PM)

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.24 s on (CGI/1.1)