Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Sony on permanent standby?

al shookup
New User

Aug 1, 2015, 4:13 PM

Post #1 of 10 (1654 views)
Shortcut
Sony on permanent standby? Can't Post

My eight year old sony KDL-40s2000 has suddenly developed an issue where as soon as you switch it on the picture comes on fleetingly and then it reverts to standby mode and the light on the front stays on red. It is impossible to get a station. I know nothing lasts forever but wondered if it is a fairly common problem that can be rectified at lowish cost even if I have to call an engineer out?

jts1957
Veteran

Aug 1, 2015, 5:27 PM

Post #2 of 10 (1648 views)
Shortcut
Re: [al shookup] Sony on permanent standby? [In reply to] Can't Post

Two s2000's in one day, how strange.

What is red light normal operation?

Reason I ask is manual says: When troubleshooting a “Unit will not turn ON” problem in previous models the Red Standby LED was very helpful. It indicated that at least the Standby Power Supply was functioning when lit. Unfortunately, there is no Red Standby LED on any of the WAX2 chassis models.

Picture comes on fleetingly ... How about sound and does it stay or go with picture?

Can you make voltage measurements?

-------------------------

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Aug 1, 2015, 5:42 PM)

al shookup
New User

Aug 2, 2015, 10:14 AM

Post #3 of 10 (1629 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Sony on permanent standby? [In reply to] Can't Post

The red light flashes 4 times in a couple of seconds then it goes off completely for a couple of seconds then starts over again flashing 4 times in two seconds. The TV doesn't respond to the on/off switch at all.

jts1957
Veteran

Aug 2, 2015, 12:36 PM

Post #4 of 10 (1626 views)
Shortcut

Backlight Protection (4X Flash Pattern)

This protection mode monitors the operation of the Backlight Inverter Board and the Lamps. The Inverter Board is the Lamp power supply, which produces the high alternating voltage necessary to drive the Cold-Cathode Fluorescent Lamps (CCFL) used for the LCD panel backlighting. There are three main causes for the activation of this protection mode.
• Loss of 18.5V supply to the Inverter Board (at CN6202 on the G2-Board)
• Loss of 3.2V Backlight ON signal - You can measure this voltage at CN7009/pin 1 on the BU-Board.
• Defective Inverter Board Circuits
• Defective Lamp(s)
(That seems to be 4 by my count.)

Tell me if you have the first two ... at the points I've indicated. (You may have to plug in the set when set up to read each voltage - Is "The TV doesn't respond to the on/off switch at all." a change in operation since your original post?

al shookup
New User

Aug 4, 2015, 3:59 PM

Post #5 of 10 (1608 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for response. Unfortunately I am not a tv engineer and can only guess as to how I check voltage levels. I assume I will need a tool even if I knew where to look.
Am I better off writing it off as I don't know how much new parts will cost never mind the labour costs?

al shookup
New User

Aug 4, 2015, 4:02 PM

Post #6 of 10 (1607 views)
Shortcut

Forgot to say that when it is unplugged for a minute or so and I try to switch on again, the sound and picture comes on for about a second with the sound ok but the picture is dark and smoky looking.

jts1957
Veteran

Aug 4, 2015, 4:32 PM

Post #7 of 10 (1592 views)
Shortcut

Provided for part info - you can research price/availability locally and decide.
http://www.shopjimmy.com/sony/kdl-40s2000

There are free tools on the internet that everyone can use to find out about how to do a task. These are called Search Engines. YOU DO have to type your question ('measuring voltage' should suffice) into their search boxes.

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Aug 4, 2015, 4:38 PM)

jts1957
Veteran

Aug 4, 2015, 4:34 PM

Post #8 of 10 (1591 views)
Shortcut

Unless picture is 'pinkish/reddish,' too. In that case, measure for a casket.

al shookup
New User

Aug 4, 2015, 4:38 PM

Post #9 of 10 (1586 views)
Shortcut

Don't know what part it is so can't start to look. I have seen elsewhere on the internet that it could well be something to do with the backlight so there may be a part for that but it is a bit of a gamble.

jts1957
Veteran

Aug 4, 2015, 4:41 PM

Post #10 of 10 (1578 views)
Shortcut

That's why they call it Troubleshooting. It could be caused by any of the things listed earlier, but unless/until one is ruled in or out. Check your PM in a moment.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.22 s on (CGI/1.1)