Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Toshiba 36ZP48 CRT problems since changing settings in service menu

dekamate
New User

Aug 24, 2015, 3:25 AM

Post #1 of 9 (1132 views)
Shortcut
Toshiba 36ZP48 CRT problems since changing settings in service menu Can't Post

The issue is that I changed the settings because the height and width were far too large meaning I had picture chopped off so bad for subtitled movies.

Over the course of about 3 weeks I changed the settings quite a few times and all seemed fine till one day I decided to turn on my computer connected to it, picture looked fine till I changed source and noticed about 5 lines at top of screen, so turned tv off and on a few times and lines never went away I attempted to turn tv off and on but doing so meant the screen was just black, not even the blue screen you get if no signal.

Left it off for about 4 hours and it worked for about 20 minutes when I turned it back on then went black again, but OSD is fine and I can hear sound perfect

After leaving it off overnight it was fine until I decided to test turning it on and off standby where it messed up again.

Finally what I notice is if you leave it on all day the picture is fine unless you change sources where the screen has a few lines on about 1/6 of tv at top, turning it off and on works fine.

It works better on a hot day than cold day, and when it doesnt work if you turn it off and on fast a few times the picture seems to come back.

Trying to work out if its a capacitor, the gun or whatever.

Ron.M
Veteran

Aug 24, 2015, 4:15 PM

Post #2 of 9 (1116 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dekamate] Toshiba 36ZP48 CRT problems since changing settings in service menu [In reply to] Can't Post

dekamate;....

UNLESS you are a technician & KNOW what the hell you are doing , STAY the hell out of the Service Menu !!!..

That said...
How much TV/Electronic repair service experience do you have ???

Later...Ron.M...Cool...
Veteran & Retired TV technician

jts1957
Veteran

Aug 24, 2015, 5:16 PM

Post #3 of 9 (1113 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron.M] Toshiba 36ZP48 CRT problems since changing settings in service menu [In reply to] Can't Post

https://youtu.be/LH5ay10RTGY

-------------------------

Ron.M
Veteran

Aug 24, 2015, 5:40 PM

Post #4 of 9 (1107 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Toshiba 36ZP48 CRT problems since changing settings in service menu [In reply to] Can't Post

jts1957;.....

OKAAaaaay .HHMMmmmm!!!!..

Help me connect the "I'm a banana" song with this thread...

Later...Ron.M...Cool...

jts1957
Veteran

Aug 24, 2015, 5:55 PM

Post #5 of 9 (1103 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron.M] Toshiba 36ZP48 CRT problems since changing settings in service menu [In reply to] Can't Post

I started by trying to find references to 'I'm a logger' line from Ray Stevens Haircut Song and got sidetracked.Crazy

-------------------------

Ron.M
Veteran

Aug 24, 2015, 6:03 PM

Post #6 of 9 (1101 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Toshiba 36ZP48 CRT problems since changing settings in service menu [In reply to] Can't Post

jts1957;....

OK , I'll put the bottle of Rum & the Valiums away for now....Wink....

Later...Ron.M...Cool...

dekamate
New User

Aug 24, 2015, 9:13 PM

Post #7 of 9 (1089 views)
Shortcut

Actual physical repairs like circuit boards and soldering none, all I am used to is mostly desktop pc building and took a few laptops apart, did take apart a 20 inch Samsung last year that kept turning itself off and cleaned inside it and thats the extent of my experience with that.

I just took tv apart since I posted last and gave it a massive clean inside, next to no dirt on the casing just on the boards itself then put it back together.

Havent tested it long term yet but what I have done is power on and off tv from standby and it worked up to about the 6th attempt where it took a few seconds to come on rather than instant, and left it off for 10 minutes and tried again.

Next step is to test it with my dvd player or something.

In the meantime any ideas based on what I have experienced?

Ron.M
Veteran

Aug 24, 2015, 9:58 PM

Post #8 of 9 (1082 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dekamate] Toshiba 36ZP48 CRT problems since changing settings in service menu [In reply to] Can't Post

dekamate;...

I can ONLY address one issue as I don't know what you screwed with in the Factory Menu...
That being;=>..

""picture looked fine till I changed source and noticed about 5 lines at top of screen, so turned tv off and on a few times and lines never went away"" AND ""if you leave it on all day the picture is fine unless you change sources where the screen has a few lines on about 1/6 of tv at top, turning it off and on works fine.""

That indicates a problem in the Vertical output circuit..
Most likely a bad lytic cap...
Since you lack ""Actual physical repair experience like circuit boards and soldering none,"" you are pretty much screwed ..... Crazy

Good Luck....

Later...Ron.M...Cool...

dekamate
New User

Aug 24, 2015, 10:07 PM

Post #9 of 9 (1078 views)
Shortcut

Well I did change the height and vertical linearity in the service menu so that could be why.

There could of been a reason why the previous owner had the picture stretched to such a level to hide some error.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.21 s on (CGI/1.1)