Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Toshiba TP61F80 PLEASE HELP

1986VeeDub
New User

Apr 22, 2010, 5:42 PM

Post #1 of 5 (2054 views)
Shortcut
Toshiba TP61F80 PLEASE HELP Can't Post

I have a Toshiba TP61F80 Rear Projection TV, build in Oct 1996. IMO this is a great TV for being how old it is. My problem is that i have never had any trouble with it until 2 nights ago (worked great till then). I have my TV plugged in to 1 of the 2 AUX outlets on the back of my DENON AVR-488, so that when i turn on the stereo the TV comes on also. My cat stepped on the remote that controls this and shut everything off. I turn them back on and the TV clicks on like it normally does, BUT then the power light just blinks It blinks about every sec for as long as i have the TV plugged in. I have tried plugging it into every other outlet in the room and it just blinks at me! I took the back off to look at the inside and nothing seems to be burnt there is not smell of something burning. I don't want to junk this TV since it has worked perfectly since i have owned it. I am a NEWBIE when it comes to internals of a tv. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance!

tscheucher
User

Apr 23, 2010, 3:52 PM

Post #2 of 5 (2042 views)
Shortcut
Re: [1986VeeDub] Toshiba TP61F80 PLEASE HELP [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello 1986VeeDub!
These are classical symptoms of "elderly" rear projection tv's like the one you're owner of. At first it's recommended to check and improve obviously bad solder joints on psu (power supply unit) board and the vertical area (position on pcb, the vertical ic is located at) and also at external boards responsible for convergence.
In your case, the two convergence ic's (convergence section) are located on a big heat sink on power supply board. Two big ic's on which it's read "STK392-111". One is the RGB video driver/amplifier, the other one is the convergence output amplifier.
After lot's of improvements at the manufacturer's side those ic's are available now with type number: STK392-150 or STK392-140 for lower power. I assume one of them has blown or respectively short circuit, which is discussed as S/C here in the forum.
You can find them with position number Q751 and neighbouring ic.
In the case, convergence is good, there can be some other reasons for that behaviour of your set like:
- Defective QA01 and QA02 in combination with defective zener diode D875
- Dead Q641 and open joints like a 20 year's old tv's condition on all the boards
- Defective R327 (3,3R) which requires the vertical ic LA733 to be replaced also all together (resistor + ic)
Precautionarily replace psu startup electrolytic caps (values around 10 to 47uF) in power supply's primary stage(s) to avoid another dissembling of your unit afterwards.
Let's hope this help's!
best regards
Thomas

1986VeeDub
New User

Apr 23, 2010, 5:06 PM

Post #3 of 5 (2038 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tscheucher] Toshiba TP61F80 PLEASE HELP [In reply to] Can't Post

Is there any way you could smiplify what you posted. I have never repaired a tv and im totally lost. I pretty sure the convergence is ok because i never had any trouble with that. Is there any place i could find diagrams of the circuts in this tv? Im lost :(

tscheucher
User

Apr 24, 2010, 9:27 PM

Post #4 of 5 (2027 views)
Shortcut
Re: [1986VeeDub] Toshiba TP61F80 PLEASE HELP [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello again!
Don't be lost - That's only a tv show on ABC'S network :-)
It's a hard task to teach a newbee how to fix rear projection tv's, but I'll try to explain as good as possible. What I wanted to tell you was first to check bad solder joints. That's a common fault occurring after a few years of use. Have a visible check on all the boards before you replace any parts - That can save a lot of money because some components gave up work just because of bad circuit connection.
The next thing I wrote you was to check the video amplifier ic and the convergence output ic for short circuit or non-operation. Most of the rp-tv's stop working and start blinking when one or two of those ic's are faulty. You have a tv where those 2 ic's are soldered on the main power supply board on big heat sinks. The ic's look like the one on the foto: http://files.tradoria.de/...116030231_135225.jpg
In general they came with a production fault and die after a 3 or 4 years of use (sometimes 6). The manufacturer of those ic's made an "update" of their internal circuit to achieve a longer lifespan. They are sold now as STK392-150 (=type number).
I assume that you know what a part or position number is. It's the white (sometimes black) overprint on the circuit board which represent's the part number. The convergence ic's have the number Q751 and the one next to it. Just look at the markings on the circuit board and you'll find them. Do the same procedure for locating all other resistors, transistors, capacitors a.s.o..
If you can exlude faulty convergence stages, you have to look for other reasons that might be these ones:
- Defective transistors QA01 and QA02 (that's their number on circuit board) They could have short circuit between 2 or more pins.
- Defective transistor Q641 and defective zener diode D875
- Defective R327 (3,3 Ohm = value)
R 327 is a safety resistor, which burns or get's open circuit when ic LA733 is dead. The LA733 is an ic responsible for vertical deflection.
That's all I can tell you about tv repair on a rpTv like your's 'cause I haven't seen it and it's not possible to introduce somebody in tv repair without any (or too little) background knowledge on that topic.
In case of doubts, please ask your local repair shop for further help because as experienced the are much apprechiated when people only buy spare parts for rptv's - They don't really like to repair them unless they have to :-)
best regards

(This post was edited by tscheucher on Apr 24, 2010, 9:31 PM)

jts1957
Veteran

Apr 25, 2010, 1:34 AM

Post #5 of 5 (2018 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tscheucher] Toshiba TP61F80 PLEASE HELP [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you mean LA7833 Vertical Output IC.Wink

-------------------------

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.21 s on (CGI/1.1)