Free Games TV Forums

Main Index FORUM
HOME
Search Posts SEARCH
IN
Rules & FAQ RULES
F.A.Q.

Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Westinghouse backlight, no picture and no sound.

TheTuna
New User

Jun 1, 2015, 3:50 AM

Post #1 of 4 (2426 views)
Shortcut
Westinghouse backlight, no picture and no sound. Can't Post

Hey guys, this is the first time posting here and just wanted to say thank you in advance for anyone who post in response. I did search through some of the other post but didn't see any situation quite like mine so if there is one I apologize in advance for not seeing it before posting.
So this is my situation: I picked up a 26 in Westinghouse TV from a neighbor who was going to throw it out, I has had it for a while so doesn't have much to say to what happened to it other than his kids did it. When you power it on you clearly see the back light come on but that's it, I've tried to get sound to play but without being able to see the menu to change the input I just pressed the input randomly in different sequences trying to get the right input to see if the audio works but have not been able to. Once when first plugging the power cable in the Westinghouse icon come on the flashed to a black screen and that was the only time I've seen that. I've opened almost everything up to see if there was a blown cap but I can't find one. Most situations I've researched points to a bad inverter board but in those cases there was sound and just no pic at all. The screen also seems to start to lighten more towards a light grey the more it stays on. I've also noticed that there were quite a few dead roaches and droppings before I cleaned it but again I don't see any charring any where.
Again thank you to anyone who post in advance, I know how to solder but I don't have very much knowledge in TV diagnostics. The model # is SK-26H590D
I have no ties to this TV, it was free as you can imagine but its in pretty nice condition and I definitely have a use for it if I can fix it. I've seen replacement boards for around $30 but I don't want to just start buying parts. Thank you again.

jts1957
Veteran

Jun 1, 2015, 5:25 AM

Post #2 of 4 (2423 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TheTuna] Westinghouse backlight, no picture and no sound. [In reply to] Can't Post

Backlight is on (and stays on) Sounds like Inverter board is working fine. On screen icon would tend to indicate tcon board is good.
Set turns ON & OFF with Power button (on set) - and Power button (on remote) but No other buttons can demonstrate any effect?
Could be Main board or power supply. Does DVD attempt to work? Could try disconnecting connectors to DVD one at a time and see if has any effect on problem.

-------------------------

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Jun 1, 2015, 5:28 AM)

TheTuna
New User

Jun 2, 2015, 4:22 AM

Post #3 of 4 (2411 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Westinghouse backlight, no picture and no sound. [In reply to] Can't Post

...WOW...please tell me you make a fortune doing repairs because, dang, you are good. Please tell me why and how you thought to mess with the DVD. OK maybe I should explain, I read your post, plugged the tv in turned it on, black screen, pressed all the other buttons to try to see a difference and like every time before...nothing. Unplugged it took all the connections off of the dvd player and turned it back on, black screen, but when I started to press the play, stop, ect. buttons the screen turned blue, OK that is weird, possible a blue screen of death in the TV world? Then to my horror, kinda, the blue started to fade to white until the whole screen was white and...click...power saver mode? the blue indication light that turns on when the tv is turned on turned orange. Not really sure what to make of that I waited a few min. and turned it back on, blue screen again, then slowly started to fade to white, but instead of it turning off or power saver, it turned blue again with "SVIDEO NO SIGNAL" recognizing the screen as just a no input screen, I plugged an HDMI cable from my computer up to it and changed the input to HDMI and "BOOM" we got picture, I am currently typing using the TV and have had absolutely no fading or blurring or black screen, and the sound does work.
So question is: How the hell did you know?!
Knowing this was probably just part of your diagnostic run down my actual question is what do you think the original problem was/is why the screen turned blue and faded to white but only after DVD was unplugged? I have turned it on and off extensively so I don't think it was just luck or timing. also if this tells you anything I fed a dvd into the player and it took it with no problem, sounded like it was spinning up and then...nothing, also big surprise I have yet to get the dvd back, it wouldn't respond to either eject buttons. lastly to answer the question you asked, yes when the tv was turned on you could hear the dvd player starting up.
Well this is the actual lastly bit: THANK YOU! I don't know if this thing will last a week but if it does that is awesome. I look forward to hearing what you have to say about this.

jts1957
Veteran

Jun 2, 2015, 6:50 AM

Post #4 of 4 (2403 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TheTuna] Westinghouse backlight, no picture and no sound. [In reply to] Can't Post

The voices in my head told me.

Kids like to 'play' with DVDs. DVDs like VCRs will have some means of determining where the mechanism is in regards to 'timing.'
Although this is more like DVD/ROM drives that are used in a computer.

-------------------------

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.20 s on (CGI/1.1)