Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
tv making buzzing sound

emperor76
New User

Oct 5, 2015, 2:32 PM

Post #1 of 7 (1337 views)
Shortcut
tv making buzzing sound Can't Post

Hi all, I have an Alba LCD40781F1080, it's started making buzzing sound when turned on and the screen flickers, it does this whether the sound is on or off, a quick google led me to believe it's the psu, but I'm not sure.

I'm pretty good with computers as I build them, but with TV's, I feel completely out of my depth, I did watch a video on how to replace a psu, and it seems pretty straight forward so I'd like to give it a go, but I want to be sure it's that before ordering the part, I'd stand no chance whatsoever of repairing it at a component level, thanks in advance for any help

Update: I've just removed the power supply, I can't see any leaking/bulging capacitors or anything, but I can't be sure if there's anything wrong with it, I have nothing to test it with, is there any way to post pictures on here?

(This post was edited by emperor76 on Oct 5, 2015, 7:03 PM)

emperor76
New User

Oct 5, 2015, 8:28 PM

Post #2 of 7 (1307 views)
Shortcut
Re: [emperor76] tv making buzzing sound [In reply to] Can't Post

I now don't think it's the power supply, I took the back off, turned it on and listened for the noise, it wasn't the power supply, it was coming from a board on the far left side of the tv, I found something on ebay that looked similar which I'll post the link to, not exactly the right part, but I don't dare remove this part to check the model number until it's been off for a bit http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/tv-parts-SCREEN-INVERTER-BOARD-SSI320-4UA01-Lcd32advd-Alba-/262076392927?hash=item3d04f865df

(This post was edited by emperor76 on Oct 5, 2015, 8:39 PM)

jts1957
Veteran

Oct 5, 2015, 9:48 PM

Post #3 of 7 (1299 views)
Shortcut

Why not? It is NOT a picture tube that acts like a capacitor when off. Inverters at transformers and CCFL bulbs and connectors - HV AC while working.

While still connected see if you can narrow the noise to a part on the board, a bulb connector or possibly inside of panel behind board.

-------------------------

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Oct 5, 2015, 9:49 PM)

emperor76
New User

Oct 6, 2015, 10:31 AM

Post #4 of 7 (1293 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] tv making buzzing sound [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, thanks, I'll try this in a bit, I actually removed the board and on the back off the board, exactly where a capacitor is on the other side, there's a brown mark, I'm assuming this is a scorch mark, would you say this is the problem?

jts1957
Veteran

Oct 6, 2015, 5:09 PM

Post #5 of 7 (1288 views)
Shortcut

Clean it up with a q-tip / toothbrush and a little alcohol?

Picture and / or board numbers.

emperor76
New User

Oct 7, 2015, 9:55 AM

Post #6 of 7 (1279 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] tv making buzzing sound [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, the Inverter model number is INV40N14A, I've looked at the board further, there are a few really small chips just above the cap (sorry, don't know what they're called) they seem to have a similar colour around them, it doesn't seem like something that would clean off, but I shall try anyway, I'm probably wrong as I haven't tried it yet, I don't currently have any alcohol though <br>

(This post was edited by emperor76 on Oct 7, 2015, 9:55 AM)

jts1957
Veteran

Oct 7, 2015, 10:27 AM

Post #7 of 7 (1274 views)
Shortcut

Sorry to hear about your drinking problem ... Smile

Pictures: http://www.tv-forums.com/...i?post=157911#157911

See IF F101 or F102 have opened.

14 small, 2 large chips. How's your soldering skills? http://www.shopjimmy.com/...onent-repair-kit.htm

or hope board is obtainable ... IF it IS the board.

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Oct 7, 2015, 10:31 AM)

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.21 s on (CGI/1.1)