Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: VCR Repair Forum:
DVD No Disk Error

relned1
New User

Oct 14, 2009, 7:22 PM

Post #1 of 7 (3804 views)
Shortcut
DVD No Disk Error Can't Post

I am trying to repair a Phillips DVD (DVD625). When a Disk is inserted the DVD gives a good try reading it but finally gives up and displays "No Disk". (after a minute or two).

The Laser does come on.

1. I have tried cleaning the lens,

2. Re-seating all connectors - including the two flex connectors which both look good visually . To make sure I have good contacts I carefully applied contact cleaner to both sides of all connectors.

3. Checked the sled (it works well)

4. Checked the drive motor (It spins well)

The DVD plays CDs Fine.

Any Suggestions on what else I might check.

Thanks Much

techchris
Veteran

Oct 15, 2009, 9:04 AM

Post #2 of 7 (3792 views)
Shortcut
Re: [relned1] DVD No Disk Error [In reply to] Can't Post

usual philips problem is a faulty laser not reading info correctly

relned1
New User

Oct 15, 2009, 2:15 PM

Post #3 of 7 (3783 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] DVD No Disk Error [In reply to] Can't Post

What is usually the problem with a faulty Philip laser?

Is it loss of laser intensity over time?

If so, is this true for most Philips DVD models and what Brands have longer life lasers?

Thanks much for your reply,

(This post was edited by relned1 on Oct 15, 2009, 2:19 PM)

techchris
Veteran

Oct 15, 2009, 5:51 PM

Post #4 of 7 (3773 views)
Shortcut
Re: [relned1] DVD No Disk Error [In reply to] Can't Post

the laser gets weak and wont read the info on the disc. going back 2-4 years I was changing lasers on philips machines in my sleep. not so often now as I wont touch them. too much bother. the laser would cost more than the unit is worth probably. Never had much bother with Pioneer or Panasonic (apart from motor spindles). the lasers more than likely were made in China so that gives a clue as to how long it will last, if indeed they make it to the end of the warranty period.

Barry777
User

Jan 18, 2010, 6:47 AM

Post #5 of 7 (3683 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] DVD No Disk Error [In reply to] Can't Post

The laser may still be strong enough, but no longer focusing as well. Depending on the model, you might find one or two very tiny pot adjustments on the laser assembly itself. And if you're lucky and very patient, you may be able to turn them a microscopic amount with a microscopic screwdriver, and eventually get it to play DVD's. It's a tedious procedure, as you have to remove the disc, make a tiny adjustment, and try playing it again. But I've gotten lucky a few times.

The best solution to a defective DVD player is to go back to VCR's.
Barry Fone - VCR Repair hobbyist and professional FAA Repair Station Avionics Bench Technician (top level). TEST EQUIPMENT: (4) Sencore VC93 VCR Analyzers, (11) Tentel gauges, Sencore VA48 and (2) VA62 Video Analyzers, Sigma Electronics TSG-375 NTSC/SMPTE Video Generator, several VCR Alignment Tapes, plus countless Oscilloscopes, Frequency Counters, Wow and Flutter Meters, Distortion Analyzers, Vectorscope, 136-channel Logic Analyzer, Signature Analyzer . . . . VIDEO GEAR: (6) JVC BR-S822U's, (3) JVC BR-7000 series, (3) JVC BR-S500U, (2) JVC BR-S800U, JVC GR-800U and (2) GR-860U Editing Controllers, Sony FXE-100 Video Switcher/Effects Generator, (5) Time Code Generator/Readers, (1) Sony SLO-1800 (Beta), (2) Alesis ADAT-XT, (1) Sony DXC-1200 TV Camera, Pioneer VP-1000 Laser Disc Player plus many consumer grade Beta and VHS VCR's. Passionate electronics enthusiast since 1973...most anything except computers. Check out my collection at www.barrys8trackrepair.com/MyVideoGear.html

jts1957
Veteran

Jan 18, 2010, 10:53 AM

Post #6 of 7 (3681 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Barry777] DVD No Disk Error [In reply to] Can't Post

Both "suggestions" are temporary solutions to permenent problems.

-------------------------

Barry777
User

Jan 18, 2010, 12:56 PM

Post #7 of 7 (3676 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] DVD No Disk Error [In reply to] Can't Post

Right - and being the most "temporary" consumer electronics product developed to date, DVD players are indeed a permanent problem. But amazingly, I've been able to perform this crude procedure on a Yamaha 5-disc DVD changer, which is my "fall asleep to movies" player so is often running 24/7 due to my seldom remembering to turn it off in the morning. The changer has, so far, given me 5 years of passable service - not bad for an eBay venture :-)

But - 5 years maximum from a DVD player compared to VCR's which can, with periodic maintenance, continue on for around 30 years and more? And I'm willing to bet that a great technician can keep them going for another 10 - doesn't sound tremendously temporary to me.

Are you suggesting a more "permanent" solution = purchasing the service manual and the manufacturer's test DVD so it can be repaired properly? Assuming that you already have the required test equipment (which I do), we're talking about laying out at least 3 times as much cash as the player cost new. Not a very practical solution unless you love electronics and want your hobby to be as expensive as possible.
Barry Fone - VCR Repair hobbyist and professional FAA Repair Station Avionics Bench Technician (top level). TEST EQUIPMENT: (4) Sencore VC93 VCR Analyzers, (11) Tentel gauges, Sencore VA48 and (2) VA62 Video Analyzers, Sigma Electronics TSG-375 NTSC/SMPTE Video Generator, several VCR Alignment Tapes, plus countless Oscilloscopes, Frequency Counters, Wow and Flutter Meters, Distortion Analyzers, Vectorscope, 136-channel Logic Analyzer, Signature Analyzer . . . . VIDEO GEAR: (6) JVC BR-S822U's, (3) JVC BR-7000 series, (3) JVC BR-S500U, (2) JVC BR-S800U, JVC GR-800U and (2) GR-860U Editing Controllers, Sony FXE-100 Video Switcher/Effects Generator, (5) Time Code Generator/Readers, (1) Sony SLO-1800 (Beta), (2) Alesis ADAT-XT, (1) Sony DXC-1200 TV Camera, Pioneer VP-1000 Laser Disc Player plus many consumer grade Beta and VHS VCR's. Passionate electronics enthusiast since 1973...most anything except computers. Check out my collection at www.barrys8trackrepair.com/MyVideoGear.html

(This post was edited by Barry777 on Jan 18, 2010, 1:02 PM)

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.18 s on (CGI/1.1)