Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: VCR Repair Forum:
Digital converter box turns self off when recording tape

RussLA
New User

Feb 15, 2010, 2:40 AM

Post #1 of 5 (2780 views)
Shortcut
Digital converter box turns self off when recording tape Can't Post

I have an old analog TV with a Tivax STB-T8 digital converter box. Works fine for live TV watching. Since I can no longer use the timer on my VCR to record, I have to simply turn the TV to the channel I want, then press the Record button on the VCR. I generally turn off the TV at that point, which doesn't seem to affect recording (i.e., the recording will continue with the TV off).

The problem I'm having is that the converter box eventually turns itself off in the middle of the recording. It's happened several times. For example, last weekend I wanted to record the Super Bowl, but I had to leave home 3 hours before the game started. So I started the VCR when I left. When I got home, I noticed the converter box had turned itself off. When I watched the tape, I fast-forwarded three hours to get to the game and began watching. After about an hour of football, I got to the point where the converter box had obviously turned itself off. Thus, the box turned itself off after about 4 hours.

Other times, the converter box will turn itself off after maybe just two hours or some other length of time. It's not consistent.

Any idea why this is happening?

Russ

jts1957
Veteran

Feb 15, 2010, 3:59 AM

Post #2 of 5 (2779 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RussLA] Digital converter box turns self off when recording tape [In reply to] Can't Post

Two boxes I have have an "Inactivity Standby" feature:
Inactivity Standby automatically turns off your converter when it has not been used for a specified number of hours (default is four hours).

You can enable (or disable) and if enabled select from 4, 5, 6, 7 or 8 hours.Cool

From Tivax STB-T9 user manual:
2.7 Auto Power Down Timer
When this item is highlighted, press the OK button you can choose the options: Off, 2 hours, 4 hours. The receiver will enter the standby mode according to the specific setting if the latter two options choose.

-------------------------

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Feb 15, 2010, 4:11 AM)

RussLA
New User

Feb 15, 2010, 4:24 AM

Post #3 of 5 (2773 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Digital converter box turns self off when recording tape [In reply to] Can't Post

You were right. Mine has an Auto Power Down Timer with three settings: 2 hours, 4 hours, and Off. It was set to 4 hours, so I just now turned it to Off.

Darn, wish I had known that before the Super Bowl. It was pretty frustrating not to get to see the second half. Thanks.

Russ

jts1957
Veteran

Feb 15, 2010, 4:30 AM

Post #4 of 5 (2771 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RussLA] Digital converter box turns self off when recording tape [In reply to] Can't Post

It's NOT that they neglect to inform you of their products features. It's more likely you never read the manual (or in one eye out the other).Crazy

-------------------------

RussLA
New User

Feb 15, 2010, 5:13 AM

Post #5 of 5 (2768 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Digital converter box turns self off when recording tape [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, it's definitely my fault. I'm usually pretty good about reading manuals, but not this time. I think it was because I thought the converter box didn't have any functions other than just converting the digital signal to analog.

Another handy feature I just noticed is Manual Channel Set. You can specify either Viewable or Not Viewable for each channel. With that I can turn off all of those in-between channels (e.g., 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, etc.) that I never watch anyway so I don't have to click through them when using the sequential channel changer. However, there is a problem with that in my case. For some reason, channel 2 does not maintain its signal very well on my setup, so I have to do an Auto Scan frequently to get it back, which sets all the channels back to Viewable.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)