Free Games TV Forums

Main Index FORUM
HOME
Search Posts SEARCH
IN
Rules & FAQ RULES
F.A.Q.

Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: VCR Repair Forum:
Erasure protection tab on VHS tape-please help!

phntm29
New User

Jun 3, 2007, 9:13 PM

Post #1 of 3 (13292 views)
Shortcut
Erasure protection tab on VHS tape-please help! Can't Post

I thought that the little tab on my VHS tape would prevent anything on the tape from being accidentally erased, if it is broken off. But apparently, this isn't the case. On more than one occasion, I have accidentally hit the "RECORD" button on my remote control and part of my favourite videos have been erased even though the tab was broken off! Is there something wrong with my VCR or is it the tape? How can I prevent this from happening again in the future (aside from being more carefulTongue)?
Thanks so much!
Sorry if this question isn't relevant to this forum. This is my first time on this discussion board.

denonjapan
Veteran

Jun 3, 2007, 11:12 PM

Post #2 of 3 (13286 views)
Shortcut
Re: [phntm29] Erasure protection tab on VHS tape-please help! [In reply to] Can't Post

ok, there are 2 tabs on VHS. Which one is broken off? Imagine the tape as loading, left or right?. if the tab on the left remain intact although the right side is completely off. it does continue to record. You can protect your recording by removing the left tab most of the time. if both are completely off, it shouldn't record at all.

denonjapan
made in japan

rrobor
Veteran

Jun 7, 2007, 11:59 AM

Post #3 of 3 (13275 views)
Shortcut
Re: [phntm29] Erasure protection tab on VHS tape-please help! [In reply to] Can't Post

You may be as confused as I about the second tab (perhaps a floppy) so dont worry. The tab on the rear left of the cassette if broken out should protect your tapes. There is a small leaf spring switch which if open the video does not record but when you press record it ejects the tape. When you insert a tape with the tab in position the micro senses the switch is closed and it can record. I would suspect you have perhaps been blocking broken out tabs with something and perhaps bent or clogged the switch. IT is a fault though within the VCR . 99% switch 1% micro or other.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.13 s on (CGI/1.1)