Help with VCR repair.

Shakes
New User

Nov 24, 2006, 9:47 PM

Post #1 of 11 (5336 views)
Shortcut
Help with VCR repair. Can't Post

Hello,

I have a JVC vcr thats about 3 years old. For the past 2 weeks my tapes have been playing with no picture, just a blue screen. No sound either. However, when we fast forward or fast rewind the same tapes, we see the picture being fast forwarded, but with fuzzy lines on it. We've used a head cleaning tape to clean the head several time with no success at all.

I opened up the VCR and found a little blackish deposit on the upper side of the silver solid disk, which I assume is the head. I wiped it off with a soft cloth, however, that did'nt work either. Is there a better way to clean the head ?

Alternatively, if the head is not the problem, what is ? The tapes play in another VCR just fine.

Thank you.

ernie
User

Nov 25, 2006, 2:34 AM

Post #2 of 11 (5332 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Shakes] Help with VCR repair. [In reply to] Can't Post

it will be the head.i use a bit of white paper with no lines or writing on it and put a bit of head cleaning solution on it(or if i havent got any i use a bit of surgical spirit)and hold it flat against the head with my finger and spin the head round on it.you must make sure you hold the paper flat and allow the spirit a few minutes to dry before trying it out as if it dont dry out it will tangle the tape up.the head is the round drum in the middle the top part spins round and the bottom stays still dont touch the side of the head with your finger touch the top to spin it whilst holding the paper flat against the side.

denonjapan
Veteran

Nov 26, 2006, 7:08 AM

Post #3 of 11 (5323 views)
Shortcut

Check the manufacturers manual of this symptom if it suggest a wet cleaning or dry cleaning. Prior of doing the contrary, has caused the damaged of the video heads. You will then need to re-place the whole drum.

denonjapan
made in japan

ernie
User

Nov 26, 2006, 11:07 AM

Post #4 of 11 (5322 views)
Shortcut
Re: [denonjapan] Help with VCR repair. [In reply to] Can't Post

thats news to me as i have always wet cleaned the heads on any video and never damaged one yet,however if that is the case just use the paper with nothing on it it should still work,but i have never heard of a head cleaning solution damaging heads yet

denonjapan
Veteran

Nov 27, 2006, 3:13 AM

Post #5 of 11 (5317 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ernie] Help with VCR repair. [In reply to] Can't Post

A lot of consumer do not follow manufacturers instructions. Using harsh objects such as paper or your thumb direct contact to the video heads will push the heads into their chamber during rotation, from that!, it will loose it's reading contact to the film. Therefore no picture is being displayed......if you do so with wet method, you do not use cotton swab, certainly not any kind of paper or cotton.You only need a soft brush like they use for architectural painting. dip into the solution and brush it lightly, then use a blow dryer, hot within 5 seconds. Repeat as needed..................if this method do not respond to your vcr, meaning, you have already damaged the drum from previous cleaning. there 3 or 4 video heads in one drum. Although you have damaged just one? it will not function.
denonjapan
made in japan

ernie
User

Nov 27, 2006, 2:16 PM

Post #6 of 11 (5313 views)
Shortcut
Re: [denonjapan] Help with VCR repair. [In reply to] Can't Post

two things nowhere was it said to use cotton swabs and also i stated not to touch the head with your finger.if you hold the paper flat against the drum then how are you going to push the heads inside as the heads dont protrude outside the drum.nobody sugested digging the edge of the paper in the groove where the heads are.ive noticed something about you denon that is that in one of your posts you said you do not give advice over the net(like a doctor will not diagnose a patient without seeing them).but you are always ready to contredict people therefore if you knew the answer to this chaps query why didnt you post it instead of waiting for someone else to tell him so as you could contridict them
there was one other thing the chaps origanal post said there was a black deposit on what he thincks is the head and he cleaned it of with a bit of soft cloth,if that is so he probably has allready damaged the heads

(This post was edited by ernie on Nov 27, 2006, 2:31 PM)

Shakes
New User

Nov 27, 2006, 4:27 PM

Post #7 of 11 (5309 views)
Shortcut

Well ernie, even though I used a soft cloth let me say that the picture (or rather no picture showed) was exactly the same as compared to before I opened up the VCR. So if the heads were damaged permanently, it seems like its been done much before I even took the cover off the vcr. I've never heard of wet cleaning heads. When can I find the manufacturer's specification on head cleaning ?

Shakes
New User

Nov 27, 2006, 4:29 PM

Post #8 of 11 (5307 views)
Shortcut

What does it cost to replace the heads/drum ? Is it worth it ? I paid $200 canadian for the vcr 2 years ago. I dont understand how the heads could get so badly damaged.

techchris
Veteran

Nov 27, 2006, 6:57 PM

Post #9 of 11 (5302 views)
Shortcut

best not to use cloths as the fluff sticks in the head gap.use a smooth card like a reps calling card with cleaner fluid and hold it on the edge of the headdrum and turn the headdrum with the other hand.you may have to do this several times to get the gunk out of the heads

denonjapan
Veteran

Nov 28, 2006, 2:32 AM

Post #10 of 11 (5298 views)
Shortcut

ERNIE! First of, I was talking to Shake, Read my response again, and YES indeed nobody mentioned above about cotton swabs but the possibility there is came along with my advice in general and in this case it was directed to SHAKE (not you) having this problem or anybody in the future. I said, "if shake decides to clean it with wet solution, I simply suggest a soft lint brush dipped in a solution and (not a PAPER?) and blow it hot dry". and you find it contradicting???? Let me clear things up with your misconceptions about what I said in the previous and from your quote: "ive noticed something about you denon that is that in one of your posts you said you do not give advice over the net(like a doctor will not diagnose a patient without seeing them).but you are always ready to contredict people therefore if you knew the answer to this chaps query why didnt you post it instead of waiting for someone else to tell him so as you could contridict them"

I don't exactly know what to say, but it's clear when rumor spread, it can turn the other way. You just proved it!....... I didn't mean you to understand that way ERNIE!..here's what I said originally: "I am sorry if Most of my responses do not include any part nos and ICs, transistors, power supply or direct suggestions to anyone as I have guidelines and ethics in this regard. (Simply, Doctors can't prescribe medication to a patient upon his/her request over the phone unless fully examined, so do I.) ..if I trigger this example as if you would ask me what's good medicine of a headache, I could simply suggest take tylenol, advil, aleve or motrin not knowing your allergies ... of course! I would rather tell you to take a bathe, take a nap, one or two you may need an eye glass. who knows!

hope you see the difference how you'd understand the thought of what I said.

denonjapan
made in japan

(This post was edited by denonjapan on Nov 28, 2006, 3:29 AM)

denonjapan
Veteran

Nov 28, 2006, 2:44 AM

Post #11 of 11 (5297 views)
Shortcut

Shakes, you also mentioned "However, when we fast forward or fast rewind the same tapes, we see the picture being fast forwarded, but with fuzzy lines on it." . if this is so, then the drums still in good condition but it is dirty! you will need a good cleaning. I have already told you...... do one thing to test it before you do, Get a blank tape? try to record something but play it with the other VCR you have. if it didn't record any. then you will need a new drum.

denonjapan
made in japan

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)