Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: VCR Repair Forum:
JVC BR-S800U Ejects Tape Shortly After Inserting

Cappy
New User

Feb 9, 2015, 4:26 PM

Post #1 of 15 (5500 views)
Shortcut
JVC BR-S800U Ejects Tape Shortly After Inserting Can't Post

I am an industrial electrician and quite confident in my job but, honestly, I don't know anything about the internal workings of a VCR. I'm not even sure on the proper names of the parts but I will attempt to describe what's happening to the best of my ability.

I want to transfer home movies from vhs to dvd. I have a Panasonic DMR-EZ48V Combo unit that I planned on using but the VCR in that unit just produces a horizontal kind of jumpy/snowy screen. The sound is fine though. Tracking does affect the picture but doesn't clear it up. Maybe a good cleaning would fix it???

So I recently picked up a JVC BR-S800U. When I got it, it would not take in tapes. If I pushed it in all the way it wouldn't eject them until I turned the unit off and then on again. After a little searching I found that pressing the counter reset and eject button while turning the unit on would reset the unit to factory default settings???? This helped. The unit will now take tapes in, but shortly after, it ejects them.

I took the top off to see what was happening inside. After inserting the tape the unit turns the tape forward and backward about a quarter turn. Then the video head starts spinning and it pulls the tape out. There is a rubber roller that looks like it should pinch the tape against a spindle but it hardly moves. And it looks to me like the spindle needs to move up or the roller needs to move down to be able to pinch properly. Anyway, it does this twice and then ejects the tape. The tape doesn't move at all after being pulled out. I have tried multiple tapes and they play fine in the Panasonic (except for the bad picture previously mentioned) so I'm sure it's not an issue with the tape. Pressing buttons on the unit doesn't seem to have any effect.

About the Unit:
The left side has an empty bay for maybe 2 expansion cards ????
The right side has a bunch of cards labeled from front to back Video 2, Video 1, Normal Audio, FM Audio, and AV I/O.

It may be I just don't know how to operate the unit so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

jts1957
Veteran

Feb 9, 2015, 5:54 PM

Post #2 of 15 (5493 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cappy] JVC BR-S800U Ejects Tape Shortly After Inserting [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not even sure on the proper names of the parts
It may be I just don't know how to operate the unit

These should help with those two.

http://a248.e.akamai.net/...ls/133/133ez48vk.pdf
http://elektrotanya.com/...&kat2=schematics

http://www.barrys8trackrepair.com/...R-S500U_BR-S800U.pdf
(50mb file. I had to use Jdownloader to obtain as it kept stopping) Operating manual starts on Page 7

-------------------------

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Feb 9, 2015, 5:57 PM)

Cappy
New User

Feb 9, 2015, 10:34 PM

Post #3 of 15 (5480 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] JVC BR-S800U Ejects Tape Shortly After Inserting [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for your quick response. I have read through the manuals but have not been able to get the BR-S800U to play.

Below is a picture of the screen of the Panasonic.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/...05169779212257_o.jpg

(This post was edited by Cappy on Feb 9, 2015, 10:41 PM)

jts1957
Veteran

Feb 9, 2015, 11:39 PM

Post #4 of 15 (5472 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cappy] JVC BR-S800U Ejects Tape Shortly After Inserting [In reply to] Can't Post

Panasonic VCR has 4 video heads. 2 are used for 'EP' play/record and 2 others for 'SP' play/record.
Does the symptom (streaking?) occur while playing a tape that was recorded at one speed but not with a tape that was recorded at the other speed? Or does it occur when playing a tape that was recorded using either speed? Actually you could also try to play a 'LP' tape too.
Page 24 of operating instructions will explain different speeds.
Page 39 for speed display info.

Cappy
New User

Feb 11, 2015, 8:54 PM

Post #5 of 15 (5462 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] JVC BR-S800U Ejects Tape Shortly After Inserting [In reply to] Can't Post

The streaking occurs at both sp and ep speeds. However it is much worse at the sp speed. I have not found any tapes recorded in "LP" (or VP as it is called in the manual). Also, it seems that the only sp tapes I have are store bought and all the ep tapes are home recorded. Don't know if that really matters except that maybe the sp heads have had more use so they are dirtier or more worn???

Any thoughts on why the jvc just ejects the tapes???

Thanks

jts1957
Veteran

Feb 11, 2015, 10:09 PM

Post #6 of 15 (5456 views)
Shortcut

ALL Heads contact ALL tapes.
"LP" is totally different than "VP." I'll presume without reading the whole manual that it is either a speed only certain Panas have or it may be a combo speed where it records majority of the tape at highest video quality (SP) then switches to a slower speed/lower quality once it determines that a tape will run out before event's completion.

Take a recordable tape and make a 1 minute recording (30 seconds at "SP" then 30 seconds at "EP") and see how that looks when played back.

Tarnished basket or mode switch(es) or sensors.

Cappy
New User

Feb 11, 2015, 11:50 PM

Post #7 of 15 (5454 views)
Shortcut

I used another vcr as the source for my recordings since I don't have this unit connected to any other source.

Ok the sp recording was terrible. Not just streaking but also vertical jumping.

The ep recording was very good. I couldn't tell the difference between that and the original.

The vp recording quality was somewhere in between. Some streaking but no vertical jumping.

jts1957
Veteran

Feb 12, 2015, 3:12 AM

Post #8 of 15 (5449 views)
Shortcut

JVC> Any warning codes? (9-1 Pg 47 of SM / Pg 30 of pdf)

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Feb 13, 2015, 7:32 PM)

Cappy
New User

Feb 13, 2015, 2:29 AM

Post #9 of 15 (5400 views)
Shortcut

Not sure which manual I should use. 1 is for 48VP and the other is for 48VGN. My unit is just 48V. Either way, page 47 is a warning for people who use divx in one and repairing dvd in the other.

Page 27 however is self diagnosis and special mode setting. After pressing stop and eject I get:
1st time: 00700
2nd: 100
3rd: 20L00
4th: -----
5th: -----
6th: 6-161
7th: 70L00
8th: takes it out to normal mode

jts1957
Veteran

Feb 13, 2015, 3:59 AM

Post #10 of 15 (5396 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
JVC> Any warning codes? (9-1 Pg 47 of SM / Pg 30 of pdf)

You're the one who decided to put BOTH units into the SAME thread.Tongue

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Feb 13, 2015, 7:31 PM)

Cappy
New User

Feb 13, 2015, 4:37 AM

Post #11 of 15 (5391 views)
Shortcut

I knew that was a mistake when I did itBlush. Im so confusedCrazy Im going to bed.Ill work on it tomorrow.

Cappy
New User

Feb 13, 2015, 2:06 PM

Post #12 of 15 (5378 views)
Shortcut

Ok the codes I posted are for the Panasonic.

JVC
Page 47 in my JVC Manual is about interchangeability of board assemblies. That's 1-6 original page number. The table of contents goes up to 7-29 but the manual ends at 6-50. Warning codes are apparently on page 7-8 so I don't have them.

Panasonic
I decided to try the 90 second test recording I made in another VCR. SP mode played quite well though there was some snow that did not appear in the original. EP was better than SP but again some snow that did not appear in the original. As expected, VP does not play at all on the other VCR.

I'm going out of town for a few days and will continue when I get back.

Thanks again for your help

jts1957
Veteran

Feb 13, 2015, 7:24 PM

Post #13 of 15 (5373 views)
Shortcut

JVC> Page 47 refers to the (paper) page number of the MANUAL ... NOT the pdf page.
I prefer to go with old school numbering ... IF pfd scan caught them.

Edit:
OK. I now see that whomever scanned the JVC manuals has put a number of manuals into the one pdf. And that they are not necessarily in order. So for the JVC I guess we'll have to go with PDF page numbering.Blush

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Feb 13, 2015, 7:34 PM)

jts1957
Veteran

Feb 13, 2015, 8:03 PM

Post #14 of 15 (5366 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Not sure which manual I should use. 1 is for 48VP and the other is for 48VGN. My unit is just 48V. Either way, page 47 is a warning for people who use divx in one and repairing dvd in the other.

Page 27 however is self diagnosis and special mode setting. After pressing stop and eject I get:
1st time: 00700
2nd: 100
3rd: 20L00
4th: -----
5th: -----
6th: 6-161
7th: 70L00
8th: takes it out to normal mode

Pana(sonic)> 7.2.?

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Feb 13, 2015, 8:03 PM)

Cappy
New User

Feb 20, 2015, 11:23 PM

Post #15 of 15 (5345 views)
Shortcut

There is a rubber roller that looks like it should pinch the tape against a spindle but it hardly moves. And it looks to me like the spindle needs to move up or the roller needs to move down to be able to pinch properly.

Turns out that the pinch roller was jammed. A friend of mine was able to free it up and the unit seems to be working fine now. So no more confusion :)

Panasonic yes 7.2

(This post was edited by Cappy on Feb 20, 2015, 11:29 PM)

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.16 s on (CGI/1.1)