Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: VCR Repair Forum:
LG DVD/VCR Combo Slow rewind FF problem and more

simmy
New User

Dec 9, 2008, 9:10 AM

Post #1 of 7 (5361 views)
Shortcut
LG DVD/VCR Combo Slow rewind FF problem and more Can't Post

Recently my vcr started only rewinding/ff very slowly. Sometimes it won't even rewind and just ejects (same with playing). Also when it ejects frequently the tape is not fully rewound into the tape case

Its an LG DVD/VCR combo Model V9822W

Any ideas?

Simmy

techchris
Veteran

Dec 9, 2008, 1:50 PM

Post #2 of 7 (5357 views)
Shortcut
Re: [simmy] LG DVD/VCR Combo Slow rewind FF problem and more [In reply to] Can't Post

check the small felt brake pads are not sticking to the spools.if they get sticky or lumpy, clean and smooth then off with a small nail file. also worth seeing if any labels have come off a tape and stuck in the mechanism.

simmy
New User

Dec 9, 2008, 7:53 PM

Post #3 of 7 (5354 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] LG DVD/VCR Combo Slow rewind FF problem and more [In reply to] Can't Post

<span contenteditable="false"><table border=0 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 width="100%"><!--reply--><tr><td width="2%"><hr width="100%" noshade size="1" color="#A1A576"></td><td width="10%" align=center><font size=1 face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">In&nbsp;Reply&nbsp;To</font></td><td width="87%"><hr width="100%" noshade color="#A1A576" size=1></td></tr></table></span><div style="margin-left: 30px">check the small felt brake pads are not sticking to the spools.if they get sticky or lumpy, clean and smooth then off with a small nail file. also worth seeing if any labels have come off a tape and stuck in the mechanism.</div><span contenteditable="false"><table border=0 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 width="100%"><!--/reply--><tr><td><hr width="100%" noshade size=1 color="#A1A576"></td></tr></table></span>

Don't see any felt pads and everything looks clean, I'm wondering if its an elecronic issue. Its also showing thats it rewinding but not and pushing stop or power or play does nothing

denonjapan
Veteran

Dec 10, 2008, 1:29 AM

Post #4 of 7 (5350 views)
Shortcut
Re: [simmy] LG DVD/VCR Combo Slow rewind FF problem and more [In reply to] Can't Post

This is what Im talking about, why fault the vcr when "CLEARLY" you got stiffed tape? The best thing you could do is> if you have a separate VIDEO CASSETTE REWINDER with REWIND AND FAST FORWARD, do this process > fast forward and rewind the tape till you completely aligned the film evenly, You can see it through the window of the cassette.

denonjapan
made in japan

rrobor
Veteran

Dec 19, 2008, 8:25 AM

Post #5 of 7 (5336 views)
Shortcut

These units suffer from tacky grease in the mode switch, you are not quite describing the fault to match this but its highly likely. If you do open the switch to clean it you need a special lubricant to use in it. Any old grease will not do. you can get a switch cleaner lubricant spray and use that, but standard lubricants cause the machine to do strange things

simmy
New User

Dec 19, 2008, 8:32 AM

Post #6 of 7 (5335 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rrobor] LG DVD/VCR Combo Slow rewind FF problem and more [In reply to] Can't Post

Can you point me to a diagram or picture of what this switch looks like and where it is? Where would I get this special lubricant spray?

Thanks!

rrobor
Veteran

Dec 20, 2008, 1:21 PM

Post #7 of 7 (5331 views)
Shortcut

I dont have that exact model but I believe it will be the same deck mechanism. Over on the right of the video head there is a big cog gear, the switch is under that. There are 2 ways into the thing, remove that gear and get in that way, I dont advise that because you need to retime the unit after that. The other way is remove the entire deck, its only 4 or so screws and a few plugs. Turn it over. You should see two cogwgeels half way under a steel plate. Carefully remove the steel plate. DO NOT turn the cogwheels. With the plate removed mark the teeth of the cogwheels where they mesh so that you can put them back exactly as they are now. I cant remember if you gave to take both wheels off but the one you need is on the right. with that off, you now see the mode switch, a round piece of plastic about 2cm across. Check exactly where that is as per clockwise, mark it so you can get it exactly back to the same tooth. Once you are sure of that, pull the top off. Its got a central shaft with teeth that expand on the other side so you need to put reasonable pressure on it to pull it off, take care not to damage the fingers of the switch which are on the bit you are pulling off. Now clean it all relubricate and rebuild. The trick is take your time and mark everything exactly before you take it off. Tandy etc should have cleaner lubricant or silicone grease.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)