Free Games TV Forums

Main Index FORUM
HOME
Search Posts SEARCH
IN
Rules & FAQ RULES
F.A.Q.

Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: VCR Repair Forum:
Panasonic VCR, how does the tape stay centered?

tundrawolf
New User

Jan 19, 2010, 5:51 AM

Post #1 of 12 (2840 views)
Shortcut
Panasonic VCR, how does the tape stay centered? Can't Post

Hello,

My VCR is putting small creases in the bottom portion of the cassette tape. When I run it with the cover off, I can see somehow the tape itself is being pulled downwards and onto the mechanism. FF and RW both work fine, but playback is suffering. It seems that when the tape is creased like this, it is good for one viewing, then it never works again.

What keep the tape centered during playback? I have lubricated the capstan. I don't know what else to do!

jts1957
Veteran

Jan 19, 2010, 6:30 AM

Post #2 of 12 (2837 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tundrawolf] Panasonic VCR, how does the tape stay centered? [In reply to] Can't Post

Try cleaning all guides and rollers in tape path. Could have too much back tension, or pinch roller problems.

-------------------------

tundrawolf
New User

Jan 19, 2010, 6:46 AM

Post #3 of 12 (2835 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Panasonic VCR, how does the tape stay centered? [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe the tension is off. You mentioned not lubricating the felt friction device, I made sure it was super clean and dry, could this be causing too much tension?

jts1957
Veteran

Jan 19, 2010, 7:10 AM

Post #4 of 12 (2834 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tundrawolf] Panasonic VCR, how does the tape stay centered? [In reply to] Can't Post

Tape ternsion is always being applied. Back tension is what keeps the tape tension more or less constant, from the beginning of the cassette to the end. If it is adjusted too tight, the tape is pulled too tight making takeup mechanism work harder than necessary and can cause the tape to ride too high (or low) on the guides and cause premature head wear. If too loose the tape tension will also be too loose, not allowing proper contact with guides, etc. Playback picture will start to show lines of noise. End of lesson.

tundrawolf
New User

Jan 19, 2010, 7:38 AM

Post #5 of 12 (2832 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Panasonic VCR, how does the tape stay centered? [In reply to] Can't Post

Studying the mechanism, I see that the tension of the felt friction pad tension is controlled by a small arm that double as a tape guide. The spring putting tension on the arm is directly in control of the tension of the felt pad. This is perplexing to me, because the spring tension has not changed, but suddenly the tension is too much? I have also been fouling the video heads very quickly, and too much tension seems to be a likely culprit. Should I be looking for a lighter spring? Unfortunately I have no real way of judging tension. My financial situation precludes me from hiring a serviceman.

jts1957
Veteran

Jan 19, 2010, 8:01 AM

Post #6 of 12 (2830 views)
Shortcut

If you push that back tension guide arm back approximately 1/8" towards its eject (parked) position does it momentarily correct your problem? If so we're on the right track.Cool

tundrawolf
New User

Jan 20, 2010, 3:53 AM

Post #7 of 12 (2824 views)
Shortcut

Well, I have a tape that was eaten by being pushed too far down, and even moving the arm 1" inward doesn't stop it. In fact, it gets worse. I thought I had it!

jts1957
Veteran

Jan 20, 2010, 4:08 AM

Post #8 of 12 (2823 views)
Shortcut

I'm talking about moving the arm - NOT the tape (or whole cassette). CCW (on its pivot point) should tighten (and eventually stop the tape from moving) - CW should loosen.

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Jan 20, 2010, 4:08 AM)

tundrawolf
New User

Jan 20, 2010, 4:10 AM

Post #9 of 12 (2820 views)
Shortcut

You are right, cw loosens, ccw tightens. When I start to go CW past 1/4" the tape just gets eaten up. I didn't move the tape.

jts1957
Veteran

Jan 20, 2010, 4:26 AM

Post #10 of 12 (2818 views)
Shortcut

Can you post a picture of whole tape path for straight above with tape in play and from the front of VCR with no tape (ejected)?

tundrawolf
New User

Jan 20, 2010, 4:53 AM

Post #11 of 12 (2816 views)
Shortcut

Yes sir, I can. I apologize for the quality, I only have a cell phone camera.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/wolfmangk/VCR/0117101214.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/wolfmangk/VCR/0119101936.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/wolfmangk/VCR/0119101937.jpg

If they don't help, I will try to do better.

jts1957
Veteran

Jan 20, 2010, 5:37 AM

Post #12 of 12 (2815 views)
Shortcut

What's happening over by that back tension arm? White piece between full erase and arm?

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.16 s on (CGI/1.1)