Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: VCR Repair Forum:
Playback works perfectly for a few seconds, then image dies

HOTPROPHET69
New User

Aug 26, 2007, 2:24 PM

Post #1 of 19 (4956 views)
Shortcut
Playback works perfectly for a few seconds, then image dies Can't Post

Hi peeps, I have an old Beta machine which I have a problem with. I'm trying to make her run properly so I can record all my old home videos onto my pc with a professional digital recorder I have.

I have been everywhere trying to pinpoint the problem, yet no one seems to have a clue. So this is it...

25% of the tapes work perfectly, i can;t find anything in common between them, all different ages and brands, some home video movies, some professionally recorded movies.

The other 75% all give me the same problem... the image will work perfectly for about 5-10 seconds, the sound will diminish gradually, then everything goes blank, the tape is still playing and everything looks tight in the VCR. But if I push fast forward or rewind for half a second, it'll work for another 5-10 seconds. This problem had started 15 years ago when i decided to go with VHS, never bothered looking into it till a month ago.

Can anything guess what this is? It almost seems like the tracking, but the image remains stable till it just suddenly blanks out with the sound

techchris
Veteran

Aug 26, 2007, 7:34 PM

Post #2 of 19 (4953 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HOTPROPHET69] Playback works perfectly for a few seconds, then image dies [In reply to] Can't Post

have you tried cleaning the heads?manually, not with the useless cleaner tapes

denonjapan
Veteran

Aug 27, 2007, 4:48 AM

Post #3 of 19 (4946 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HOTPROPHET69] Playback works perfectly for a few seconds, then image dies [In reply to] Can't Post

if the image diminished along with the sound. Then I would fault your tape collections entirely. if 25% works perfectly, what happened to those 75% common sense right techchris?Angelic

denonjapan
made in japan

techchris
Veteran

Aug 27, 2007, 7:48 AM

Post #4 of 19 (4945 views)
Shortcut
Re: [denonjapan] Playback works perfectly for a few seconds, then image dies [In reply to] Can't Post

right. maybe the 75% are thin cheap tapes,which, combined with a bit of tapehead wear can cause this

rrobor
Veteran

Oct 5, 2007, 11:59 AM

Post #5 of 19 (4891 views)
Shortcut

Think you might find Chris is correct. I think the heads may be gummy and the tension causes the tape to run out, the odd slack tape may work but others dont. We have a product known as Silvo which is silver polish, you dont need to clean the heads so much as the tape path, polish that till its bright and I think you will fix your issue. Take care to keep the heads out of the way of the polish cloth.

denonjapan
Veteran

Oct 6, 2007, 3:43 AM

Post #6 of 19 (4886 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rrobor] Playback works perfectly for a few seconds, then image dies [In reply to] Can't Post

SlySlySly what the hell are you talking about sister SILVO LOL. You're getting old are you? take care and keep your head polished with silvo instead. another dumb ass!

denonjapan
made in japan

rrobor
Veteran

Oct 7, 2007, 12:39 AM

Post #7 of 19 (4882 views)
Shortcut
Re: [denonjapan] Playback works perfectly for a few seconds, then image dies [In reply to] Can't Post

I suspect its you who has an issue with your reasoning Mr Japan. Silvo is a very fine metal polish which I use in mode switches, tape paths and as a last resort head cleaner. I have fixes many VCRs where the back tension was excessive caused by the tape path being dull. You may have compensated by adjusting the back tension but that machine would never be correct. You also need to learn manners. May I remind you, we just rid ourselves of another guy who seemed to find insulting people funny.

denonjapan
Veteran

Oct 7, 2007, 2:47 AM

Post #8 of 19 (4880 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rrobor] Playback works perfectly for a few seconds, then image dies [In reply to] Can't Post

let me remind you a man who seek comfort ( to be on your sides )towards your alleged defining insult over a discussion is like sterile without backbone. I am referring YOU! so, don't implicate yourself as OURSELVES.> be a MAN and stop acting like a SISSY.
Metal polish is intended for polishing METALS. if your common sense suggested similar use into vcr's and Im convinced, One day you are going to suggest rubbing alcohol is just as good as VODKA. let's face it, this isn't your AREA!

denonjapan
made in japan

(This post was edited by denonjapan on Oct 7, 2007, 4:56 AM)

rrobor
Veteran

Oct 8, 2007, 12:28 AM

Post #9 of 19 (4871 views)
Shortcut

I fixed videos sonny whilst you were still in diepers. let me remind you that the bit the tape wraps around is metal, metal seen through a microscope is rough if tape rubbish and contaminants get on that the glide of the tape is compromised, the tape is then under greater pressure and runs out of alignment. I have fixed many video heads where I have been the second quote which were clogged so badly normal cleaning failed, Silvo did not. If you are so dumb as not to understand that then that is your issue. I have buffed scratches out of picture tubes with toothpaste, I also use white spirit to clean and refresh the impregnated pads of remote controls. That you can not think beyond the square reflects on your narrow education, so please think before you make yourself look more dumb. Also please could you try to educate yourself as to the English language, your usual is a form of pidgin.

denonjapan
Veteran

Oct 8, 2007, 5:19 AM

Post #10 of 19 (4863 views)
Shortcut

HELLOOOO, Is english your only language? and you can't spell? what are those whilst, diepers, impregnated, SONNY?... don't embarrass the Queen sissy boy. speak when you able to pronounce, write when you able to spell. Suggest when you think we have something in common till then, keep buffing and perhaps one day you will get lucky to be impregnated by ERNIE. So how's your first date??? lol. did you fancy a lot of wine? your such a lucky a soon to be GAY MOMMWY. Let me know when is the babyshower, I will FEDEX you some maternity dress by PRADA. GAULTIER will you prefer?

denonjapan
made in japan

rrobor
Veteran

Oct 9, 2007, 4:06 AM

Post #11 of 19 (4854 views)
Shortcut

Personal insults are the sum of you, that they dont concern me is no matter. that you dont argue on a technical point is noted. Also English is just that, if you wish to argue, use the Oxford to prove your point, not Websters.

denonjapan
Veteran

Oct 9, 2007, 5:31 AM

Post #12 of 19 (4849 views)
Shortcut

There were no OXFORD if it wasn't from WEBSTER. You have no sense to differentiate the 2. You can't spell in the first place. You're like the 2 of those dictionaries when combined, you called OYSTERS?. There were no NEW TESTAMENT if it wasn't from the OLD TESTAMENTS. Again, upon seeing the 2 you will call it TESTOSTERONES?. My point to the matter is: neither is your side. What is to argue about?.... You see! you can have all the ANAL INVASION all you want, but you still end up a LADY wanna be... did you get my point?

RROBOR! either personal, financial, economics, physics, business and technical issues won't allow me to discuss those with you cause what forbids me of doing is ETHICS. and you reminded me about manners?. Isn't that word from WEBSTER?....Perhaps along the way, what I most say is this forum may not benefit you personally but others will. and if you didn't sense it from the beginning, I'm just using you as an EYE OPENER to those who give a damn. I'm all this good because of you! Thanks to your stupidity!

denonjapan
made in japan

(This post was edited by denonjapan on Oct 9, 2007, 5:44 AM)

rrobor
Veteran

Oct 9, 2007, 7:54 AM

Post #13 of 19 (4843 views)
Shortcut

Thank you, gibberish like this proves my point. Im done with answering to an idiot. Go away and realise that ignorance like that you log here, looks like just that. Im done answereing to jibberish, the day you can string words together that actually fit, is perhaps the next time I'll respond to you.

denonjapan
Veteran

Oct 9, 2007, 1:26 PM

Post #14 of 19 (4839 views)
Shortcut

You cannot repeat my words after me. I own your enthusiasm therefore, I'm here to control it. You sounds like you were raised in the farm. Your life depended on COW's milk and cheese. MUUAAAKKKKK, MUAKKKKKKKKK, MUAKKKKKKKK.

denonjapan
made in japan

techchris
Veteran

Oct 9, 2007, 7:42 PM

Post #15 of 19 (4834 views)
Shortcut

if you have a year to spare could you translate the last few posts from denonjapan for me!!! maybe I am just stupid but i don't get the direction its all going

rrobor
Veteran

Oct 10, 2007, 2:00 AM

Post #16 of 19 (4825 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] Playback works perfectly for a few seconds, then image dies [In reply to] Can't Post

Its going the wrong direction Chris. I once fixed in a mental institution where one guy was banging his head against the wall, when asked why, it was because its nice when you stop. I think Im banging my head against a wall, but Im not going to try to make sense out of the brickwork.

denonjapan
Veteran

Oct 10, 2007, 4:40 AM

Post #17 of 19 (4822 views)
Shortcut

Its going the wrong direction Chris. You know! you like being in the wrong direction????? and perhaps love the company of another sissy that you been longing for. ( sorry techchris, I like u but sometimes,... It's ok to look into the menu, but once you place your order? You will eat it too!) I once fixed in a mental institution where one guy was banging his head against the wall, when asked why, it was because its nice when you stop. why don't you get realistic here!..You mean, the guy went crazy when you went down on him against the wall and your head looking like this>ShockedShockedShocked and you get mad when he told you to stop cause you refuse to remove your dentures. I think Im banging my head against a wall, but Im not going to try to make sense out of the brickwork. see what I'm saying?Sly

denonjapan
made in JAPON

(This post was edited by denonjapan on Oct 10, 2007, 4:46 AM)

rrobor
Veteran

Dec 29, 2007, 12:07 PM

Post #18 of 19 (4777 views)
Shortcut

Dr Martin Luther King wrote, One day man shall not be judged by his race or the colour of his skin, but by the content of his character.

denonjapan
Veteran

Dec 29, 2007, 4:42 PM

Post #19 of 19 (4773 views)
Shortcut

Ohh so finally you came back from hybernation! lol. good morning to you too.

well my darling!, stop using somebody else's wisdom. He may perhaps wrote that but I don't think he wrote it from the heart. I heard that long time ago. Since, that phrase pertains between black and white mainly in the issue racism. I could never never relate that subject in my position where I'm standing in between. I'm a creation of both mixture of exact precision. Thank god! he know's what he was doing!

denonjapan
made in japan

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.16 s on (CGI/1.1)