Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: VCR Repair Forum:
Sony 8mm Video Recorder

mike123333
New User

Feb 6, 2006, 7:26 PM

Post #1 of 12 (13182 views)
Shortcut
Sony 8mm Video Recorder Can't Post

I have a Sony 8mm model EV-C3 recorder that has detiorated in video quality over the past months. I have used a tape dry cleaning process and mechanically cleaned the video head - appropriate procedure - with a head cleaner. Nothing seems to work.

The picture is very snowy and the audio is not that great either. everything else seems to function well.

I have been searching for several days on this model with no success. All the troubleshooting tips I have read point to possible video head problems. I also came across some service bulletins for this unit that have the same symptoms that my recorder is having ( just reading the header for the service bulletins).

These service bulletins downloaded for a fee are in excess of $100. They are to expensive for just a novice.

A couple of questions:

1. Does anyone know where I can get the service manual for this unit, as well as, the bulletins for a reasonable price.

2. Where is the best place to get replacement originaly parts if available. especially if I need the video head.

Any inputs to helping me out with troubleshooting this unit would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

techchris
Veteran

Feb 6, 2006, 9:45 PM

Post #2 of 12 (13176 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mike123333] Sony 8mm Video Recorder [In reply to] Can't Post

does it play previosly recorded tapes ok? it maybe the pressure roller is worn or shiny or you have worn tape heads and knowing sony prices here in the UK its probably cheaper to buy a new machine

mike123333
New User

Feb 7, 2006, 3:06 AM

Post #3 of 12 (13174 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] Sony 8mm Video Recorder [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the response. The unit does not play recorded tapes. Everything I try to play gives me a snowy picture. I tried playing with the tensioner with no success.

What is the probability of the heads gone bad. I called Sony for a repair cost, they wanted a flat fee of $190 US. I thought that was a bit steep.

I know the video head is expensive. The prices I have gotten range from $89 to $128 for the original sony replacement part.

I have no problem getting a replacement video head, my concern is that if that was not the problem, then I need to replace other components. Which at this stage I have no clue what they may be.

Any other ideas or opinions that I can check in the process of elimination before getting new heads.

Do you have any schematics for this unit.

Sorry for being a bit winded.

Thanks,

Mike

Code

techchris
Veteran

Feb 7, 2006, 7:56 PM

Post #4 of 12 (13171 views)
Shortcut

hi Mike

it sounds like dirty heads to me. have you tried manually cleaning them?if you can remove the cover get a piece of thin card and put some head cleaning fluid on it hold this against the headdrum edge and turn the drum by hand back and forth to clean each head in turn(usually one each side of the drum) you may have to persevere at it if they are really dirty. make sure the heads are dry before you put the tape back in or it will stick to the headdrum (sorry if you knew this already)if this does not work i would guess the heads are faulty, but normally if the fault suddenly appeared as opposed to getting worse slowly its because the heads have picked up gunge off one of your tapes

best of luck.

Chris

mike123333
New User

Feb 8, 2006, 12:53 PM

Post #5 of 12 (13167 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] Sony 8mm Video Recorder [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, I manually cleaned the heads as good as I can, still no go. I proceeded with removing the video head and I was going to order a new head. Unfortunately, while removing the head out of the lower drum assembly, 2 sets of wires that were attached to the drum got cut off. Now I am probably dead out of the water on this unit. I did a good job of unsoldering all the wrie posts, but unfortunately 2 sets were barely sticking to the head.

My question, does sony sell the lower drum assembly or the internal guts of the drum, or can I repair the broken wires by rewinding the internal ring in there. I did manage to take the drum apart and seen how it was constructed. It is nothing but wound wires in a circle. I know that the wire thickness would be important.

If sony does carry it, any idea what the part number is.

Thanks again,

Mike

techchris
Veteran

Feb 8, 2006, 5:15 PM

Post #6 of 12 (13165 views)
Shortcut

in the UK sony sell headdrums complete.i would have thought you could buy a dvd recorder for not much more than the cost of repairing your vcr

denonjapan
Veteran

Feb 15, 2006, 5:46 AM

Post #7 of 12 (13139 views)
Shortcut

A-7049-530-A Part no: of the video head drum upper head. available for just $89.00 / Over ten years it should have been replaced.

Denonjapan

made in japan

mike123333
New User

Feb 16, 2006, 12:27 AM

Post #8 of 12 (13134 views)
Shortcut
Re: [denonjapan] Sony 8mm Video Recorder [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, but I did manage to get the correct Sony number. My problem is trying to get the bottom drum assembly, which is obsolete now. Do you know anywhere that I can get a used bottom drum assembly. I have tried for days on the internet searching with no success. Ebay has outrageous prices for these units- and to many bidders.

Thanks,

Mike

denonjapan
Veteran

Feb 17, 2006, 1:38 AM

Post #9 of 12 (13126 views)
Shortcut

here's a thing! it seems you don't wanna give up that unit which I feel same of my stuffs. The problem right now is:you're going to need the whole deck assembly since you messed up the entire slots. and it's likely EBAY is your last resort! My question to you is: Are you willing?

denonjapan

made in japan

Reinhart
New User

Mar 8, 2007, 6:38 AM

Post #10 of 12 (12857 views)
Shortcut

Here's a tip.

Try recording something with the EV-C3 and then playback the recording on a known good Video8/Hi-8/Digital 8 camcorder or VCR.

If the recording is good, suspect head amp module, likely all surface mount capacitors in it will need to be replaced.

If not, it's still possible for the head amp module to be bad but the problem may also include drifted guidepost adjustments and worn heads.

mike123333
New User

Mar 26, 2007, 2:02 AM

Post #11 of 12 (12839 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Reinhart] Sony 8mm Video Recorder [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the reply, I recently purchased a sony ev-c40 that is experiencing the same problem as my EV-C3. As far as the amp head module and the surface mounted capacitors, how do i go about finding the values of these capacitors. Thanks Mike

HiTech
User

Jun 14, 2007, 7:04 PM

Post #12 of 12 (12738 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I have a Sony 8mm model EV-C3 recorder that has detiorated in video quality over the past months.
The picture is very snowy and the audio is not that great either. everything else seems to function well.

Those two clues right there suggest the infamous demise of tape path alignment so popular in Sony 8mm units. Unfortunately for you, I do not recommend that you try realignment yourself as this is a process that requires quality calibration tape and a specific guidepost tool. I have done dozens of these and the typical repair cost hovered around $75-$90. Aah yes, those Sony 8mm corrders have fed me and my family well, over the years!Wink One other thing to look for is a tracking noise bar in the picture, besides the snow. Do you see a noise line at top or bottom of the picture as well? If so that definite tape path alignment problems. About the only recourse you may be able to do yourself would be to MANUALLY clean the heads. I suggest you browse the net on CLEANING VIDEOHEADS MANUALLY. There is a procedure you use, applying a quality headcleaner such as Intraclean S-111 or similarly hostile chemical to remove stubborn deposits, followed by an immediate flush of the heads with a good, non-alcohol based cleaner solution. Never use alcohol based cleaners as they leave residue. If you wipe the heads vertically, you risk damaging them. ALways horizontal and with just enough enough pressure to do the job. It's an acquired art but it produces sound results where those worthless wet/dry head cleaner cartridges fail. Those things should be banned!

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)