Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: VCR Repair Forum:
Sony Betamax SL-7200 Problems

JawsTDS
New User

Nov 10, 2010, 12:24 AM

Post #1 of 12 (3969 views)
Shortcut
Sony Betamax SL-7200 Problems Can't Post

Hey,I just got an old Sony Betamax SL-7200...and it turns on and works..just wont play tapes..

When there is no tape in the tape deck,it will play when NOTHING is in there...

However when I put my JAWS tapes in there,all it does is make a click sound and do nothing..

if pictures are needed,I will provide them..just please help me :(

jts1957
Veteran

Nov 10, 2010, 12:29 AM

Post #2 of 12 (3966 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JawsTDS] Sony Betamax SL-7200 Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

Worn belts, cracked plastic where "pressed-onto" a metal shaft.

-------------------------

JawsTDS
New User

Nov 10, 2010, 12:47 AM

Post #3 of 12 (3963 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Sony Betamax SL-7200 Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you know how I could possibly fix this issue or is it done with? <br>

(This post was edited by JawsTDS on Nov 10, 2010, 12:48 AM)

jts1957
Veteran

Nov 10, 2010, 1:39 AM

Post #4 of 12 (3954 views)
Shortcut

I gave you two popular possibilities.

A broken or stretched belt should be self-explanatory.

The other could be where a plastic pulley is pressed onto a motor shaft, for example. Let's hope you are better than average at mechanical assembly and disassembly. Once found a half drop of crazy glue applied judiciously should secure, then it's just a matter of reassembling paying attention to proper "timing." Or not.

JawsTDS
New User

Nov 10, 2010, 1:40 AM

Post #5 of 12 (3952 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Sony Betamax SL-7200 Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay thanks :)

Barry777
User

Nov 10, 2010, 3:13 AM

Post #6 of 12 (3948 views)
Shortcut

Hi Jaws,

On these ancient 60 pound beasts, there are many things that probably need attention. Without a technician close at hand, the best thing you can do is take a very close look at everything - belts, pulleys, levers, anything that moves (or should move) when you load tapes or try to use any of the functions. You'll probably need to remove a few circuit board screws and swing out the huge circuit board to see the mechanicals in action. Particularly, you'll want to look for a small pulley that keeps turning when the belt it is driving has stopped (slipping belt). It can be hard to see, so look at it very closely.

Alas, a machine this old probably won't be fixed easily by the average layman, as they tend to be much more complex than the newer machines. Even if you do manage to get the mechanicals working, it is probably in need of electrical alignment, which is impossible without the service manual, a lot of test equipment and a few years of electronics experience.

We do try to help each other out in this forum, but I'm afraid this particular machine may be over your head. Just the same, no one can blame you for giving it your best shot. Good luck!
Barry Fone - VCR Repair hobbyist and professional FAA Repair Station Avionics Bench Technician (top level). TEST EQUIPMENT: (4) Sencore VC93 VCR Analyzers, (11) Tentel gauges, Sencore VA48 and (2) VA62 Video Analyzers, Sigma Electronics TSG-375 NTSC/SMPTE Video Generator, several VCR Alignment Tapes, plus countless Oscilloscopes, Frequency Counters, Wow and Flutter Meters, Distortion Analyzers, Vectorscope, 136-channel Logic Analyzer, Signature Analyzer . . . . VIDEO GEAR: (6) JVC BR-S822U's, (3) JVC BR-7000 series, (3) JVC BR-S500U, (2) JVC BR-S800U, JVC GR-800U and (2) GR-860U Editing Controllers, Sony FXE-100 Video Switcher/Effects Generator, (5) Time Code Generator/Readers, (1) Sony SLO-1800 (Beta), (2) Alesis ADAT-XT, (1) Sony DXC-1200 TV Camera, Pioneer VP-1000 Laser Disc Player plus many consumer grade Beta and VHS VCR's. Passionate electronics enthusiast since 1973...most anything except computers. Check out my collection at www.barrys8trackrepair.com/MyVideoGear.html

JawsTDS
New User

Nov 10, 2010, 3:18 AM

Post #7 of 12 (3947 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Barry777] Sony Betamax SL-7200 Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

I understand what ya mean,...Ill be taking it to an expert thursday so i guess ill see what my options are.

Barry777
User

Nov 10, 2010, 4:10 AM

Post #8 of 12 (3943 views)
Shortcut

That is good news. It COULD be something simple and easy to fix, but I thought I should let you know it could also be many little things that can take hours (or even days) to fix. It depends on many things, including how well it was taken care of, the environment it's been stored in, how much wear on the heads, etc. You'll know more after he looks at it, and I hope you end up with a nicely working piece of Betamax history.
Barry Fone - VCR Repair hobbyist and professional FAA Repair Station Avionics Bench Technician (top level). TEST EQUIPMENT: (4) Sencore VC93 VCR Analyzers, (11) Tentel gauges, Sencore VA48 and (2) VA62 Video Analyzers, Sigma Electronics TSG-375 NTSC/SMPTE Video Generator, several VCR Alignment Tapes, plus countless Oscilloscopes, Frequency Counters, Wow and Flutter Meters, Distortion Analyzers, Vectorscope, 136-channel Logic Analyzer, Signature Analyzer . . . . VIDEO GEAR: (6) JVC BR-S822U's, (3) JVC BR-7000 series, (3) JVC BR-S500U, (2) JVC BR-S800U, JVC GR-800U and (2) GR-860U Editing Controllers, Sony FXE-100 Video Switcher/Effects Generator, (5) Time Code Generator/Readers, (1) Sony SLO-1800 (Beta), (2) Alesis ADAT-XT, (1) Sony DXC-1200 TV Camera, Pioneer VP-1000 Laser Disc Player plus many consumer grade Beta and VHS VCR's. Passionate electronics enthusiast since 1973...most anything except computers. Check out my collection at www.barrys8trackrepair.com/MyVideoGear.html

JawsTDS
New User

Nov 10, 2010, 5:32 AM

Post #9 of 12 (3940 views)
Shortcut

Thanks :) Even if it isnt fixable,Its still nice to have a almost 30 year old betamax player :)

jts1957
Veteran

Nov 10, 2010, 8:40 AM

Post #10 of 12 (3939 views)
Shortcut

As what? As a paperweight?

Barry777
User

Nov 10, 2010, 1:58 PM

Post #11 of 12 (3936 views)
Shortcut

It's most likely fixable; it's just a question of how much work will be needed to fix it, and if any needed parts are still available. Most of the AN-xxxx integrated circuits were made strictly for VCR functions, and disappeared even from the surplus market very quickly to be replaced by massive single processors that did the work of many of those chips. In some cases, a spare parts unit is needed to make one good machine from two bad ones. But it sounds like yours will be just a matter of mechanical service, and probably a new incandescant end sensor lamp. Definitely a new set of belts and idler tires.

My passion for Beta is passing, so I may be selling off a few Beta machines and some 300 Beta movies if you're interested. Some of my Beta machines are not stereo or Hi-Fi and don't have cable tuners, but are good solid players for movies.

jts, you are BAD! If it can't be fixed, it can be converted to an iron lung for my 2 pack a day habit. VHS will only work as kidney machines. U-Matic works great as an artificial heart, but my mobility is greatly limited.

jts1957
Veteran

Nov 10, 2010, 6:19 PM

Post #12 of 12 (3935 views)
Shortcut

I thought they just worked for bladder and bowels. Wink

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.16 s on (CGI/1.1)