Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: VCR Repair Forum:
Sony SLV-555UC ejects record protected tapes

TheWeazel
New User

Feb 22, 2006, 6:52 PM

Post #1 of 8 (3691 views)
Shortcut
Sony SLV-555UC ejects record protected tapes Can't Post

Hello there. I have a Sony SLV-555UC that will eject record protected tapes but not blank tapes that haven't had the tab broken off. Also, when I play the tapes that have the tab intact the audio is broken up and the picture is black with static lines through it. The front lcd display looks dim, so maybe a power issue?? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
-Jason

denonjapan
Veteran

Sep 23, 2006, 3:08 PM

Post #2 of 8 (3594 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TheWeazel] Sony SLV-555UC ejects record protected tapes [In reply to] Can't Post

JASON! considering your SLV-555UC is over 15 years to almost 20, it constantly remind you of total overhaul the unit. I Couldn't relate to the problem with the tape regarding tab on to tab off. You need a new drum regarding picture problem but I doubt if SONY still carry them. Anyhow, use drums from SLVR-5UC, 575UC,676UC, or any in UC MODELs are compatible to your vcr if you wanna continue it's service. The display is FLOURESCENT not LCD. Power issue didn't cause it to dim. Flourescent dims overtime! and for your future reference > ( same with PLASMA! )

denonjapan
made in japan

techchris
Veteran

Sep 23, 2006, 5:03 PM

Post #3 of 8 (3591 views)
Shortcut
Re: [denonjapan] Sony SLV-555UC ejects record protected tapes [In reply to] Can't Post

I think what denonjapan i saying is dump it!!

MOtvGuy
User

Oct 14, 2006, 12:43 AM

Post #4 of 8 (3552 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] Sony SLV-555UC ejects record protected tapes [In reply to] Can't Post

The 555 was a nice VCR....

in it's day. Which was around 10-15 years ago. Wink

rrobor
Veteran

Nov 3, 2006, 11:10 AM

Post #5 of 8 (3493 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TheWeazel] Sony SLV-555UC ejects record protected tapes [In reply to] Can't Post

The VCR should eject tapes with the tab off if you try to record on them. Your other issues sound like the supply capacitors drying out. a common fault on all ageing units.

TheWeazel
New User

Nov 3, 2006, 5:05 PM

Post #6 of 8 (3490 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rrobor] Sony SLV-555UC ejects record protected tapes [In reply to] Can't Post

No, someone told me it had something to do with the IR auto rewind sensor... It will play the tape it I manually wind it so the clear tape is not showing.

MOtvGuy
User

Nov 4, 2006, 3:41 PM

Post #7 of 8 (3487 views)
Shortcut

Jason, it sounds like you've got multiple problems with the unit. Not uncommon due to the age. One other thing to look at is the record/play switching circuitry. It's possible a record switching transistor is shorted putting a high on the record line and throwing the entire play/record circuitry into confusion. But again, due to the age of this unit its really difficult to tell without first person experiencing the problem.

Barry777
User

Jan 18, 2010, 1:25 PM

Post #8 of 8 (2819 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MOtvGuy] Sony SLV-555UC ejects record protected tapes [In reply to] Can't Post

Multiple problems are usually caused by something feeding multiple circuits - like power supply capacitors (ahem)? Always recap the power supply (electrolytics only) as the first step - it's usually the problem.
Barry Fone - VCR Repair hobbyist and professional FAA Repair Station Avionics Bench Technician (top level). TEST EQUIPMENT: (4) Sencore VC93 VCR Analyzers, (11) Tentel gauges, Sencore VA48 and (2) VA62 Video Analyzers, Sigma Electronics TSG-375 NTSC/SMPTE Video Generator, several VCR Alignment Tapes, plus countless Oscilloscopes, Frequency Counters, Wow and Flutter Meters, Distortion Analyzers, Vectorscope, 136-channel Logic Analyzer, Signature Analyzer . . . . VIDEO GEAR: (6) JVC BR-S822U's, (3) JVC BR-7000 series, (3) JVC BR-S500U, (2) JVC BR-S800U, JVC GR-800U and (2) GR-860U Editing Controllers, Sony FXE-100 Video Switcher/Effects Generator, (5) Time Code Generator/Readers, (1) Sony SLO-1800 (Beta), (2) Alesis ADAT-XT, (1) Sony DXC-1200 TV Camera, Pioneer VP-1000 Laser Disc Player plus many consumer grade Beta and VHS VCR's. Passionate electronics enthusiast since 1973...most anything except computers. Check out my collection at www.barrys8trackrepair.com/MyVideoGear.html

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)