Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: VCR Repair Forum:
VCR (analog) won't record converted digital-to-analog signal

RussLA
New User

Sep 11, 2009, 9:45 PM

Post #1 of 5 (2046 views)
Shortcut
VCR (analog) won't record converted digital-to-analog signal Can't Post

I have an old analog TV plus a converter box, which works fine for watching TV. However, my VCR will not record the converted signal, even if I manually press Record. The recorded result is kind of like snow, but looks more like a "scrambled" picture--distorted black and white staticky and irregular lines and shapes (kind of like what you might get during a thunderstorm).

My connections are: Antenna goes to "RF In" on the converter box; "RF Out" on converter box goes to "In from antenna" on the VCR; "Out to TV" on VCR goes to TV.

I don't understand why the analog signal that is being output from the converter box isn't recognized by the VCR.

I've tried this on two VCRs and got the same result on both.

jts1957
Veteran

Sep 12, 2009, 12:49 AM

Post #2 of 5 (2043 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RussLA] VCR (analog) won't record converted digital-to-analog signal [In reply to] Can't Post

How does the "Live" picture look through the VCR?Wink
Could try outputting RCA Audio/Video to the VCR from the DTV box.
Be sure VCR is "tuned" correctly (or for RCA's - set on correct "Input").Wink
Does it play other tapes (at the SAME speed you're attempting to record)?

-------------------------

RussLA
New User

Sep 12, 2009, 3:01 AM

Post #3 of 5 (2040 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] VCR (analog) won't record converted digital-to-analog signal [In reply to] Can't Post

The "live" picture looks good through the VCR--the same quality as I get with the VCR turned off.

Interesting idea to connect the DTV box and VCR with RCA cables. I have some RCA audio cables (red & white) but not a video cable. I'll have to pick up an RCA video cable. And I'll be sure to go into the VCR setup to specify RCA's for the Input.

I'm using a different VCR now as a result of your recent help in determining that my SP heads were bad on my other machine. This one (a Go Video dual deck) plays tapes at both SP and EP speeds with no problem. I tried to record at both speeds and neither worked.

Thanks for helping me out on all this stuff.

jts1957
Veteran

Sep 12, 2009, 5:09 AM

Post #4 of 5 (2039 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RussLA] VCR (analog) won't record converted digital-to-analog signal [In reply to] Can't Post

Use another audio one.

Sometimes a button/switch on remote (or VCR): "Line," "Source," "Aux," "Input."

Try "Dubbing" A to B and B to A. If one or both succeed, you'll at least know Go Video is capable of making a good recording.

No Problem.

-------------------------

RussLA
New User

Sep 13, 2009, 2:56 AM

Post #5 of 5 (2033 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] VCR (analog) won't record converted digital-to-analog signal [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, after a long day of trying to get it to work, I finally got it. The thing that threw me a curve was that there were two settings I had to make for the RCA connections, not just one. I had made one of them right from the start and figured that was all that was necessary ("A/V Input," which I set to "Line 1"). The tests with that setup recorded the sound okay, but there was no picture.

Finally, I noticed there was a "Record/Edit" settings category, and one of the settings for Record Source was "Line 1." So once I set that, which matched the A/V Input setting, I got a picture along with the sound.

Thanks for getting me through it.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)