Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: VCR Repair Forum:
VCR NOT RWINDING OR FAST FORWARD OR REVERSE

MUSKY
New User

Feb 28, 2012, 7:45 PM

Post #1 of 6 (2535 views)
Shortcut
VCR NOT RWINDING OR FAST FORWARD OR REVERSE Can't Post

I have a GE VIDEO RECORDER # 1CVD4020X, the portable kind with the separate tuner and remote camera. It’s about 25 years old and has been stored unused for about 20 years. When I stored it everything worked fine no problems.

Recently when I tried the recorder nothing worked. It tried to start and then shut down by itself. I opened the case, vacuumed it out and sprayed WD40 on the pivot points and levers and blew it out with compressed air. The workings look nice and clean and everything is dry.

In summary I have the following now:

The camera is fully functional and the recorder records on tape what the camera sees. The camera remote functions all work. My problems are with the recorder. It will play a tape but it doesn’t rewind, it doesn’t fast forward and doesn’t fast reverse. It tries too but there sounds like slippage and then shuts down by itself. Fast scan forward and fast scan reverse are working OK. I looked all over for something to adjust but couldn’t find anything.

Can this unit be saved or should I scrap it? Thank you.

(This post was edited by MUSKY on Feb 29, 2012, 12:14 AM)

jts1957
Veteran

Feb 29, 2012, 6:47 AM

Post #2 of 6 (2525 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MUSKY] VCR NOT RWINDING OR FAST FORWARD OR REVERSE [In reply to] Can't Post

WD-40 was a mistake. SMALL amount of light oil would be a better choice.

Fast Forward / Rewind idler needs to be replaced or have it's tire roughened / replaced.

You might try roughening up the tire surface with an emery board.

I usually remove or fool basket mechanism into thinking it has a tape inside, put the machine into FF and hold the emery board against the spinning idler tire for more even results.

-------------------------

MUSKY
New User

Feb 29, 2012, 3:09 PM

Post #3 of 6 (2520 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] VCR NOT RWINDING OR FAST FORWARD OR REVERSE [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks very much for the tip! I will try the emery board approach. I located the tire but don’t know how to fool the recorder. Would you tell me how?

MUSKY
New User

Mar 3, 2012, 2:13 PM

Post #4 of 6 (2466 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MUSKY] VCR NOT RWINDING OR FAST FORWARD OR REVERSE [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks very much for the tip! I will try the emery board approach. I located the tire but don’t know how to fool the recorder. I found a contact that closes when the cassette is in but that wasn’t enough to fool it. Would you tell me what I need to do to fool it?

jts1957
Veteran

Mar 3, 2012, 8:22 PM

Post #5 of 6 (2463 views)
Shortcut

1) use a "dummy" tape

&/or

2) close necessary switches and defeat end sensors.

-------------------------

MUSKY
New User

Mar 4, 2012, 5:29 PM

Post #6 of 6 (2455 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] VCR NOT RWINDING OR FAST FORWARD OR REVERSE [In reply to] Can't Post

Where would I obtain a new wheel? Is it available on line? Parts supplier?

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)