ok can you please tell me thanks

Barry777
User

Sep 2, 2010, 1:12 PM

Post #4 of 10 (3005 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jmann83] fisher fvh-805 [In reply to] Can't Post

jts, you are a HOOT!

Changing the belts on the Fisher FVH series should be like most other VCR's - look closely at how they are installed, determine if anything needs to be taken off (like a capstan retainer bracket, etc.), remove the old belts and stick new ones in there. But I would be more concerned about the idler tire, which will certainly need replacement if the belts are also bad. On some of the FVH's, it is impossible without either taking the mechanism completely apart or taking a pair of tin snips to the chassis - neither of which I would recommend to the casual hobbyist.

You can usually find the service manual at www.servicemanuals.net for about $20. You can download it as soon as you pay with a credit card. The manual will show you exactly how to do most routine maintenance. And once you purchase your first item from them, they give you a 20% discount for LIFE.
Barry Fone - VCR Repair hobbyist and professional FAA Repair Station Avionics Bench Technician (top level). TEST EQUIPMENT: (4) Sencore VC93 VCR Analyzers, (11) Tentel gauges, Sencore VA48 and (2) VA62 Video Analyzers, Sigma Electronics TSG-375 NTSC/SMPTE Video Generator, several VCR Alignment Tapes, plus countless Oscilloscopes, Frequency Counters, Wow and Flutter Meters, Distortion Analyzers, Vectorscope, 136-channel Logic Analyzer, Signature Analyzer . . . . VIDEO GEAR: (6) JVC BR-S822U's, (3) JVC BR-7000 series, (3) JVC BR-S500U, (2) JVC BR-S800U, JVC GR-800U and (2) GR-860U Editing Controllers, Sony FXE-100 Video Switcher/Effects Generator, (5) Time Code Generator/Readers, (1) Sony SLO-1800 (Beta), (2) Alesis ADAT-XT, (1) Sony DXC-1200 TV Camera, Pioneer VP-1000 Laser Disc Player plus many consumer grade Beta and VHS VCR's. Passionate electronics enthusiast since 1973...most anything except computers. Check out my collection at www.barrys8trackrepair.com/MyVideoGear.html

jts1957
Veteran

Sep 3, 2010, 3:37 AM

Post #5 of 10 (3002 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Barry777] fisher fvh-805 [In reply to] Can't Post

He asked a simple question, I gave the most simple answer I could.Wink

Remember, the Idler you're talking about (rubber tire) is for fast forward and rewind (and I'm not sure, for winding the tape slack back into the cassette right before it ejects).
The Idler gear assembly handles play/record and forward search (cue)/reverse search (review) functions.

-------------------------

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Sep 3, 2010, 3:44 AM)

Barry777
User

Sep 4, 2010, 10:03 PM

Post #6 of 10 (2987 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] fisher fvh-805 [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes I keep forgetting about the split idler functions. I did a bunch of FVH's back in the 80's without even knowing that! Thankfully, I never had any trouble with the idler itself, just that little skinny-ass tire that also made an emergency loading belt when stock ran low. I couldn't believe they would build such a nice, solid machine - then use that crappy little tire. Job security for the tech trade, perhaps?
Barry Fone - VCR Repair hobbyist and professional FAA Repair Station Avionics Bench Technician (top level). TEST EQUIPMENT: (4) Sencore VC93 VCR Analyzers, (11) Tentel gauges, Sencore VA48 and (2) VA62 Video Analyzers, Sigma Electronics TSG-375 NTSC/SMPTE Video Generator, several VCR Alignment Tapes, plus countless Oscilloscopes, Frequency Counters, Wow and Flutter Meters, Distortion Analyzers, Vectorscope, 136-channel Logic Analyzer, Signature Analyzer . . . . VIDEO GEAR: (6) JVC BR-S822U's, (3) JVC BR-7000 series, (3) JVC BR-S500U, (2) JVC BR-S800U, JVC GR-800U and (2) GR-860U Editing Controllers, Sony FXE-100 Video Switcher/Effects Generator, (5) Time Code Generator/Readers, (1) Sony SLO-1800 (Beta), (2) Alesis ADAT-XT, (1) Sony DXC-1200 TV Camera, Pioneer VP-1000 Laser Disc Player plus many consumer grade Beta and VHS VCR's. Passionate electronics enthusiast since 1973...most anything except computers. Check out my collection at www.barrys8trackrepair.com/MyVideoGear.html

jts1957
Veteran

Sep 4, 2010, 11:25 PM

Post #7 of 10 (2984 views)
Shortcut

Or they didn't want to take ANY chances that it would rip the tape out of the cassette.Wink

Barry777
User

Sep 4, 2010, 11:37 PM

Post #8 of 10 (2982 views)
Shortcut

jts, I have a confession to make, and I hope you won't turn me in....

On those Fishers that didn't have that semicircular cutout in the chassis to facilitate easy removel of the idler assembly (the part with the wheel and tire), I use to make my own cutout with tin snips - and it looked like hell. But it saved a few hours of work! Geez, I was a white technician trapped in a black man's procedures.

jts1957
Veteran

Sep 4, 2010, 11:51 PM

Post #9 of 10 (2980 views)
Shortcut

By removing the split washer from top pulley of idler gear assembly, then removing the pulley itself along with spacer washer, I could carefully flex the arm that the toothed gear was mounted to, enough that teeth would barely clear the metal of the chassis. Once the idler gear assembly was out of the way (and takeup reel was removed) and its spring was removed the FF/Rew idler came out easily.

I had thought about doing it with nibblers, and even had one or two (?of yours? Wink) where that had been done come through here.

Barry777
User

Sep 5, 2010, 5:18 AM

Post #10 of 10 (2978 views)
Shortcut

If it looked sloppy as hell and in danger of cutting off your finger if you weren't careful, then I guess a couple of my old customers moved to your area :-) I also use a 10" mill file on video heads to clean them faster, and a few pumps of epoxy in the right place keeps them from getting loose and spinning around HEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!

Since so many people are using "Tire Wet" on their cars, I decided to start oiling the belts to make them look like new again - also makes the machine run quieter.

ANYBODY NEED THEIR VCR REPAIRED?

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)