Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: VCR Repair Forum:
general vcr problem

Rob64
New User

Feb 10, 2010, 10:47 PM

Post #1 of 13 (3683 views)
Shortcut
general vcr problem Can't Post

I encountered this problem on 3 different vhs of different brands and I don't know how to fix it.

I would go put tape A in, enjoy the tape then put it away.

I would then put tape B in, and then I would get the horizontal lined scramble but the audio from the tape still comes in.

I would then put tape A in again and I get the same results tape B.

What causes this problem and how do I fix it?

jts1957
Veteran

Feb 11, 2010, 12:40 AM

Post #2 of 13 (3682 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rob64] general vcr problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Buy a Blueray?

-------------------------

Rob64
New User

Feb 11, 2010, 12:50 AM

Post #3 of 13 (3680 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] general vcr problem [In reply to] Can't Post

very funny. I want to keep watching my vhs tapes, what I have is irreplaceable. Anyone here able to help?

techchris
Veteran

Feb 11, 2010, 6:08 PM

Post #4 of 13 (3676 views)
Shortcut

check the pressure roller is not worn,so pulling the tape off centre as it passes.

jts1957
Veteran

Feb 11, 2010, 11:11 PM

Post #5 of 13 (3673 views)
Shortcut

He's saying your tapes may have edge damage.

If you do get a machine working ... job #1: rerecord your "irreplaceable" onto newer media.

Rob64
New User

Feb 12, 2010, 3:06 AM

Post #6 of 13 (3671 views)
Shortcut

edge damage? I would convert to dvd but there's something about vhs that I like too much to convert it. I know for a fact that the majority of those tapes are good, but I'm not sure why I'm getting the black and white horizantal snowy type of lines while still getting the full audio.

What is edge damage? how do I fix it? will it fix my problem?

jts1957
Veteran

Feb 12, 2010, 8:38 AM

Post #7 of 13 (3669 views)
Shortcut

Now you're making it sound like it has a tracking or tape path problem. Can you post a pix or video of problem? What is brand/model number? All tapes tried: have they been recorded on the same speed (EP/SLP or LP or SP)? By the same machine?

Rob64
New User

Feb 12, 2010, 1:06 PM

Post #8 of 13 (3667 views)
Shortcut

Unfortunately I can't upload a pic or vid.

I think the brand or model number is irrelevant here because the problem has occurred on 3 machines of different brands.

I have tapes recorded at many speeds and I have official tapes that I tried.

If memory serves, one of the three vcrs that I tried it in may have been the one that recorded the tape.

Hope this all helps.

techchris
Veteran

Feb 12, 2010, 6:51 PM

Post #9 of 13 (3665 views)
Shortcut

make and model are important as we are not psychic and different makes have different faults.

Barry777
User

Mar 13, 2010, 2:19 AM

Post #10 of 13 (3612 views)
Shortcut

If your VCR has not played a tape satisfactorily since you had the original problem, you should try cleaning the video heads or using a head cleaning tape. The description of the problem isn't quite detailed enough to make an accurate assessment, but one of your video heads might be dirty - especially if your picture has a pronounced flicker.

"Horizontal line scramble" can mean many different things. If you remember the old TV sets with a horizontal hold control, having that control misadjusted will cause one type of horizontal line scramble, and is also somethng that can occur in a VCR. Another type of "horizontal line scramble", for instance, can happen when there is arcing in the video drum's rotary transformer. In this case, you would see a random flashing of thin, bright horizontal lines running randomly through the picture at irregular intervals.
Loss of vertical synchronization (rolling) could also be thought of as horizontal line scramble if the sync is especially faulty - the black blanking bars between picture frames can run by so fast that it appears as a "scramble" rather than a rolling picture.

A video, or at least a picture, would be very helpful as each form of scramble I've described is caused by very different things. Does it look like terrible tracking? Can you see any picture at all? Does it come and go? Does it ever clear up, even for a moment? Can you smack the side of the VCR and change it at all?
Barry Fone - VCR Repair hobbyist and professional FAA Repair Station Avionics Bench Technician (top level). TEST EQUIPMENT: (4) Sencore VC93 VCR Analyzers, (11) Tentel gauges, Sencore VA48 and (2) VA62 Video Analyzers, Sigma Electronics TSG-375 NTSC/SMPTE Video Generator, several VCR Alignment Tapes, plus countless Oscilloscopes, Frequency Counters, Wow and Flutter Meters, Distortion Analyzers, Vectorscope, 136-channel Logic Analyzer, Signature Analyzer . . . . VIDEO GEAR: (6) JVC BR-S822U's, (3) JVC BR-7000 series, (3) JVC BR-S500U, (2) JVC BR-S800U, JVC GR-800U and (2) GR-860U Editing Controllers, Sony FXE-100 Video Switcher/Effects Generator, (5) Time Code Generator/Readers, (1) Sony SLO-1800 (Beta), (2) Alesis ADAT-XT, (1) Sony DXC-1200 TV Camera, Pioneer VP-1000 Laser Disc Player plus many consumer grade Beta and VHS VCR's. Passionate electronics enthusiast since 1973...most anything except computers. Check out my collection at www.barrys8trackrepair.com/MyVideoGear.html

(This post was edited by Barry777 on Mar 13, 2010, 2:20 AM)

Rob64
New User

Mar 15, 2010, 2:20 AM

Post #11 of 13 (3604 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Barry777] general vcr problem [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually tried a totally different vcr

Some RCA brand that I used when I was a kid. And that works very well. I just have to find the remote for it.

JohnRocks
User

Apr 26, 2010, 4:41 AM

Post #12 of 13 (3560 views)
Shortcut

Although tape problem is not simple one, if yet you want to get it repaired by it self own, you reset it's counter otherwise go to a repair master.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Rackmount LCD Monitor
USB KVM

denonjapan
Veteran

May 4, 2010, 1:11 AM

Post #13 of 13 (3539 views)
Shortcut

if u can afford a plane ticket, come to my backyard in Japan to your disposal. SERIOUS! something u haven't seen.

denonjapan
made in japan

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.16 s on (CGI/1.1)