F.A.Q.

Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: VCR Repair Forum:
proscan psvr72 vcr - steps and procedure to replace idler assembly needed

spotlite
New User

Jul 12, 2010, 11:55 PM

Post #1 of 9 (4141 views)
Shortcut
proscan psvr72 vcr - steps and procedure to replace idler assembly needed Can't Post

I have an older proscan vcr psvr72 and it now eats tapes and in desperation
want to at least try to replace idler assembly (have never been inside vcr before)

Am looking for section of the service manual that tells how and what to remove to get at that idler assembly - at a first glance it does seem some other parts or subassenblies would need to be removed which I think is probably typical.

Had a few of questions/requests about this:

- anyone have that part of the psvr72 or equivalent service manual that could be posted ?
(am aware that the manuals can be purchased; they are expensive)

- are there other models/brands with internals same as this psvr72 ?
( so that if had access to some other service manuals, since might have access to manuals of the psvr 62 and 82 for example, I could use the applicable sections of those manuals.)

- if anyone knows the specific steps for this model in any case to take as to what to remove and how to remove it to get at the idler assembly and how to then remove it, would be great to see, since at least it would give a clue as to how many sections or layers of the vcr would need to be removed just to get to the idler assembly to then remove it.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

jts1957
Veteran

Jul 13, 2010, 12:51 AM

Post #2 of 9 (4139 views)
Shortcut
Re: [spotlite] proscan psvr72 vcr - steps and procedure to replace idler assembly needed [In reply to] Can't Post

If you can post pictures of the mechanisms, it might jog some memories. Also what is "UL" code & possibly 1st three characters of FCC ID number (if it has one). Based on remote, I'd speculate Toshiba made, but remember, that's still just a guess.Wink

-------------------------

spotlite
New User

Jul 13, 2010, 3:26 AM

Post #3 of 9 (4133 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] proscan psvr72 vcr - steps and procedure to replace idler assembly needed [In reply to] Can't Post

jts,

here is some of the info you asked about - I googled and learned the terms first

1. FCC ID - ACJ 927104AH - fcc dbase says panasonic
which is matsushita - confirmed by
http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_vcrfaqd.html
section 23.4

2. UL code also of 679F stated to be Matsushita as per previous web page

3. also on the vcr label are a box that has SA in it
with these numbers below it - LR40389

4. also on the label at bottom are VGNS4418

and on separate upc label aside from upc is
VQLS4206

5. the manual mentions about thompson electronics
which I think is or was related to RCA in 1998 when it was made; dont know if this is helpful info since it was
really made by matsushita.

Thanks.

jts1957
Veteran

Jul 13, 2010, 5:06 AM

Post #4 of 9 (4131 views)
Shortcut
Re: [spotlite] proscan psvr72 vcr - steps and procedure to replace idler assembly needed [In reply to] Can't Post

That's what I wanted to determine. You have a late '90s Panasonic.
Still, pictures would help.Cool

spotlite
New User

Jul 14, 2010, 11:39 PM

Post #5 of 9 (4119 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] proscan psvr72 vcr - steps and procedure to replace idler assembly needed [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't have a camera at the moment, or in cellphone
either but will try to borrow one

in the meantime, wanted to ask, since you mention
that I have in essence a late 90's panasonic,
I guess I still need to find out which panasonic
model family or perhaps chassis family (if thats the
right way to put it) I have, so can then search for the extract of the correct panasonic manual to find out what and how to remove to get at that idler assembly.
(since the proscan manuals are very expensive for this effort especially but might have access to some panasonic ones)

another way to ask all this is if you think that the proscan psvr62 or psvr82 would be the same as mine ?
(psvr72)

I do have a lead on those manuals, but not on those
actual vcrs to look at the fcc and other id numbers or internals since its just the manuals that someone has
and it will be a lot of effort for them to start looking for and at those manuals unless they know they are the same as for the one I have--

that is, were all late 90s's panasonic vcrs such as these the same internals/chassis ? or at least these with these close model numbers ?
(am assuming here the psvr62 and 82 are late 90s also)

again, I do know that the pictures are only sure way to tell but wanted just to ask above until I can get them

thanks again.

jts1957
Veteran

Jul 15, 2010, 2:41 AM

Post #6 of 9 (4114 views)
Shortcut

Matsushita would design a mechanism (usually assigned a letter: G-mechanism, k-mechanism, etc. They would then design a number of electronic chassis with various features / selling points and would add /change parts on the mechanism accordingly.
Since Matsushita is parent to Quasar, Panasonic and numerous "house" brands, they could mix-n-match functions to obtain a wide variety of machines.Unimpressed

See if this is even close:
http://elektrotanya.com/...sm.pdf/download.html

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Jul 15, 2010, 2:57 AM)

spotlite
New User

Jul 15, 2010, 5:19 PM

Post #7 of 9 (4099 views)
Shortcut

Wow, sure looks close to me at first glance, will look closer at vcr to compare.
(and the idler assembly also looks same as one on my vcr as well)

Thanks for the pointer to that site !

I don't think its k mechanism - looking at that manual from the site you mentioned -
I do see g and a couple other panasonic mechanisms docs I'll look at there also when can download again.

However, if I'm reading this correctly, regardless of the other features of my model, assuming its a z mechanism, the steps in z mechanism manual need to be followed to get at the parts of any vcr that uses z mechanism ?

And from reading that manual and the flow chart, it seems that many, many things need to be removed and taken apart just to get at the idler assembly,
and that includes removing sections/parts from both top and bottom.

if thats the case at least that gives me a perspective on the task at hand, besides being very humbling experience about the complexities of electronic repair.

jts1957
Veteran

Jul 15, 2010, 6:35 PM

Post #8 of 9 (4097 views)
Shortcut

I picked the one that seemed closest vintage-wise. Emphasis on close - use as guide - NOT bible. Not sure if they have complete series. If you register with them you can download 30/wk.

Almost any VCR you'll have to remove the top & bottom covers and cassette loading mechanism just to get access to the major assemblies.

Don't forget, some of the assemblies and parts must be reassembled paying attention to "timing."

Barry777
User

Jul 17, 2010, 3:02 AM

Post #9 of 9 (4088 views)
Shortcut

Sorry to butt in, but let's make sure we need to get that complicated about it. The reason I say this is because idler assemblies have traditionally not required overly extensive disassembly to repair/replace, certainly nothing that should run the risk of throwing the gearing or timing off. I'm less familiar with your machine than jts appears to be, but I do know a lot of shortcuts and - perhaps more importantly - when not to get too crazy without closer analysis of the problem.

If I may ask a few questions and get specific answers, I may be able to simplify things a bit:

1. Is the actual driving wheel on the idler a rubber tire, or plastic gear?

2. Does it look like something that is already turning should be driving the idler, either directly or indirectly - such as a belt from the drum or capstan motor? Or, is nothing turning at all? You should be able to visually follow the transfer of motion. For instance - if nothing at all is turning, you're looking at a different problem and it's not the idler. The video head drum should be spinning also.

3. If the pulley on the bottom of the idler IS turning but it's not driving the takeup reel, is there a lever or latch that looks like it should alter the idler's VERTICAL position that's not catching properly?

4. Does the machine fast forward and rewind properly?

5. Does it such the tape back into cartridge before ejecting?

If you don't have a dummy tape, now's the time to make one. This will allow you to watch and even touch the idler in all modes, without the tape cartridge blocking your view of the action. A poor man's dummy tape is simply a VHS cartridge with all the tape and reels removed, and all the plastic cut out except a rectangular frame that is needed to make the machine think you're inserting a tape. You'll have to bkock the infrared LED in the center of the unit, which you can do with a small tab of electrical tape. Then the machine should go into all its functions, and you'll be able to really see what's happening or not happening. www.studiosoundelectronics.com has clear plastic dummy tapes which are much easier to use, if you don't feel like making one. Another nice thing about a dummy tape is that you can let it play and play while you press here and prod there, without continuing to spill tape all over the place.

Sorry again about butting in; I just felt that conclusions were being jumped to, without enough information to be sure such extensive disassembly was necessary. Being able to see the problem from above, you might find something really easy and simple causing the trouble and not have to tear so deeply into the machine to fix it - possibly even the tape cartridge setting too low in the basket, and interfering with the idler's ability to pivot from left to right properly. Just for fun, try pressing on the cartridge and pulling it upwards while it's trying to play - if it starts working, you just saved yourself hours of frustration fixing the wrong thing!

I would never even consider replacing any parts without first using a dummy tape and getting a good look at things from above. Both jts and I have helped other guys fix their VCR's in here, and we've both been wrong and we've both been right at different times, working from the few tidbits of information provided.
Barry Fone - VCR Repair hobbyist and professional FAA Repair Station Avionics Bench Technician (top level). TEST EQUIPMENT: (4) Sencore VC93 VCR Analyzers, (11) Tentel gauges, Sencore VA48 and (2) VA62 Video Analyzers, Sigma Electronics TSG-375 NTSC/SMPTE Video Generator, several VCR Alignment Tapes, plus countless Oscilloscopes, Frequency Counters, Wow and Flutter Meters, Distortion Analyzers, Vectorscope, 136-channel Logic Analyzer, Signature Analyzer . . . . VIDEO GEAR: (6) JVC BR-S822U's, (3) JVC BR-7000 series, (3) JVC BR-S500U, (2) JVC BR-S800U, JVC GR-800U and (2) GR-860U Editing Controllers, Sony FXE-100 Video Switcher/Effects Generator, (5) Time Code Generator/Readers, (1) Sony SLO-1800 (Beta), (2) Alesis ADAT-XT, (1) Sony DXC-1200 TV Camera, Pioneer VP-1000 Laser Disc Player plus many consumer grade Beta and VHS VCR's. Passionate electronics enthusiast since 1973...most anything except computers. Check out my collection at www.barrys8trackrepair.com/MyVideoGear.html

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)