Toshiba 42H82 Convergence Problems

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

sreered
New User

Oct 7, 2005, 2:36 AM

Post #26 of 69 (16536 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Guinry] Toshiba 42H82 Convergence Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

Guinry, the TV repair guy said he couldn't fix the signal board without looking at the TV. He said he will have to check the voltages when the TV is actually running, before he can fix anything. The bottomline is he wants to charge $475 to fix the converegence problem. I called couple other TV service centers and they all say the same. They won't touch the TV if you already went in service mode, leave alone change the STK chips yourself. They all want to make $450 to $500 on a convergence problem but the moment you said you changed the STK chips yourself, many of them don't want your business. Let them GTH. I found a much better place for repairs :).

As suggested by krankshaft, I posted my problem on allexperts.com. Allan Wainwright was very helpful. He felt that there is 90% chance there are some open resistors on the signal board and 10% chance that the problem is in digital convergence board (which is plugged right oppsite the STK chips). He suggested that I get the board reparied by ptscorp.com (PTS Electronics) if I couldn't do it myself.

To those who want to repair their main boards - try ptscorp.com. They are probably the biggest repair shop with over 650 technicians. You simply ship your board to them. They will either rebuild your board to make it work or send you a replacement board from their inventory for a reasonable price. They seem to have huge inventory. I called them and got a quote for about $170+ to repair my board. I know I could get a new board for about $250 but that's a much bigger hassle. You have to desolder many modules from your existing board and then solder them back. Repairing is definitely a better choice IMO.

Regards,
sreered

Guinry
New User

Oct 7, 2005, 3:49 AM

Post #27 of 69 (16526 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sreered] Toshiba 42H82 Convergence Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

Sreered,
Thank you very much for the info and links. I'm a little nervous to check voltages with the tv running, and I wouldn't know what the specs are anyway, so I think I will check all the board resistors first and see if maybe I get lucky. Also, I haven't checked anything on the digital convergence board next to the ic's so I will give that a look too. It's good to know that I can have my board repaired at ptscorp.com instead of buying a replacement. If I don't find anything bad myself I will send it to them and have the professionals fix it. Definately a better option than paying $500 for a tv repair shop to fix it. Thanks again for your help!

krankshaft
New User

Oct 9, 2005, 5:46 PM

Post #28 of 69 (16498 views)
Shortcut

The new or repaired signal board will 100% fix your problem I tried to repair another one of my Toshibas convergence ICs too to no avail. All resistors checked out good I'm thinking its an IC that causes this which one I don't know.

When you get your repaired board back you may need to reconverge the set in service mode not the crappy user mode with the crosshairs.

(This post was edited by krankshaft on Oct 9, 2005, 5:48 PM)

Guinry
New User

Oct 10, 2005, 3:27 AM

Post #29 of 69 (16490 views)
Shortcut
Re: [krankshaft] Toshiba 42H82 Convergence Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't had any luck finding any bad resistors/caps on my board, so my options seem to be to send it out for repair, or order a new one. I checked partstore, and if I'm looking at the right board for my 50H82 (PCB ASM SIGNAL CON pn#23787456X ) it's not much more $$ than sending my old one out to be repaired. I'll give a new board a try, and hopefully that will fix my problem. I'm a little confused as to why the signal/con board for the 50H82 is more than $100 cheaper than for the 42H82. Is it possible I need to order some additional components separately?

Larry E
User

Oct 10, 2005, 10:19 PM

Post #30 of 69 (16477 views)
Shortcut

You people need to be checking the low Ohm resistors NOT caps

in this circuitry, without a schematic your basically pissing into a fan

and trying not to get wet, If you can read a schematic, buy one,

in other words call a tech or get the service

manual, also, are you getting "original stk`s or el cheapo generics from

this audio lab place? Do you know? Are you paying $8-12ea. for them?

If you are there junk and your wasting your time, Larry E

sreered
New User

Oct 11, 2005, 3:07 AM

Post #31 of 69 (16471 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Larry E] Toshiba 42H82 Convergence Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

Gunry, if you order a new conv board you won't need additional parts but you need to desolder some modules from the old board and solder them back on the new one. I thought sending it for repair was safer but either way is fine I guess.

LarryE, the STK chips I ordered from audiolabga are made by Sanyo, one of the few reputed companies making STK chips http://www.audiolabga.com/pdf/STK392-110.pdf . Paying $8 is no reason to call them generic. Do you know how much an "original" Sanyo STK costs?.

KKCT
New User

Oct 11, 2005, 7:24 PM

Post #32 of 69 (16461 views)
Shortcut

Guys,

I would also like to ship my board for repair..But I am still stuck with removing my board. Can anyone please advise & help me?? Mine is a 53" Panasonic Projection TV.

Thanks,

KKCT.

Larry E
User

Oct 11, 2005, 11:59 PM

Post #33 of 69 (16454 views)
Shortcut

All "original" STK`s are made by Sanyo, the problem is there are

all kinds of Chinese knockoffs, and ALL of the major manufacturers

charge a premium price for the original Sanyos they purchase and

then re-package in their bags, your problems are

(1) you have no idea where your problem lies so your shotgunning parts which will get to be very expensive, and may never solve your problem.

(2) if your buying "original sanyos" for $8 your getting taken !

(3) by the time you get the set fixed it would have been cheaper & way faster to have called a reputable tech that would have fixed it in one or two days, I don`t know what you all do for a living but it`s obviously not repairing tv`s when my fridge breaks I call the appliance tech, for something as serious as major convergence failure you should be calling a tv tech, I`ll continue to give minor repair help on this site from time to time but your just wasting your time & money, Larry E

krankshaft
New User

Oct 12, 2005, 4:30 AM

Post #34 of 69 (16451 views)
Shortcut

If the fridge is a mystery to you then you've got real problems Tongue.

Just because you've got limited repair abilities doesn't mean you have to snap at everyone here.

If you are confident in your electronic troubleshooting abilities then there is no job you can't handle in a TV.

I completely agree on the ICs the real ones run about $35+ if your paying $7 your blowing your money.

(This post was edited by krankshaft on Oct 12, 2005, 4:47 AM)

Larry E
User

Oct 13, 2005, 12:12 AM

Post #35 of 69 (16432 views)
Shortcut
Re: [krankshaft] Toshiba 42H82 Convergence Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn`t trying to start a pissing match with anyone, you asked questions I gave you info that you should have listened to, look at the post dates and read the posts, nobody is getting anywhere, your spending all kinds of money and nobody has a fixed unit except you and did you repair your set by changing IC`s??? NO, you replaced a $360 module, at least you got your set fixed and I give you credit for having enough common sense to replace a module without screwing up your set, most people plug a wrong connector in somewhere and do even more damage and then they call us techs and cry because it`s 3-4 hundred dollars, If the repair is over your head admit it and call someone that knows what there doing, good luck to all of you it sounds like your going to need it, Larry E

sreered
New User

Oct 13, 2005, 4:26 AM

Post #36 of 69 (16429 views)
Shortcut

Larry, I guess you are a TV technician. Anybody who knows how to use a screwdriver and how to solder can change STK chips. Charging $500 for a convergence problem is atrocious, especially when you know changing STK chips fixes the problem in most cases. What makes you think people have not had success doing this?. I have checked many forums where people had success stories after changing STK chips. More than the money itself it's the satisfaction of doing it yourself and above all one should be interested and talented in doing this. Fixing fridge etc. is again one's own interest and you shoudn't question them. If the problem is basic there is nothing wrong if one attempts to do it himself if he can get the right info. That's what Net is for. Obviously people should know where to draw a line and when to involve a technician. If changing STK chips doesn't solve the problem then ordering a new signal board or getting it repaired through ptscorp.com is a much better choice than paying $500 for a TV service man to take your TV to his shop for weeks. Anyway, I was just giving my opinion since you seem to have generalized the whole issue. Let us keep to the original issue.

sreered
New User

Oct 13, 2005, 5:24 AM

Post #37 of 69 (16427 views)
Shortcut

One more thing.. New RPTV's have come to $1000 level these days and paying $500 to a technician to fix a convergence problem is a waste of money. I would rather buy a simlar used TV for $550 or $600 on eBay or Craigslist and then sell usable parts from the old TV. That will at least help someone who desperately needs the parts at a low price.

probuilt
User

Oct 13, 2005, 5:43 AM

Post #38 of 69 (16425 views)
Shortcut

WinkThank you sreered, I appreciate your intentions with the recycling old parts. I currently will be posting a few myself once I test them to make sure they are useful. However, I think that Larry E came across wrong in his post, maybe his post was a little abrasive but I think he meant well. I install garage doors for a living and I can't tell you how many times I go to a customers house for a simple adjustment or to move a broom out of the way of their eye-beams and have to charge them the full service call amount. Companies have overhead and technicians spend time and money driving to locations. When people dispute the cost of the labor they forget to figure that in the equation some times. I realize you make a good point with the new RPTV's price. But that doesn't mean there isn't high costs involved in repairs.Cool

My girlfriend just spent $400 to fix her computer that had been taken over by virus'. No parts at all just labor and software to fix. I personally would not have done that but she likes her computer and wants it to run for a few more years. Same concept here. Ps. she hired a professional to come to the house to fix it.Sly

Shocked
Aslo, you might be interested in earnig a new tv for free
Copy and paste this on your browser to get a Flat Screen for free
http://flatscreens.freepay.com/?r=23486733
Just ask "Mel" he did it too. Learn from the Pro's

KKCT
New User

Oct 15, 2005, 4:00 PM

Post #39 of 69 (16384 views)
Shortcut

Sreered or anyone,

Can anyone please show me a picture of how the white connectors look when they are disconnected from the signal/power board. That could be helpful for me to remove my white connectors which r attached from signal board to the power board !!

Thanks,

KKCT.

krankshaft
New User

Oct 18, 2005, 5:52 AM

Post #40 of 69 (16355 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KKCT] Toshiba 42H82 Convergence Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

They are basically spring loaded when you pry up the connector with a screwdriver from the protrusion on the power board they simply spring upward.

Just make sure you pry up by hand and don't try to leverage the screwdriver on anything. Discharging components on the power deflection board with a screwdriver isn't the best way to do things.

While some boards have bleeder resistors to drain the current while the TV in unplugged a few days don't depend on them to work.

KKCT
New User

Oct 19, 2005, 11:27 PM

Post #41 of 69 (16345 views)
Shortcut

All,

Thanks for all your help. I finally removed the white connectors from the signal board of my Panasonic TV today. Best way to remove this is insert a screwdriver under the bridge & pull it up & it comes out. I am going to solder the new ICs & see if my problem is fixed now. Wish me all the best....fingers crossed Frown

Thanks,

KKCT.

KKCT
New User

Oct 20, 2005, 9:34 PM

Post #42 of 69 (16289 views)
Shortcut

Hi All,

I soldered the new STK ICs & then connected all the components & switched on the TV & YO....All works gr8 nowCool..infact the clarity is much better than before. Thanks for all ur help !!

Here are some tips for convergence issues for people who need :

1) Buy the STK ICs from www.audiolabga.com which are of better quality. I bought from www.electronix.com initially but those didnt work well.

2) Remove the convergence board & replace both the ICs & remember to solder it carefully(shudn't sort). Also add some heat transfer paste.

3) Once you connect everything back & switch on the TV, u need to adjust the convergence settings using the remote. Sometimes switch off the TV & switch on after half an hour & all should look good.

Need any more help, please lemme know !!

Regards,

KKCT.

sreered
New User

Oct 21, 2005, 2:56 AM

Post #43 of 69 (16285 views)
Shortcut

KKCT, congrats on finally fixing the convergence problem. You took way too long in getting those power connectors off but otherwise you did great Smile. Unfortunately my problem is not limited to STK chips. I sent my signal board over to ptscorp and I am expecting to get it back in another 2 or 3 days. Cheers!

sreered
New User

Oct 28, 2005, 3:05 AM

Post #44 of 69 (16197 views)
Shortcut

I am all set Smile. I received the repaired signal board back from ptscorp and everything works beautifully now. I paid $171 for the repair and it's definitely worth it since it comes with 6 months warranty. The module went through full quality testing so I am happy. Thanks krankshaft for your help with everything.

As expected, I had to do 56 pt convergence in service mode. If you are attempting the same, make sure you turn off red and blue and align green first. Align green grid geometry horizontally and vertically using a string and then don't disturb the green during the next two cycles with blue and red.

Cheers!
Sreered

(This post was edited by sreered on Oct 28, 2005, 3:08 AM)

dbc155
New User

Nov 29, 2005, 3:11 PM

Post #45 of 69 (15989 views)
Shortcut

I too am having trouble with my Toshiba 50H81. I like the idea of using ptscorp for rebuilding the board, I just want to make sure I get the right board. I read somewhere that there is a plug by the convergence ic's that can be unplugged and it will allow the TV to come back on. I don't know which plug it is. The boards in my TV are just like the ones in the picture in the early post of this thread. What I read was that the TV would power up but the convergence would be a mess but it would allow you to pin point the problem. Has anyone tried this or know what wires to unplug?

David

jlove0413
New User

Dec 2, 2005, 10:32 PM

Post #46 of 69 (15953 views)
Shortcut

I am currently attempting to replace the convergence IC's, but if that doesn't work, I would like to send the board to ptscorp. Did you have to remove all of the vertically attached boards before you sent it?

sreered
New User

Dec 15, 2005, 5:19 AM

Post #47 of 69 (15814 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jlove0413] Toshiba 42H82 Convergence Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

No, actually I did not remove all those modules but they came back intact (but separated). I just had to plug them back in. You never know if the problem is in one of those modules so it is better to send the whole signal board with those modules .. of course not with the audio board. Hope that helps.

jlove0413
New User

Dec 15, 2005, 3:22 PM

Post #48 of 69 (15808 views)
Shortcut

Thanks, but I already sent my board in this week and removed any boards not soldered in. I'll hope for the best when I get it back. I've already been looking at new TV's just in case. I have a hard time dropping $400 - $500 on a 4 year old TV, but if PTS can fix it for around $200, then I will be happy. I tired of looking at the TV pushed to the side of the family room and wonder how I survived with the 25" Sylvania that currently sits in its place. Of course the Sylvania still works great and is 13 - 14 years old.

jlove0413
New User

Dec 31, 2005, 2:41 PM

Post #49 of 69 (15643 views)
Shortcut

I finally got my board back from PTS. My problems are better, but not completely resolved. I no longer have a blue convergence problem, but green is so out of wack that I can't seem to bring it back into alignment. How far off was your convergence when you put your board back in? I will be giving PTS a calll next week to ask for their assistance, so I don't want to mess with convergence too much before I get them on the phone, but I thought I would get your input. My green has very severe bowing on the lower left and some bowing on the upper right. Thanks

sreered
New User

Jan 9, 2006, 5:56 AM

Post #50 of 69 (15541 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jlove0413] Toshiba 42H82 Convergence Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

All RGB were way off when I got the board back, as I was told, but it was very easy to get them aligned once I got the green right. Make sure you have turned off red and blue and get green grids straight using a string as level.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.19 s on (CGI/1.1)