Toshiba 42H82 Convergence Problems

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

srose
New User

Jan 11, 2006, 7:45 PM

Post #51 of 69 (18038 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sreered] Toshiba 42H82 Convergence Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

I had a convergence problem on my Toshiba 43H70. I changed out the STK392-110 ICs and now my TV works fine. I believe, as others have mentioned in other forums/posts, that these ICs should have some kind of fan on them as well as the heat-sinks. I'm hoping there is a tech out there that can tell us where to locate a 12v DC source on the power or convergence boards to connect a couple of CPU fans to try and cool these chips down.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Scott

jlove0413
New User

Jan 17, 2006, 9:30 PM

Post #52 of 69 (17960 views)
Shortcut

I received my board back on Friday. This time around all colors were adjustable. The TV looks great. Thanks for all your help.

sreered
New User

Jan 28, 2006, 5:16 PM

Post #53 of 69 (17884 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jlove0413] Toshiba 42H82 Convergence Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad it worked out for you Smile.

asyed
New User

Mar 25, 2006, 1:30 AM

Post #54 of 69 (17504 views)
Shortcut

I haveToshiba 43H70 and replaced the STK power IC and need to enter in Service mode please help me out

In Reply To
Guinry, the TV repair guy said he couldn't fix the signal board without looking at the TV. He said he will have to check the voltages when the TV is actually running, before he can fix anything. The bottomline is he wants to charge $475 to fix the converegence problem. I called couple other TV service centers and they all say the same. They won't touch the TV if you already went in service mode, leave alone change the STK chips yourself. They all want to make $450 to $500 on a convergence problem but the moment you said you changed the STK chips yourself, many of them don't want your business. Let them GTH. I found a much better place for repairs :).

As suggested by krankshaft, I posted my problem on allexperts.com. Allan Wainwright was very helpful. He felt that there is 90% chance there are some open resistors on the signal board and 10% chance that the problem is in digital convergence board (which is plugged right oppsite the STK chips). He suggested that I get the board reparied by ptscorp.com (PTS Electronics) if I couldn't do it myself.

To those who want to repair their main boards - try ptscorp.com. They are probably the biggest repair shop with over 650 technicians. You simply ship your board to them. They will either rebuild your board to make it work or send you a replacement board from their inventory for a reasonable price. They seem to have huge inventory. I called them and got a quote for about $170+ to repair my board. I know I could get a new board for about $250 but that's a much bigger hassle. You have to desolder many modules from your existing board and then solder them back. Repairing is definitely a better choice IMO.

Regards,
sreered

asyed
New User

Mar 25, 2006, 1:34 AM

Post #55 of 69 (17506 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mikemaiertv] Toshiba 42H82 Convergence Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Just replacing the two convergance Ic's will in most cases repair the set. Only in about 2% of the time do we find bad caps in the curcuit, so for a first timer just change the Ic's, And they will be monted on the signal board and they will be the only two with the STK392-110 printed on them

marktemp
New User

Apr 11, 2006, 12:32 AM

Post #56 of 69 (17384 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
All RGB were way off when I got the board back, as I was told, but it was very easy to get them aligned once I got the green right. Make sure you have turned off red and blue and get green grids straight using a string as level.

Hi. Going down the same track as you. Were you able to get the PTS board to work? Also, there are 5 or 6 wires that are attached to my display board. Most look quite delicate, and some especially do not look like they are meant to be removed. Is it normal to disconnect these wires?

Thanks! Mark

(This post was edited by marktemp on Apr 11, 2006, 12:34 AM)

Bokito
New User

May 1, 2006, 5:42 AM

Post #57 of 69 (17298 views)
Shortcut
Re: [asyed] Toshiba 42H82 Convergence Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Hey guys
I have Toshiba 42H8 that started to experience convergence problem or at least I believe that’s the issue.

Anyway, TV usually takes approximately 30min to settle down from cold power up before I can watch TV.
Anything before that and picture is too misaligned vertically.
When I start touch focus, all horizontal colours look good, all vertical are super bouncy.

Problem started to occur gradually and was most noticeable on non 1080i channels. Fast forward that few months and now I’m forced to watch all my digital channel in 1080i. I can’t even watch my DVD’s since it’s not 1080i.

I’ve replaced STK392-110 IC’s but still no go. Picture looks the same. Frown
What should I try next?

Thanks in advance.

Bokito
New User

May 8, 2006, 5:18 AM

Post #58 of 69 (17256 views)
Shortcut
Toshiba 42H82 Convergence Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

Bump
Common,somebody most know the answer.
Wink

techchris
Veteran

May 8, 2006, 2:52 PM

Post #59 of 69 (17246 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bokito] Toshiba 42H82 Convergence Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

when you say misaligned do you mean convergence errors?. post a picture of the fault if possible

Bokito
New User

May 11, 2006, 5:54 AM

Post #60 of 69 (17231 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] Toshiba 42H82 Convergence Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
when you say misaligned do you mean convergence errors?. post a picture of the fault if possible

2 seconds avi
http://s5.photobucket.com/...current=846b6901.flv
thanks in advance

techchris
Veteran

May 11, 2006, 4:02 PM

Post #61 of 69 (17225 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bokito] Toshiba 42H82 Convergence Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

this is not convergence. it looks like power supply or horizontal osc. fault as the verticals are ragged. if the fault clears after 30 minutes i would look for electrolytic capacitors open circuit or low value.sometimes the top of the cap domes upwards so you can see suspect ones if you look carefully or maybe has slight electrolite leakage around pin connections.otherwise i guess your best bet is a local toshiba expert

mpike
New User

Sep 10, 2006, 2:01 AM

Post #62 of 69 (16276 views)
Shortcut
Re: [krankshaft] Toshiba 42H82 Convergence Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

I had same convergence problem as others with red on 4 yr old Toshiba 42H82 - sounds like design problem to me. Anyway changed the STK chips and problem fixed. Had to go into service mode to adjust convergence but looks good now.
Went to Toshiba website and linked to parts supplier with OEM chips (Tritronics). They had some cheaper chips but went with Sanyo who is original manufacturer of chips. Ordered on Tuesday and had in hand Friday. Cost less than $50 for chips delivered and $10 at Radio Shack for some supplies and problem solved.

Had to search web for a while to figure out how to get to service mode so here it is:
To get into Service mode:

1. Turn your TV on.
2. Press MUTE on your remote and release two times ("Mute" on-screen)
3. Press down MUTE on your remote again and hold. While holding, press the MENU button on your TV set's front panel.
4. Release both buttons.
5. An "S" should appear on your screen. Press MENU again on your TV.
To get into convergence mode:

Get into Service mode, then
Hit '7' to bring up the convergence grid.
Buttons 100, 0, and ENT control which gun you want to turn off (if you want to align the red to the green without seeing the blue gun and other variations).
2=up, 8=down, 4=left, 6=right, 3=change gun to converge, 5=converge that point.
To exit convergence mode you press 7 once and your screen should look like it's imploding then return to normal and then you press 7 to get back into regular service mode.

Careful in this mode I'm sure there is alot to srew up if you aren't careful.

Thanks for all who posted!!!

eCart
New User

Sep 30, 2006, 6:31 AM

Post #63 of 69 (16077 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mpike] Toshiba 42H82 Convergence Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

I also had the same convergence problem with my Toshiba 42H81. Bought it in early 2002, enjoyed watching it until a few months ago when the problem arised. Bought 2 STKs' from Tritrinics (ordered Sat. and arrived Friday!), $46.95 incl. shipping and handling and ~$20 soldering supplies from Radio Shack. Spend half a day taking the circuit board out, 2 hour soldering out + putting in the chips and 1 hour putting the circuit board back. Problem fixed! I don't even have to go into service menu. Just used touch-focus + 9-pt manual convergence and I got perfect alignment!
Really appreciate all the advice and helps from the people that posted in this thread.

phuebler
New User

Oct 14, 2006, 5:18 AM

Post #64 of 69 (15905 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Guinry] Toshiba 42H82 Convergence Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a 61H70 and the convergance went out. I have never repair any major piece of electronic equipment before, but based on the discussion here, I disassembled my TV. I tried to get a new board from PTSCORP but they would not respond to any of my inquires and local TV repair shops were very critical that I would go into my TV by myself. After a couple of weeks of waiting I took the next step:
I order 2 STK392-110 for Audiolabs and did the replacement myself, after buying some tools and solder from Radio Shack. For under $50 I was done. Turned on the TV and some additional research as to how to set up the covergance in the service mode, a few hours of tuning and my TV has never looked better.
I would like to thank all that have contributed to this discussion for their help.

(This post was edited by phuebler on Oct 14, 2006, 5:23 AM)

th50ph9uk
New User

Nov 30, 2006, 9:14 AM

Post #65 of 69 (15280 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mpike] Toshiba 42H82 Convergence Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

I just fixed my Toshiba 42H82 TV that had a blue convergence problem by replacing both the STKs and one of the fusible resistor (I believe it's 1 ohm 1 watt). I'm not sure if replacing only the resistor could have fix it because I replaced the STK's first (which did not fix the TV to my disappointment) before noticing the small burnt hole on one of the resistors. I was also able to pull the circuit boards and turn them upside down by unscrewing the input board's plastic cover, disconnecting the input board from the main board and removing the black plastic support for the input board to access the STK's. I had to remove some of the twist cable ties, the three red,blue,green connectors in front and two connectors on the input board to be able to pull the main boards out and turn it upside down.
Anyways, thanks to all posters and to mpike with the service mode steps. I can't help myself now not to go into service mode and check and align the convergence each time I think I see texts with red, blue or green shadow Smile

Richey
New User

Jul 15, 2007, 7:16 PM

Post #66 of 69 (13436 views)
Shortcut
Toshiba 42H81 Convergence Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

I too am having difficulties with my 2001 Toshiba 42H81.

Last week the convergence went out while we were watching TV.
I tried the Touch Focus which ended in an "Error" The vertical lines were straight,
But the Green's horizontals were bowed at both the top and bottom. The Blue's
lower horizontal also had an odd wave toward the left.

I read this forum, ordered new STKs and with the help of my brother we
just replaced them. He tested the four fuses and they all tested fine.
Nothing else looked burned up or bad.

We put the TV back together and it's looks the same. Unsure

Touch focus still Errors out. Tried to move the Green in Service mode and it
wont budge. The green grid bows in at both top and bottom. The Blue grid's
lower left 2 'quadrants' are warped and flickering.

Can anyone give us any suggestions of what to look for or try next?

Thanks,
Richey

Gadzie
New User

Sep 5, 2009, 3:44 PM

Post #67 of 69 (9542 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richey] Toshiba 42H81 Convergence Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

I just want to thank everyone that contributed to this thread. I believe this info will be very helpful in getting my 50H81 that I picked up on the side of the road fixed..

G

fleetmack
New User

Aug 10, 2010, 10:51 PM

Post #68 of 69 (8282 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gadzie] Toshiba 42H81 Convergence Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for all who replied, this helped me greatly. I replaced the IC chips on my signal board of my 42H82 Toshiba due to the same failure described by many here. After soldering it (had it inspected by a master solderer (seriously, that is his job title)) and he said it looks perfect.... plugged everything back in and when I turn my TV on, I get the red light but no screen... no sound either. Can't even get a blank screen to get the Menu display to pop up onto. Any ideas?

jts1957
Veteran

Aug 11, 2010, 12:56 AM

Post #69 of 69 (8280 views)
Shortcut
Re: [fleetmack] Toshiba 42H81 Convergence Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

Call in a "Master Technician?"

-------------------------

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.19 s on (CGI/1.1)