Philips 55P8341A Convergence Problems

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

dohclude
New User

Feb 2, 2010, 11:53 PM

Post #26 of 30 (940 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron.M] Philips 55P8341A Convergence Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay then I will go ahead and try it. One question I forgot to ask before, can I just remove the blue module and move the green module over without moving the red module to the green one? I figured that I've already seen video in the red and green crt's so I'm really only trying to check the blue one so it would make things a lot easier that way.

btw, my camera is an old nikon coolpix E5600. I bought it broken on ebay a few years ago for $15 and repaired it. It's been a nice little camera for me.

Ron.M
Veteran

Feb 3, 2010, 1:51 AM

Post #27 of 30 (937 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dohclude] Philips 55P8341A Convergence Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

dohclude;....

can I just remove the blue module and move the green module over without moving the red module to the green one? I figured that I've already seen video in the red and green crt's so I'm really only trying to check the blue one so it would make things a lot easier that way.

Yeah , you can....But if you still don't see anything in the blue CRT , I would like to know what you see in the green CRT at the same time....
IF you see video in the blue CRT , please ignore what is below....& post a pix if you do , please..

If you have only the blue CRT hooked up & something isn't right (wire or connector off or ???) & we can't tell if you are getting a pix on the green CRT since it's disconnected , how are we going to know positively that the blue CRT is good or bad ???
If you have both the green & blue hooked up , then there's 2 scenarios:
#1...No video on the blue CRT , but video is OK on the green CRT means the blue CRT is bad....
#2...Video on both green & blue is OK , that means the blue CRT module or a part on it is bad....

Good Luck...

Later...Ron.M.....Cool....
Veteran & Retired TV technician

(This post was edited by Ron.M on Feb 3, 2010, 1:53 AM)

dohclude
New User

Feb 3, 2010, 9:39 PM

Post #28 of 30 (924 views)
Shortcut

Well, I tested it out today. I removed all of the crt modules, moved the red module to the green crt, the green module to the blue crt, and the blue module out of the way. I checked and made sure all of the wires and connectors were still connected. neither the green or the blue crt would come on. I tried turning the tv off and turning it on again... as I pressed the power button to turn it off the picture came in for about 2 seconds before the tv turned off. I found out that I had to turn it on and then turn it off to get any kind of picture, so I had my wife operate the power button while I looked into the green and blue lenses. The green lens displayed a picture and the blue lens looked exactly as it did before, just a blue haze/frost with no picture or movement at all.

I am assuming that the blue crt it bad now, and that's probably going to cost over $200 to replace. That along with the $50 or so it would cost to replace the convergence IC's and the coolant will end up costing me more that it would to just find a working tv on craigslist. In fact I found a new one for my dad a couple of days ago, a newer 57" Sony HD projection screen for $200. So I guess I will just roll this thing to the nearest cliff and push it over the edge.

This is the second TV I was given that was not worth it to repair, maybe I'll have better luck next time. Thanks for all your help though, I did learn a few things that will be good to know in the future.

Ron.M
Veteran

Feb 3, 2010, 11:19 PM

Post #29 of 30 (921 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dohclude] Philips 55P8341A Convergence Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

dohclude;.....

SORRY about that.....

Good luck with your "new" 57" Sony HD.....

Better luck next time.....

Best regards & You are Welcome !!!

Later...Ron.M....Cool.....
Veteran & Retired TV technician

Gus67
User

Feb 3, 2010, 11:59 PM

Post #30 of 30 (917 views)
Shortcut

that was nice and friendly...

almost seemed like it was staged...but I could be wrongWink

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.24 s on (CGI/1.1)