Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Samsung HLS6187W DLP/Weird Problem/ Part 2

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

74f100
Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2012, 10:19 PM

Post #51 of 82 (3537 views)
Shortcut
Re: [satman858] Samsung HLS6187W DLP/Weird Problem/ Part 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

There are only two wires.
HDMI not working

satman858
User

Aug 4, 2012, 3:37 PM

Post #52 of 82 (3527 views)
Shortcut
Re: [74f100] Samsung HLS6187W DLP/Weird Problem/ Part 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
There are only two wires.

You are right that there are only 2 wires in the line, but on the end of the plug there are 3 holes as you can see in picture 1 below.

With that said, does the 2 pins sticking out the part by the light engine circled in picture 2, plug into the 2 outer holes of the plug ignoring the center hole completely?

74f100
Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2012, 2:26 AM

Post #53 of 82 (3518 views)
Shortcut
Re: [satman858] Samsung HLS6187W DLP/Weird Problem/ Part 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

That plug will only go on in one direction.
HDMI not working

satman858
User

Aug 5, 2012, 5:31 AM

Post #54 of 82 (3517 views)
Shortcut
Re: [74f100] Samsung HLS6187W DLP/Weird Problem/ Part 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

I am guessing that you are saying yes to my question.

Remember I will be trying to clip it on blindly, because that line does not have enough slack in it to enable me to clip it on before installing (my so called) chassis back into the TV.

74f100
Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2012, 4:29 AM

Post #55 of 82 (3510 views)
Shortcut

Look closely at the plug and the socket. There is a clip there.

When connected properly you will hear and feel a click.

Just try it, you'll like it. LOL
HDMI not working

satman858
User

Aug 9, 2012, 4:34 AM

Post #56 of 82 (3493 views)
Shortcut

I will try to find some time this weekend to put this TV back together. Wink

satman858
User

Aug 13, 2012, 4:28 PM

Post #57 of 82 (3471 views)
Shortcut

Jim,

I just put everything back into the TV, and all connections are now hooked back up to the right place. I do have a few questions that need answering before I plug it in and try it out. Remember, I bought a NEW power cord that plugs into the TV from the surge protector, and I bought a new Philips Lamp. I plan to use the new power cord, but may not use the lamp unless I need to use it. Here are my questions numbered. Please answer them by number. Thanks!

Before replacing the DMD board the old lamp stayed lit for about 5 minutes before shutting down. (which I think it may have shut down because of bad DMD board) With the fact that the lamp stayed on for that long, leads me to believe that the Ballast that ignites the Lamp is good, and the fact that the Lamp stayed on for that long leads me to believe that the Lamp was good.
1.) Could I be wrong about the old Lamp still being good?

2.) Would it hurt anything to try powering up the TV with the old Lamp first, or should I just put in the new Lamp which I know for sure is good?

3.) When and if installing a new Lamp if the TV does work and I have a picture, don't I have to reset the Lamp hours to 0 immediately?

4.) After attaching the vent cover for Lamp housing and closing the door panel to the TV, should the door panel push the Blue button circled in the picture below to the UP position or DOWN position?

(This post was edited by satman858 on Aug 13, 2012, 8:37 PM)

Ron.M
Veteran

Aug 13, 2012, 5:44 PM

Post #58 of 82 (3466 views)
Shortcut

satman858;.....

I don't work on these kinds of TVs , but I follow along some threads just to see if I can learn something....Wink....

I (& maybe 74f100) can not see a circled "Blue switch" in the pix !!!!
In the future , when you make circles or lines in pix , please use a color other than black...
I'd suggest red , green or even blue or variations of them...
It makes it easier to spot....THANKS....Smile....

Have a GREAT week.....Sly....

Later...Ron.M...Cool...
Veteran & Retired TV technician

satman858
User

Aug 13, 2012, 6:35 PM

Post #59 of 82 (3463 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron.M] Samsung HLS6187W DLP/Weird Problem/ Part 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
satman858;.....

I don't work on these kinds of TVs , but I follow along some threads just to see if I can learn something....Wink....

I (& maybe 74f100) can not see a circled "Blue switch" in the pix !!!!
In the future , when you make circles or lines in pix , please use a color other than black...
I'd suggest red , green or even blue or variations of them...
It makes it easier to spot....THANKS....Smile....

Have a GREAT week.....Sly....

Later...Ron.M...Cool...

Ron M,

Thanks! I circled it in Red so everyone can see it better. Wink

(This post was edited by satman858 on Aug 13, 2012, 8:58 PM)

Ron.M
Veteran

Aug 14, 2012, 6:09 PM

Post #60 of 82 (3440 views)
Shortcut

satman858;....

Thank you , THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!!!
Much appreciated...
Much easier to find & see....

GOOD LUCK with your TV repair....

Later...Ron.M...Cool....
Veteran & Retired TV technician

satman858
User

Aug 14, 2012, 6:47 PM

Post #61 of 82 (3436 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron.M] Samsung HLS6187W DLP/Weird Problem/ Part 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you Ron M.

I am hoping that Jim (74f100) can find some time out of his busy schedule to answer my last few questions. He has helped me so much, and worked with me for so long in this adventure of mine, that I feel like he is the guy next door. It seems so close to the big day, but yet feels so far away. I don't want any slip-ups this late in the game, so I don't want to do anything more until he can answer my last few questions.

(This post was edited by satman858 on Aug 14, 2012, 6:57 PM)

74f100
Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2012, 2:17 AM

Post #62 of 82 (3427 views)
Shortcut

Ok,,,,I didn't get an email..Sorry I would have responded much sooner.

The switch,,,really doesn't matter. Most "recommendations" from Samsung say up,,,,but it doesn't matter.

Lamp,,,I would keep the new one IF it is the correct replacement (good to have an extra). But that is purely your prerogative. (I'm a tech,,,we always over compensate). <br> <br>Lamp timer, set with new one. If you don't replace it, then don't worry about resetting it. If you do, 10 or 15 hrs difference won't matter. You want to make sure the lamp is lasting at least 1000 hrs (so 10 won't make a difference). The timer is only there for reference anyway, it won't cause the set to malfunction if not reset.

1.) Could I be wrong about the old Lamp still being good? YES

2.) Would it hurt anything to try powering up the TV with the old Lamp first, or should I just put in the new Lamp which I know for sure is good? NO

3.) When and if installing a new Lamp if the TV does work and I have a picture, don't I have to reset the Lamp hours to 0 immediately? NO

4.) After attaching the vent cover for Lamp housing and closing the door panel to the TV, should the door panel push the Blue button circled in the picture below to the UP position or DOWN position? SEE ABOVE

Hope that covers it,,,,,if I don't get back to you within 2 days email me. At the latest I try to check in here every day,,,,but Hotels are swamping us (and I got volunteered for Vacation Bible School).

Jim
HDMI not working

(This post was edited by 74f100 on Aug 15, 2012, 2:21 AM)

74f100
Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2012, 2:24 AM

Post #63 of 82 (3425 views)
Shortcut

BTW,,,I usually test them before putting the back cover on. Simply wrap the blue and white wires around the switch holding it up. And everything should run........JUST DON"T LOOK DIRECTLY AT THE LAMP!!!! And don't ask why I know this
HDMI not working

jts1957
Veteran

Aug 15, 2012, 2:52 AM

Post #64 of 82 (3424 views)
Shortcut

ARR!

-------------------------

satman858
User

Aug 15, 2012, 3:58 AM

Post #65 of 82 (3422 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
BTW,,,I usually test them before putting the back cover on. Simply wrap the blue and white wires around the switch holding it up. And everything should run........JUST DON"T LOOK DIRECTLY AT THE LAMP!!!! And don't ask why I know this

Thanks for the info.

However, it is to late on the looking directly at the lamp, as I have already done that when I first was trying to get the TV working before removing the DMD board. I hope I didn't hurt my eyes, as both eyes has gone through cataract surgery once already.

satman858
User

Aug 15, 2012, 5:27 AM

Post #66 of 82 (3419 views)
Shortcut

I had some real disappointment late tonight, as after I finally powered my TV up, I am having the same issues as before. It seems like either my problem was not the DMD board, or I have other parts beside the DMD that are bad. The new power cord works great as there is no clinking like the other power cord was doing. I get the same results even after trying the new lamp.

The results are when I plug in the TV, the "Lamp" light flashes for a while then goes out, and when I try to power up the TV with the remote the "Timer" light will flash each time I touch any button on the remote, or front panel of the TV. I am not even getting the loud CLICK that sounds when the TV powered up before when a picture use to appear.

Maybe since I got the new lamp at a good price, I can try reselling it on Fleabay, to help recoup some of the money I spent on the DMD board.

Since nobody here seems to know why the "Timer" light flashes when buttons are touch, but nothing functions, I guess I will never have a clue on what part needs changing to correct that problem. Unsure

74f100
Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2012, 10:56 AM

Post #67 of 82 (3413 views)
Shortcut

If the results are the same, then I would suspect the digital. Sometimes switching known good parts is the only way to isolate problems.

The good news, you've completed the most difficult replacement with that set. See if you can send that DMD back and replace it with a digital main.

Good luck,
Jim
HDMI not working

satman858
User

Aug 15, 2012, 7:35 PM

Post #68 of 82 (3411 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
If the results are the same, then I would suspect the digital. Sometimes switching known good parts is the only way to isolate problems.

The good news, you've completed the most difficult replacement with that set. See if you can send that DMD back and replace it with a digital main.

Good luck,
Jim

I can not find a part number for what you are calling a digital main.

Can you please look in one of your service manuals and see what the part number or numbers is listed for a digital main that will work on a SAMSUNG HLS6187WX/XAA HDTV set?

(This post was edited by satman858 on Aug 15, 2012, 7:37 PM)

74f100
Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2012, 9:11 PM

Post #69 of 82 (3406 views)
Shortcut

Yes, and at this point it would probably be best to go through voltage checks.

Do you have a meter that will read DC?

Measuring the voltages between the Power supply, digital, and DMD we tell us for sure what is happening.

Jim
HDMI not working

satman858
User

Aug 15, 2012, 10:20 PM

Post #70 of 82 (3403 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Yes, and at this point it would probably be best to go through voltage checks.

Do you have a meter that will read DC?

Measuring the voltages between the Power supply, digital, and DMD we tell us for sure what is happening.

Jim

What did you answer yes to? Did you find the part number for the digital main?

If this is a digital main in the picture below, and is the one for my TV, they have a brand new one on a Fleabay auction that is ending tomorrow that is at $49.99 currently. It looks just like the one on the back of my TV.

As for as the meter goes. I have this meter in the pic below. However I would not know what setting to put it on, nor do I have any idea as to how are where I would put the 2 prongs to test out any of the components you mention in your post.

74f100
Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2012, 10:52 PM

Post #71 of 82 (3401 views)
Shortcut

The digital should be the very bottom board...It connects to the DVI cable (big white one) that goes to the DMD.

I wouldn't order one yet, you could have a bad DMD still. I have received many bad parts the last few years.

Yes I'll look up the BOM for your set and get the part number there. Samsung manuals are on their service center site,,,not really downloadable.
HDMI not working

satman858
User

Aug 16, 2012, 1:10 AM

Post #72 of 82 (3398 views)
Shortcut

If you look at the picture of the little voltage meter in the post above you wiil see there are settings for the DC voltage of 1000, 200, 20, 200m and 200m.

Which setting in that list of settings should it be used to test the parts in the TV?

74f100
Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2012, 10:58 AM

Post #73 of 82 (3384 views)
Shortcut

The 200 and 20 would cover anything you would test for this problem.

The ballast drive is the only thing above that, it will usually run between 260 and 350 vdc.

For voltages under 20, you use the 20 setting.
HDMI not working

satman858
User

Aug 16, 2012, 4:32 PM

Post #74 of 82 (3381 views)
Shortcut

Could you please tell me where I would to put the 2 prongs on the tester to test the parts you need me to test?

Also, does the lamp need to be inserted to test these parts you want me to test, as it is very bright back there?

P.S. The digital main for this TV is very hard to find, and if that part is bad, and it is the one in my picture, it the only one I can find and that auction for it runs out at 3:00pm cst today. The part number in that auction is BP94-02258C.

(This post was edited by satman858 on Aug 16, 2012, 4:38 PM)

satman858
User

Aug 17, 2012, 1:06 AM

Post #75 of 82 (3367 views)
Shortcut

Jim,
I forgot to answer your question.
Right, the Lamp is still on but still no audio or video on the screen.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.25 s on (CGI/1.1)