Is my TV bad? or is it my antenna?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Astrovel
New User

Jun 30, 2009, 5:27 AM

Post #26 of 57 (1235 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron.M] Is my TV bad? or is it my antenna? [In reply to] Can't Post

BEFORE the storm , did you get ALL the channels in PERFECT??
And are we talking With or Without the booster???
Yes, except channel 8.This was with the present antenna. After the storm is when we lost the signals and it was right about that time that the digital switch took place.But my son says he has trouble getting ch. 8 in sometimes also and he lives about 30 miles southeast of me.

My son called tonight asking if I had checked the Home Depot antenna.While talking with him, he remembered that there was an A/C adaptor that plugged into a little box that came with that antenna which went in between the coax cables. So I checked behind the TV and sure enough there WAS an A/C adaptor there. I unplugged it and immediately lost the picture on the channels that I can get in. I plugged it back in and the picture came back. So apparently, there must be some kind of assist on that antenna ???

The lady at WM said it was only 30 miles to the nearest tower but when I thought about it, that can't be right because it is 35 miles from me to Fort Worth and Cedar Hill is another 15-20 miles from there. So she is wrong about that. Of course that is not as the crow flies but even so....I am pretty sure it is as listed on the Antennaweb site.

So my son is coming over Friday to check it out and go up if necessary or failing that, getting a booster if we need it. I really don't think that is going to be necessary.
Will keep you posted on what happens.
Thanks for your continued support and advice.
Smile

Ron.M
Veteran

Jun 30, 2009, 5:32 PM

Post #27 of 57 (1230 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Astrovel] Is my TV bad? or is it my antenna? [In reply to] Can't Post

Astrovel:....

While talking with him, he remembered that there was an A/C adaptor that plugged into a little box that came with that antenna which went in between the coax cables. So I checked behind the TV and sure enough there WAS an A/C adaptor there. I unplugged it and immediately lost the picture on the channels that I can get in. I plugged it back in and the picture came back. So apparently, there must be some kind of assist on that antenna ???

That IS an antenna amplifier!!!....Look on the part that has the coax connection to the antenna for a number that says "??"db gain , or a brand & model # if its there...Post back with that info...Thanks...

I am pretty sure it is as listed on the Antennaweb site.

Don't believe anyone except Antennaweb....They IMHO ARE accurate...TV signals travel as the crow flies so the lady at WM may be right when she said it was only 30 miles to the nearest tower...

So my son is coming over Friday to check it out and go up if necessary or failing that, getting a booster if we need it. I really don't think that is going to be necessary.

Since you have one NOW , you WILL NEED it whether you use the antenna you presently have OR for the new one....
I do not know how far the stations are in your area from your home according to Antennaweb...But from what you tell me , you would need a humongus antenna (45 + miles worth) with NO amplifier OR a moderately sized antenna with an amplifier...I have a gut feeling that the new DTV signals are weaker than the analog signals were....So an amplifier is a given in your case...

But my son says he has trouble getting ch. 8 in sometimes also and he lives about 30 miles southeast of me.

Does he live further AWAY from the stations , CLOSER to , OR the SAME distance as your home ???

Thanks...Later....Ron.M.....Cool....
Veteran & Retired TV technician

Astrovel
New User

Jun 30, 2009, 8:35 PM

Post #28 of 57 (1225 views)
Shortcut

Hi Ron, I went to Radio Shack today and explained my problem to them. They asked if I had scanned the channels after the switch. I told them I didn't think so. They said that the networks had a band that scrolled across the bottom of the screen telling people to re-scan. I told him I saw that but thought that was for people who had converter boxes. With a digital TV and a digital antenna, I didn't know we were supposed to scan also. They said that after the switch, some channels went to a higher frequency. They also said that our city and surrounding county is in a bowl and that does create a problem with reception.

I came home and re-scanned the channels and I now have a bunch more channels that I didn't even know existed. But I still cannot get channel 11. When I first scanned the channels, I could not get ch. 8 either. But when I turned it on just now, I am now getting ch. 8 but still no ch. 11.(There is a picture, it is just distorted and pixelated.) Can't figure out why all of a sudden I am now getting ch8 when it wouldn't come in after I re-scanned. I'm not complaining, just curious.

Who woulda thunk it?

Anyway, the Radio Shack guy said if after scanning the channels I still can't get the channels then I could get a higher frequency amplifier for about $50 but to try scanning first.

To answer your question: There are no markings, labels etc. to indicate brand or db gain on the amplifier.

And yes, my son does live closer to the direction of the tower and could explain why he gets a better signal than I do.

I thank you very much for your advice and help. I guess my problem is solved except for the sound on the TV. We will see on Friday what they say.
Best regards,

Ron.M
Veteran

Jun 30, 2009, 10:40 PM

Post #29 of 57 (1222 views)
Shortcut

Astrovel;....

GREAT reply !!!

I am now getting ch. 8 but still no ch. 11.(There is a picture, it is just distorted and pixelated.)

Could it be because Ch 11 is 47.2 miles from your home....YES it IS....More later....

To answer your question: There are no markings, labels etc. to indicate brand or db gain on the amplifier.

OK , then I'll have to assume it's NOT a good one....You'll need a better amp for chan 11....More later...

Anyway, the Radio Shack guy said if after scanning the channels I still can't get the channels then I could get a higher frequency amplifier for about $50 but to try scanning first.

You'll NEED an amplifier for chan 11....
BUT NOT a HIGHER frequency....
Chan 11 IS on the VHF band....Commonly called "low band"..
The amp you NEED is a UHF/VHF amplifier....
Make SURE that's what you get OR you WILL lose ALL chans from 2 thru 13....
The higher frequency amp the guy at Radio Shack is reffering to is UHF ONLY....NOT what you need....

Can't figure out why all of a sudden I am now getting ch8 when it wouldn't come in after I re-scanned. I'm not complaining, just curious.

I think you meant Chan 8 wouldn't come in before you re-scanned...
When a TV scans for channels it goes thru a search process & enters ALL the channels it finds into a memory in the microprocessor of the TV...
Those that it doesn't find , needless to say , are ignored...
Because Chan 8 was analog & your TV is digital , it was probably ignored....
When Chan 8 went digital , your TV recognized it as a valid station & entered it into the micro's memory...

And yes, my son does live closer to the direction of the tower and could explain why he gets a better signal than I do.

100% keerect!!!...Laugh...

Let me know what the specs are on that $50.00 Radio Shack amplifier BEFORE you buy it....
I want to know how many DB gain it has & the range of frequencies (ie;..UHF &/or VHF)...
I'll try to help you out there...

Later....Ron.M....Cool....

Astrovel
New User

Jun 30, 2009, 11:28 PM

Post #30 of 57 (1219 views)
Shortcut

I spoke too soon. After ch 8 was on for awhile, it started messing up and then gave up the ghost so to speak.

I called Radio Shack and asked them about that amplifier and they said it is 10 DB with 50-2200 MHZ. They said it amplifies whatever the antenna is pulling in so if you are getting weak signals on both VHF and UHF it will just amplify and make it stronger. So I should be able to get both the VHF and UHF. I may try it, because I can always take it back if it doesn't work any better than the one I have.

Also when I re-scanned the channels I did not get ch 8. included with the other channels. I had to enter it manually.

Thanks for the help.

Ron.M
Veteran

Jun 30, 2009, 11:39 PM

Post #31 of 57 (1218 views)
Shortcut

Astrovel;....

10 DB with 50-2200 MHZ

The frequencies are EXCELLENT!!!.....Not sure 10 db is enough....

BUUUT:==>

$50.00 IS a bit pricey for a 10DB amp.... Check out the one in the link here==>

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/33-8715

This is a 30 db amp for $17.95 + S&H....
Thats 3 times stronger & a LOT cheaper than Radio Shack....
& they have a 90 day return policy...Check it out...
BTW: MCM IS a TRUSTWORTHY company & I HIGHLY reccommend them....

They said it amplifies whatever the antenna is pulling in so if you are getting weak signals on both VHF and UHF it will just amplify and make it stronger.

ALL amplifiers do that!!!!....Question is:..HOW MUCH???...That's where the db's come in...

I may try it, because I can always take it back if it doesn't work any better than the one I have.

See above....

Also when I re-scanned the channels I did not get ch 8. included with the other channels. I had to enter it manually.

Hmmmm!!!....????....Let's wait till you get your antenna fixed before I try to explain that....

(This post was edited by Ron.M on Jun 30, 2009, 11:59 PM)

Astrovel
New User

Jul 1, 2009, 12:39 AM

Post #32 of 57 (1210 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for the link.
But am reading this wrong or what?

Low noise VHF/UHF/FM signal amplifiers. Variable gain control —10dB. Built—in FM trap (-20dB). Specifications: Frequency range: 40~862MHz. Noise figure: <7dB. Power: 120VAC.

Where do you see 30dB? Am I looking at the right one? This frequency is a lot lower...does that make a difference? Granted it is cheaper but if it isn't better than what I have (and I don't know what mine is) ??

My son said if it is too strong it will pull in a bunch of static and noise.
Thanks again!

Ron.M
Veteran

Jul 1, 2009, 4:43 AM

Post #33 of 57 (1207 views)
Shortcut

Astrovel;....

But am reading this wrong or what?
Low noise VHF/UHF/FM signal amplifiers. Variable gain control —10dB.
Built—in FM trap (-20dB). Specifications: Frequency range: 40~862MHz. Noise figure: <7dB. Power: 120VAC.

You ARE reading that CORRECT....

Where do you see 30dB?

IF you click on the lower right corner where the magnifying glass is OR anywhere on the photo , it will enlarge it so you can see it (barely) near the center of the amp....Ain't THAT sneaky???

This frequency is a lot lower...does that make a difference?

Yes, it does.....BUT in your case ALL the broadcast channels ARE within the 40~862MHz range....Have NO fear,young lady, it's the RIGHT one...

Granted it is cheaper but if it isn't better than what I have

ONLY GOD knows what you have...Maybe your son does...Ask him....
Chances are that it IS better...

My son said if it is too strong it will pull in a bunch of static and noise.

NOOooo,NOOoooo,NOOooo!!!....At your location,NEVER in a million years....

Variable gain control —10dB

Do NOT worry about this...You won't be using it...It's for FM interference which you don't have at your location...

Later.....Ron.M....Cool.....

Astrovel
New User

Jul 1, 2009, 5:13 AM

Post #34 of 57 (1203 views)
Shortcut

Well, I'll be darned! Those guys sure don't know how to market their product, do they?
That solves my hesitation. I'm sure you are a heckuva lot more knowledgeable about this stuff than the clerk in the store and my son, who is very smart and does his best but he admits he is no expert. He didn't know that the people who had digital equipment was supposed to re-scan either. He doesn't remember what the specs were on the amplifier, he just remembered that there was one on that antenna when he brought it over here to try. As I said before the brand new antenna I bought before didn't work well here but works fine at his house.

I will order the amplifier and maybe it will be here by Friday if I am lucky.
Thanks again.

Astrovel
New User

Jul 1, 2009, 5:29 AM

Post #35 of 57 (1199 views)
Shortcut

OK got it ordered. Now just hope it gets here by Friday. It probably will because I've always had good service from UPS.
Thanks again.

Ron.M
Veteran

Jul 1, 2009, 4:58 PM

Post #36 of 57 (1195 views)
Shortcut

Astrovel:...

OK...WE "may" have a problem here....(Communication!!)....

He doesn't remember what the specs were on the amplifier, he just remembered that there was one on that antenna when he brought it over here to try.

He said:==>...ON the antenna??? ....Was is a PART of the antenna???...OR was it a seperate unit???....Crazy....

Later....Ron.M....Cool.....

Astrovel
New User

Jul 1, 2009, 5:50 PM

Post #37 of 57 (1192 views)
Shortcut

Ooops! My apology. My terminology was incorrect.
No the amplifier was not attached to the antenna but inside the house between incoming coax and the TV, the amplifier in the middle and plugged into a power strip.

He vaguely remembered there was an electrical assist when he had it at his house. He wasn't sure where he bought it, but thought it was Home Depot. So that is where I started my investigation re: my existing antenna. Perhaps when we get it down so we can physically look at it, it will have a make, model etc.

Ron.M
Veteran

Jul 1, 2009, 6:17 PM

Post #38 of 57 (1191 views)
Shortcut

Astrovel:....

Ooops! My apology. My terminology was incorrect.
No the amplifier was not attached to the antenna but inside the house between incoming coax and the TV, the amplifier in the middle and plugged into a power strip.

OK...PHeeew!!! .....Thats a RELIEF...Sly....Had the amplifier been attached to the antenna itself, the new one you just ordered would have been useless...Unsure...

Perhaps when we get it down so we can physically look at it, it will have a make, model etc.

IF you are reffering to the antenna itself ,not likely , but possible...

Later....Ron.M...Cool.....

shadetree
Veteran

Jul 1, 2009, 11:17 PM

Post #39 of 57 (1184 views)
Shortcut

an antenna amp that goes on the outside antenna is many times better then one that goes inside behind the tv
no comparison

Ron.M
Veteran

Jul 2, 2009, 12:06 AM

Post #40 of 57 (1180 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shadetree] Is my TV bad? or is it my antenna? [In reply to] Can't Post

shadetree:

an antenna amp that goes on the outside antenna is many times better then one that goes inside behind the tv
no comparison

I agree 100%....However in some circumstances it's not a good idea...
For example:
This lady "Astrovel" is a senior citizen who lives on a tightly fixed income with not a lot of disposeable cash....
She lives in the Fort Worth , Texas, area that more than other areas gets an abundance of severe thunderstorms & lightning...
She has an elevated antenna on either a tower or pole supported by guy wires, a lightning magnet....
I can only guess that its well grounded...
She relies on her son to help her out with various projects,including antenna repairs..
IF & I say IF, the antenna takes a hit, the chances that the "Antenna pre-amp" survives are fair to middlen at best....
It is an unneccessary risk for her to take...
Changeing a "back of set" amplifier is a FAR better option for her...
NO need to lower the antenna to change the amp...

Now ,before you go jumping up & down about the amps having "lightning protection", let me say this:...In my YEARS of installing simple & master antenna systems in North East Illinois,"lightning protection" in those amps IS A JOKE!!!...If God want's it gone, it's GONE!!!

So , in this case for this lady , it's the RIGHT way to go....

BTW:..She apparently has enough signal to drive that amp she has now...
When she gets her antenna situation resolved & with a better ampilfier she just ordered,she should see a markedly big improvement in her picture...
The sound problem IS her TV....

I hope this explains it to you.....

Astrovel
New User

Jul 4, 2009, 4:39 PM

Post #41 of 57 (1169 views)
Shortcut

Update on the TV. Techie guy came and didn't even pick up the remote or look behind the set. I explained how the sound gets lower and lower the longer it is on and how the audio has to be all the way up to the max when watching DVD's.

He said "It is more than likely a couple of the circuit boards needs to be replaced. We will order them and then come back and install them."

When I asked him if this was common to this make and model, he said "Well, it isn't an epidemic but I have seen it a couple of times" which in my opinion means there are more than a "couple" if he didn't do any checking on the set. It will be a couple of weeks before they come out and fix it.

But....if they fix it, I won't complain. I will just expect that I will probably have to buy a new TV in the next year. That service call would have cost $363 if I were paying for it myself. You can buy a new TV for that.

The amplifier hasn't come in yet. Am anxious to see if it will help pull in the signal. Thanks very much for all your help and advice and Happy 4th of July!

Ron.M
Veteran

Jul 4, 2009, 5:50 PM

Post #42 of 57 (1167 views)
Shortcut

Astrovel;....

1st;...I BELIEVE you....BUT what BestBuy did is something else...
RE:.."That service call would have cost $363 ""....
Since B.B. has a similar model (DX-L32-10A ) for $379.99 ,youda thunk they would have just given you a "new" set & junked your old one out OR sent it back to China...
No matter...I just hope they fix it right....
The "$363" HAS to include parts....
To charge someone $363 to come "look" at a TV IS outrageous!!!

Techie guy came and didn't even pick up the remote or look behind the set.

In defense of TV tech's everywhere,not just BestBuy, He doesn't have to...
He's just verifying the complaint...
Unless he carries a "TON" of replacement parts with him , there's nothing he can do (in your case) to fix it on a routine service call...
Everything is sealed up inside , excludeing the antenna & your DVD player , of course...
The new boards may take awhile for them to get...Be patient....

The amplifier hasn't come in yet. Am anxious to see if it will help pull in the signal.

Keep us posted with the results....OK....

A Happy & SAFE Independence Day to you & your family also....Sly.....

(This post was edited by Ron.M on Jul 4, 2009, 5:54 PM)

Astrovel
New User

Jul 4, 2009, 7:01 PM

Post #43 of 57 (1162 views)
Shortcut

Hi Ron, I was just going by what the ticket the tech guy left with me and it said "Charge to customer, total service charge" and on another line "Warranty".

I expected that the tech guy would want to look at the TV connections, check the remote etc. to see if it was something simple. (I had that happen before...called the service guy out and somebody had turned the contrast knob all the way over and I had no picture. Had to pay $45 for that lesson)
No complaint against the tech guy. Just surprised is all.

Patience is not one of my strong suits but in this case, a must. Couple of weeks is not too bad. But they ordered a replacement remote for me and after 4 weeks, I got a universal remote in its place. I already had bought a universal one to use until the Dynex one came in. So the tech guy ordered the correct one but I bet they send another universal one.

Ron.M
Veteran

Jul 4, 2009, 7:43 PM

Post #44 of 57 (1098 views)
Shortcut

Astrovel;....

OK....Let me know about the antenna work when your son gets it done & the results with the "amp" when you get it....Thanks....

Later....Ron.M.....Cool......

Astrovel
New User

Jul 6, 2009, 11:05 PM

Post #45 of 57 (1060 views)
Shortcut

Hi Ron,

We didn't get the antenna raised up because there was a medical emergency in the family and they spent almost the whole weekend in the emergency room at the hospital.

But....I received the amplifier booster today, installed it and it has corrected the pixelation on the VHF channels except for channel 8 and 11...can't get either of those even with a pixelated picture but now I am not getting any UHF channels at all. What is the on-off button for? I tried both on and off, no difference. The gain is set a the max.
Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for your help.

Astrovel
New User

Jul 7, 2009, 12:30 AM

Post #46 of 57 (1057 views)
Shortcut

OOOPS! After I posted the last post, I talked with my son and he said I probably should have left the other little amplifier connected and put the new one on behind. Tried that and whoopee! I get all but ch. 8 and the UHF channels are back.

So I guess we will have to do without ch 8 until we can either adjust or go up with the antenna.

Thank you so much for referring me to the MCM company. They sent some catalogs that look like they have some interesting things. So will have to look through them and see if I can find something else to get in trouble with.
Your assistance is really appreciated.

Ron.M
Veteran

Jul 7, 2009, 12:52 AM

Post #47 of 57 (1056 views)
Shortcut

Astrovel;.....

We didn't get the antenna raised up because there was a medical emergency in the family and they spent almost the whole weekend in the emergency room at the hospital.

I SINCERELY hope EVERYONE is OK....

Now for the TV:...

But....I received the amplifier booster today, installed it and it has corrected the pixelation on the VHF channels except for channel 8 and 11...can't get either of those even with a pixelated picture but now I am not getting any UHF channels at all.

Re-scan the TV...
RE:..Chan's 8 & 11..Let's wait till you get the antenna situation resolved...
The switch is for the FM trap...
In your case ,it wont make any difference whether you have it "on" or "off"...

Went back in the thread to refresh my memory....Found this:==>

Went to WM and the ones they have are exactly like what I have now. The box says that they pull in digital signals up to 20 miles. Sigh..

According to past info , Some of your stations are 45+ miles away....
I'm hoping the new amplifier & raising the antenna will compensate for that distance....

I don't see why I would need a booster if I was getting the signals before the storm and before the digital switch.

The signals you got before the storm & digital switch were analog...
The new transmitted digital signals are WEAKER than the analog signals were...

EDIT:... You snuck a post in on me while I was working on my post....Sly....
Anyway , I hope this post helps....

Later....Ron.M...Cool.....

(This post was edited by Ron.M on Jul 7, 2009, 12:56 AM)

Ron.M
Veteran

Jul 13, 2009, 5:50 PM

Post #48 of 57 (1037 views)
Shortcut

Astrovel;....

I haven't heard from you in about a week,so I thought I'd clue you in on a discovery I made this weekend...

1st:...I need an update from you on how you're doing with the antenna situation....

2nd;...Can you check with your son & ask him if there's an amplifier on the antenna itself ???<==Important info...

I will fill you in when you reply.....

THANKS....

Astrovel
New User

Jul 13, 2009, 11:37 PM

Post #49 of 57 (1030 views)
Shortcut

Hi Ron,

I asked my son if there is an amplifier on the antenna itself (on the pole) and he isn't quite sure about the answer to that. He said that the little box the coax cabling goes into and comes out of requires power, so he is assuming that there is an amplifier up there and the little box is just the power to it. When you unplug that power cord from that little box, you lose all picture. Nothing comes in. Plug it back in and the picture returns. Your guess is as good as mine???

The TV tech is being pushed back a week, won't get here until July 21. Dang!

Meantime, we are just dealing with the pixelation etc until we can get the antenna adjusted. Let me know if you have found a wonderful fix!!!!
Thanks

Ron.M
Veteran

Jul 14, 2009, 12:38 AM

Post #50 of 57 (1027 views)
Shortcut

Astrovel;....

He said that the little box the coax cabling goes into and comes out of requires power, so he is assuming that there is an amplifier up there and the little box is just the power to it.

We may have a "new' game plan here....

To find out IF there's an amplifier up in the antenna,here's what we need to do...
1st:..Unplug the amp (AC power cord) behind the TV set...
2nd:...Disconnect the cable that runs outside to the antenna...
3rd:..Connect THAT cable to the "antenna" input ON your TV..Disconnect the cable that's already there from the back of the TV & leave it hang....
4th:..Turn on the TV....Do NOT re-scan...
5th:...Manually select some channels that you know came in good...
6th:...Reverse the above & hook up TV as it was...
7th:...Post results...

Meantime, we are just dealing with the pixelation etc until we can get the antenna adjusted. Let me know if you have found a wonderful fix!!!!

Please hold off on any antenna repairs till I can get "all the ducks in a row"...
I may have an ideal solution....

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.27 s on (CGI/1.1)