Kinda OT, one for Barry or JTS.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Barry777
User

Jun 26, 2010, 12:12 PM

Post #26 of 98 (7083 views)
Shortcut
Re: [heviarti] Kinda OT, one for Barry or JTS. [In reply to] Can't Post

Bummer, man - I'm really sorry to hear that. It sucks when you're anticipating something like that for days, then the darn thing doesn't work. I threw the remote to my DVD changer and lost some of the functions too. Tried to fix it a couple times, but I guess I blew part of the processor. In my case, I lost the special functions only, so maybe there are two main "blocks" of circuitry. I think MCM Electronics is offering original factory remotes for most major brands right now if that helps.

Very neat trick on the cell phone camera - I would have never thought of that. Before I got the Avionics job, I worked for Night Vision who made all kinds of infrared stuff and thermal imaging equipment. They closed down and some of the people (only the good ones) came to where I work now, and I haven't seen any of the troublemakers yet.
Barry Fone - VCR Repair hobbyist and professional FAA Repair Station Avionics Bench Technician (top level). TEST EQUIPMENT: (4) Sencore VC93 VCR Analyzers, (11) Tentel gauges, Sencore VA48 and (2) VA62 Video Analyzers, Sigma Electronics TSG-375 NTSC/SMPTE Video Generator, several VCR Alignment Tapes, plus countless Oscilloscopes, Frequency Counters, Wow and Flutter Meters, Distortion Analyzers, Vectorscope, 136-channel Logic Analyzer, Signature Analyzer . . . . VIDEO GEAR: (6) JVC BR-S822U's, (3) JVC BR-7000 series, (3) JVC BR-S500U, (2) JVC BR-S800U, JVC GR-800U and (2) GR-860U Editing Controllers, Sony FXE-100 Video Switcher/Effects Generator, (5) Time Code Generator/Readers, (1) Sony SLO-1800 (Beta), (2) Alesis ADAT-XT, (1) Sony DXC-1200 TV Camera, Pioneer VP-1000 Laser Disc Player plus many consumer grade Beta and VHS VCR's. Passionate electronics enthusiast since 1973...most anything except computers. Check out my collection at www.barrys8trackrepair.com/MyVideoGear.html

heviarti
User

Jun 26, 2010, 5:06 PM

Post #27 of 98 (7082 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Barry777] Kinda OT, one for Barry or JTS. [In reply to] Can't Post

oooo thermal :) I'd love to have a thermal scope instead of just night vision.

The bit with the phone is pretty useful.

I'd try to set up this remote to control other equipment, but the instructions are almost incomprehensible.

Had to open up the Mitsubishi and clean the heads. The place I got it was hard on it, with the incense, cigarette, weed, and kerosene smoke. It took both sides of three Q-tips. It started getting staticy while I was recording. Sure wish a guy could still get a decent head cleaner.

Waiting for my new fridge... Old one is designed by tards... Ices up and stops cooling... I'm getting sick of going in with my macchinetta every two and a half months to de-ice the port that leads to the fridge from the freezer, and the coils.

heviarti
User

Jun 27, 2010, 6:23 AM

Post #28 of 98 (7078 views)
Shortcut

here's one for you.... What's the difference between the BR 5 6 and 8 22U? They apparently both use the same expansion cards.

Barry777
User

Jun 29, 2010, 3:42 AM

Post #29 of 98 (7071 views)
Shortcut

The 622 is an 822 without most of the advanced editing features/buttons. The 622 was popular as a "feeder" though it does have Record capability, while the 822 was more of a full blown editing recorder. They share the same specs and use most of the same boards. Both machines are covered in the same service manual, with some sections simply omitted for the 622. Since most professional video recording involves at least two players and one recorder (with several monitors to view the action at every part of the signal chain), the JVC BR-S series made it convenient to perform all editing/recording while only needing to operate one machine (the recorder), as it can be set up to operate all 3 machines at once.

I thought my third 822 had bad video heads, and discovered over the weekend that the heads are fine, and that the trouble is in the PG circuitry - so there's my project for the upcoming 3 day weekend. I'm in contact with a former JVC technician to help me figure it out, and I'm studying the service manual and VCR theory like crazy - these 822's are tremendously complex as you can imagine. 17 freakin' boards at least, most of them densely packed - and you can't really swap boards to find the trouble, as they all need to be precisely timed to each other and the mechanism. The Electrical Alignment section alone is 25 pages - and that's not counting the Mechanical Alignment section. That's why I say make sure it works before you buy one!
Barry Fone - VCR Repair hobbyist and professional FAA Repair Station Avionics Bench Technician (top level). TEST EQUIPMENT: (4) Sencore VC93 VCR Analyzers, (11) Tentel gauges, Sencore VA48 and (2) VA62 Video Analyzers, Sigma Electronics TSG-375 NTSC/SMPTE Video Generator, several VCR Alignment Tapes, plus countless Oscilloscopes, Frequency Counters, Wow and Flutter Meters, Distortion Analyzers, Vectorscope, 136-channel Logic Analyzer, Signature Analyzer . . . . VIDEO GEAR: (6) JVC BR-S822U's, (3) JVC BR-7000 series, (3) JVC BR-S500U, (2) JVC BR-S800U, JVC GR-800U and (2) GR-860U Editing Controllers, Sony FXE-100 Video Switcher/Effects Generator, (5) Time Code Generator/Readers, (1) Sony SLO-1800 (Beta), (2) Alesis ADAT-XT, (1) Sony DXC-1200 TV Camera, Pioneer VP-1000 Laser Disc Player plus many consumer grade Beta and VHS VCR's. Passionate electronics enthusiast since 1973...most anything except computers. Check out my collection at www.barrys8trackrepair.com/MyVideoGear.html

heviarti
User

Jun 29, 2010, 4:24 AM

Post #30 of 98 (7069 views)
Shortcut

Which brings me to my next issue... I've found a certain variant of the 822 in a titanium grey finish with some additional video circuitry... Just nod if you know the model I mean... for $25. The word on it is "powers up, but doesn't do anything" I can either ignore it or get it. Seems to me I've read the word 'mode switch' more than once, and it seems like if the player is not taking any action it might not be in the proper mode... Of course I may be way off base, but that's my guess. As near as I can gather all the mechanical parts are the same, it's just the video output boards that differ, and the series has builtin TBC and TCG, except for on the 822 variant they're optional... Email me or something and I'll give you a model number and some links if you don't have it figured out what I'm talking about.

I'm considering this one fairly serious, because a power up with no action sounds like an easy one... but you've been inside one before so I'll take your advice.

jts1957
Veteran

Jun 29, 2010, 8:40 AM

Post #31 of 98 (7068 views)
Shortcut

Mode switches gum up and/or tarnish. Electronics can't tell "what mode" item mechanics are in.

-------------------------

Barry777
User

Jun 29, 2010, 12:15 PM

Post #32 of 98 (7065 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Kinda OT, one for Barry or JTS. [In reply to] Can't Post

On the left side of the unit, there should be a row of 5 slide switches above the record level knobs (front panel). If the rightmost switch is not in the center position (Local Control), then the front panel buttons won't do anything and the machine is set to receive commands externally. That would be the ideal scenario. Otherwise, it could be any number of things - yes the mode switch, frozen mechanism (fairly easy to take out and lubricate), loading belt or motor, problem with the loading carriage. In the worst case, it could be the Operation CPU board (inside the front panel), System Control board (probably not repairable due to parts availability), Power Supply ("probably" repairable). For $25, I would just buy it rather than asking the seller to set it to "Local" and check it again, as he might just raise the price if the darn thing starts working.

My very strong recommendation is to jump on it, even if it ends up becoming a parts unit for future use to repair another machine. The option boards alone are well worth $100 ($25 + shipping). Keep in mind that most mechanical parts for this unit (as well as boards) are no longer available except from another unit, so it's a very good move to have a spare unit you can use for parts. And if you're lucky, the thing will work with a little persuasion. You'll most likely need a new pinch roller which, fortunately, IS still available for about $10. The machine will almost certainly need at least minor maintenance - probably more from sitting for years than from heavy use.

If you start collecting 822's (or 622's), I can help you out quite a bit on diagnosis and repair since I have the service manual - I can even send you the manual on CD which I don't need, but it's missing most of the schematics. That can also be taken care of, but the schematics are pretty useless without some test equipment. If it needs any kind of alignment, you're totally "hosed" as you say. At any rate, the manual is some very interesting and educational reading, and an absolute necessity to find your way through the hundreds of menu options. Let's pray that the seller can pack it so the front panel (and thus the CPU board) doesn't get smashed as it did on one of mine. I spent my entire Thanksgiving day installing a bunch of tiny jumpers to fix that board and the panel.

Incidentally, Q Tips are good for everything except the video heads, as they can leave tiny fibers behind which can clog the head gap. For the last 25+ years, I've used a fingertip poked through a T-shirt and dipped in alcohol. Much faster, just be very gentle on the heads themselves. Virtually all manuals and professionals insist on a strictly side-to-side motion when you reach the heads, but I go up-and-down at this point. Since the gap is vertical, this minimizes the chance of clogging it - and also makes it much more dangerous since the brittle ferrite core can snap right off doing it my way. I've only broken one head, and it was with the customer right there! Thankfully, I just happened to have a compatible upper head drum on hand. Whew!

You might also want to join the VCR Repair Forum at www.videokarma.org There are a couple pretty hot technicians on there, and maybe a little more action.

Jump on it man!

(This post was edited by Barry777 on Jun 29, 2010, 1:02 PM)

heviarti
User

Jun 29, 2010, 2:33 PM

Post #33 of 98 (7060 views)
Shortcut

Keep in mind this model is the direct replacement for the BR-S822U, and thusly slightly newer... It's almost exactly the same machine. Like I said, if you're real curious I'll tell you the model number somewhere non-public. As Irish mythology says, 'to know somethin's true name is to have power over it'. There is also one of these that's a 622 variant, but it's $1095. It was shown displaying it's hourmeters on a monitor... way cool.

I did ask the seller if he had just thrown a tape and some AC at it or if he had looked inside at all. (it looks like there may be an access plate over the head drum) I hope I haven't shamed him into further testing. I did figure there was something like the 'local' setting that would render one of these non-op.

I'll grab it.

JTS: I hate to disagree with you, but the insides of a VCR are all about the electronics sampling the state of the mechanics. Electric eyes and microswitches are used to determine the position or state of the mechanical parts. A good example of this is the electric eye that determines if there is a tape present. If the electronics don't sample a state that includes a tape (or dummy tape) present, no tape functions will operate.

Barry777
User

Jun 30, 2010, 12:00 AM

Post #34 of 98 (7057 views)
Shortcut

JTS - of course you are absolutely right. However, these JVC pro machines have higher-quality, sealed switches and much more advanced sensing circuitry, which actually makes the usual mode switch/microswitch/leaf spring switch/infrared LED/phototransistor conditions normally encountered on consumer VCR's secondary to the more common frozen mechanism/mis-set controls/balky carriage problems I find more commonly on these particular machines. Or something in the electronics. I was stating what I commonly have found, not the only things it could be. Of course it could be something as simple as dirty switches, but I was setting him up for more complex and very real possibilities (from my direct experience and intimate knowledge of the circuitry via the service manual) before he makes the financial move, as he doesn't have the test equipment for any real troubleshooting.

Some of the mechanical adjustments are software-controlled on these, as well as almost all fine electronic adjustments (with the coarse adjustments performed during the alignment procedure). Back tension is set through software control, as well as braking torque and some other stuff. Basically, I was explaining that these machines generally can't be fixed by "tinkering" or mere switch cleaning like most consumer units, and that he may be in for a real challenge if he buys one. To a professional technician who has studied the service manual for these units, the obvious and universal electromechanical/optical sensing stuff is long forgotten in the study of the deeper aspects of the electronics. On these machines, it's generally either something very simple like a mis-set front panel switch or stuck mechanism, or something really tough like the PG pulse being 30 mS on the negative half-cycle and 75 mS on the positive half-cycle. It's generally not going to be a dirty switch, bad phototransistor or something simple like that, because professional technicians kept these machines in alignment at the studio, and would have already cleared those possibilities quickly.

The sellers of these machines are often people who have no idea how to operate them, and call them "bad" or "untested" when it won't rewind or go into Play. Depending on the front panel switches and/or the menu settings, the machine may either not work at all, or produce an unrecognizeable picture because of the horizontal frame rate setting, etc. Or the number of lines before vertical sync they set the headswitching point. If someone played with the internal service switches, the machine could be in "alignment" mode and not operate as expected. There are thousands of possibilities on these pro machines, with dirty switches being pretty far down on the list. I agree with you, but not when it comes to these particular machines - and that is said from direct recent experience.

You may indeed be correct, but so far I haven't found any balky mechanical switches on any of my 3 BR-S822U machines. They all had more than one problem, and all except one (sluggish mechanism) had problems in the circuitry. I also have 2 BR-800U's and 2 BR-500U's, and didn't have any trouble with switches in those either - the trouble was elsewhere. So logically, it's not likely to happen on any of these 3 models. My guess is that professional machines incorporated higher quality parts that are known to break down frequently such as microswitches, LED's and phototransistors. Since these machines were designed for continuous, heavy use and sold for more than $6000, it makes sense to me.

heviarti
User

Jun 30, 2010, 12:30 AM

Post #35 of 98 (7056 views)
Shortcut

I examined the picture carefully...
Rightmost vertical slide switch above level controls appears to be down, third LED from the left under the tape slot is lit orange, display shows a single red mark in the area directly above the gap between the record and play buttons.

That say anything?

Barry777
User

Jun 30, 2010, 3:13 AM

Post #36 of 98 (7053 views)
Shortcut

Hmmm, that doesn't sound good at all. You should get a 7 or 8 digit display regardless of any settings if the machine is electronically functional. And if you try to play a tape and encounter a problem, there should be a 2 digit error code using the two leftmost digits. For instance, I placed a lot of slack in the tape to make it shut down (thereby turning on the "Auto Off" LED which is red but probably looks orange in the picture), and got error code 71 = capstan motor failure, since the takeup reel was sensing the wrong rotational speed. No digits at all strongly suggests a problem on the CPU board which also drives the display. CPU failure probably means total machine failure for all practical purposes- but it could also be on the Syscon board which would render the machine a parts unit as well. A very remote possibility is the power supply, which would normally be a much stronger suspect if this machine didn't have 16+ more boards to break down.

The LED's under the tape door on my machine, left to right, are as follows:

3 together - to indicate whether the machine is set for standard VHS or VHS-C (tape size). The 822 will play both, as the tape door has a smaller slot built-in to accept a VHS-C tape. One LED lit is for VHS-C, and all 3 lit is for standard and S-VHS. Then the rest are:

Auto Off * S-VHS * TBC * Genlock * Servo Lock * CTL Pulse * Hi-Fi * Limiter * NR * LTC * VITC * DF

All LED's except "Auto Off" are green. I would still jump on it for a parts unit, but would look elsewhere if you're hoping to get one you can fix without spending a fortune. 822's are currently in the $300 range in "untested" condition, which makes me very glad I bought mine when I did. I think I got one of them for $9.99 plus $60 shipping. And at my shop rates, I've probably put about $3000 of labor into it to fix the many little problems it had. I think you'll do much better if you wait it out and find one that does more.

To jts: That ain't no dirty switch :-)

(This post was edited by Barry777 on Jun 30, 2010, 3:14 AM)

heviarti
User

Jun 30, 2010, 1:59 PM

Post #37 of 98 (7046 views)
Shortcut

Now that you've seen it, maybe some of the stuff I'm saying makes more sense. Did you determine that had a codegen by looking at it, or did you read the specs for that model? When I read the article from JVC it said that on that particular model the codegen and TBC are optional. What's the third device you said might be present?

Every 22 series model has a titanium grey doppelganger like that. If you put those two additional letters in a '622 model number, there's one of them up too. Unfortunately it's $1000.

Did you observe the same conditions I did with the indicator lamps and switches? I'm willing to say your screen is bigger than mine. (I'm on a Palm Centro)

First thing to do will be to go through all the settings.... That'll be like landing a 747 and being 'talked down'. The way you describe it there's probably not a 'reset to default' function for all the software/firmware options.

While I'm waiting for that, I got a new project last night.... Figure out how I'm going to get CC3 on the Hitachi. Tv Azteca and Telemundo both run english closed captions on CC3, but the Hitachi only gets 1 and 2. I think I'll either have to find some kind of filter that can swap the CC1/CC2 data with CC3/CC4, or see if I can do the job with a Telecaption II. Then I'll at least have something worth watching other than 35, or for when 35 has technical difficulties, which seems often.... and it also seems like they don't have a broadcast engineer. I didn't get to see the end of the episode of Magnum P.I. last night- rather, I saw twenty minutes of dead air. It turns out I can only catch about half what's being said on the Spanish channels. Amazingly, Roni Deutch's commercial is better in Spanish. (my friend and I used to make fun of her commercial in English before I slung the lousy slob out.)

anyway, off to feed the cows.

jts1957
Veteran

Jun 30, 2010, 6:51 PM

Post #38 of 98 (7043 views)
Shortcut

Hulu has season 1 of Magnum P.I.Smile

-------------------------

heviarti
User

Jun 30, 2010, 8:41 PM

Post #39 of 98 (7040 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Kinda OT, one for Barry or JTS. [In reply to] Can't Post

They also have Esteban and the seven cities of gold, and maybe VR5, but I can't watch any of it on my palm centro. Plus I don't think Limbo is a first season episode.

I need to get tv out working off my video card... then I can feed it to my dvd recorder.... or into the videobus... then if I can fix the doubling on my tv card I can route everything back to the computer.

It also turns out the Telecaption II won't read cc 3 or 4, so I need to find something to swap the line 21 data fields.

heviarti
User

Jun 30, 2010, 9:05 PM

Post #40 of 98 (7039 views)
Shortcut

Barry: The guy responded to my email... his test included just powering it on. No attempt to fiddle with any part of it. Nothing.

Barry777
User

Jun 30, 2010, 11:58 PM

Post #41 of 98 (7036 views)
Shortcut

It was a bit confusing, but the Time Code Gen/Reader is standard, while the TBC and DNR are optional. Since it was the VITC LED that is lit on the machine, that unfortunately doesn't give us any clues as to whether the TBC or DNR are installed. Resetting to factory shipped condition is done by pressing STOP, COUNTER RESET and EJECT while powering the machine up.

External evidence of the TBC is 3 BNC connectors on the rear of the machine, just above the RS-422 connector and next to one of the fans, and the DNR board would be beneath the TC board behind the front panel which swings up - which looks REALLY cool. Basic operation is still pretty similar to any other VCR, except that you use the jog wheel for cue and review. Whether or not the machine automatically rewinds at tape end (and starts playing again or just stays stopped) is configured in the menu settings, and some subfunctions are set by internal switches on the boards.

Using the jog wheel, you can advance the tape frame by frame, and even slowly move through the same frame for a perfectly noise-free picture - or you can advance it as fast as you want forwards or backwards. The jog wheel is concentric, with the outer part serving as a rough cue/review control (3 speed settings plus pause), with the inner part being completely at your mercy with totally manual positioning of the tape.

Like other pro machines, you can use the meters for either audio level, or tracking (video RF level). You can also record on both Hi-Fi and linear audio tracks for 4 separate tracks of audio, and even dub in another sudio source and/or add a time code signal after the fact. You can control 2 machines using only the controls of one, and set either one as the recoring or playback machine.

I haven't explored a tenth of what this machine can do, since at this point I'm mainly interested in fixing them, learning the circuitry and watching movies. Later, I'll hook them in with my time code equipment, ADAT machines and remote controller (which controls 2 feeders and one recorder) for a 24 track audio, 2 camera recording system for taping bands, and one last hurrah of myself on stage.

When you get this machine, I'll send you a copy of the instruction manual so you can play :-) If it needs other than simple mechanical repairs, you'll need a scope (and to completely recap all suspect boards) before I can help you - otherwise it will be a complete waste of my time since you won't have the gear to use my advice. Cheers Dude - hope you get the machine. PS - I see they have another one now - with the display looking like it should when powerd up.

(This post was edited by Barry777 on Jul 1, 2010, 12:01 AM)

heviarti
User

Jul 1, 2010, 1:33 AM

Post #42 of 98 (7034 views)
Shortcut

Cool... codegen. Is the TBC in these line or full-frame... or do you know? I can eliminate two items from my feed chain if it's full-frame (and can be made operational). What does the DNR board do? and what's a VITC?

Ok, there's a soft reset, and I assume that in addition to setting local control there are a few other crucial hard settings to check. (flaps down two notches, indicator on the first line below center on the artifical horizon :) )

I thought I saw one with the panel swung up. I'm semi-familiar with the auto loop function, I have it on the mitsu and the u-matic though i've never used it. The mitsu has the same concentric jog on the machine and the remote. I've not entirely figured it out- mainly due to lack of a manual. Also curious what the 'edit' port does...

Four channel audio is cool. I can feed that from (or to) my quad.

And meanwhile, right now I have this '80s tune stuck in my head... It's something about 'the night'... I heard it on Knight Rider yesterday... The episode where Bonnie witnesses a murder, and there's some wierdness with her new apartment (somebody's Gaslighting her). The funniest thing was I was Singing the acapella part of the chorus (O-oh-woh, Oh-way-oh), and the meter reader got it stuck on his head. I told him not to feel so bad, because I have the Synth intro and can almost hear the lyrics.

Just like working on any machine, before I'm in it I have about three possible diagnoses. One is improper setup, one is (check this out) The display itself is hosed (which would explain only one leg of one seven segment display is all that's displaying), another is mechanical failure, finally worst, a control board failure. I'm not totally helpless... I do have my Fluke.

Barry777
User

Jul 1, 2010, 3:57 AM

Post #43 of 98 (7031 views)
Shortcut

Here I go pasting your questions onto the other screen again - we're gonna have to stop meeting like this or the wife will start getting worried. I haven't studied or tried to use the TBC, but it would probably be the whole hog since these machines are professional duplicators, which possibly also means transfer to DVD. I'll try to learn more about them when I have the time, but basic information on this stuff seems very hard to come by - all the material I've read seems to assume you already know a lot about it.

The DNR is Digital Noise Reduction, and is used to clear up video noise caused by repeated dubbing (and subsequent wear) of the master tapes from what I've read. These 822's do have a very sharp, clear and vivid picture, and the NR light comes on when I play a tape - that's all I know at this point though.

VITC stands for Vertical Interval Time Code, which means the time code is incorporated into the video information, rather than being recorded on the linear audio track. Using VITC means you don't have to use up one of the normal audio tracks for the TC information, and also means the time code is more precise. The disadvantage of VITC is that you can't add it later, as it would erase the existing video information. With LTC (Linear Time Code), you can add it after finishing all the recording. Each has its own pros and cons, and is chosen according to the application. Unfortunately, they are not compatible with each other. There is also CTL time code which JVC invented - don't know much about that, and the 822 has that also.

The "quad" function would definitely work - perhaps you could record the main audio using the Hi-Fi channels, and have a delayed, reverbed or otherwise effected (yes, "effected, not "affected") signal on the normal tracks where the reduced frequency response wouldn't really be an issue. The Hi-Fi audio has the full 20 Hz - 20 kHz range, whereas the linear audio channels drop off at around 12 kHz - so that is good for voice and effects. Having a delayed signal behind you might offer a nice pseudo-surround effect. For that matter, you could be your own foley artist and add more sounds to make it more lifelike and original.

Now, the excellent news: I have definitely, unquestionaly found the heads on my "bad" 822 to be just fine. My problem is a missing PG pulse that comes from the head drum, which is almost certainly bad surface mount caps on the stator board, a common problem on these even 15 years ago. By now, those little puppies are definitely toast. I used my VC93 to feed a substitute 30 Hz pulse to the chip that processes the signal, and the picture popped in clear as day, and the PG pulse snapped to the proper waveshape on the scope. Of course, my VC93 is not synchronized to the rest of the VCR's circuitry so the picture came and went in a regular pattern - but when it was there, it was REALLY there. I'll have to pull the mechanism to replace the caps, which is an excellent opportunity to clean and lube it. With any luck, I'll have 3 good machines by Saturday morning - finally!

I hope it IS just the display on your machine. I guess we'll know soon enough. I'm getting curious, and anxious to try and help you find the trouble. Heyyyy, maybe you can get some O'scope software and save a ton of cash. I prefer the instant response of the old-fashioned analog scopes, but you gotta do whatcha gotta do with whatcha have to work with.

Barry777
User

Jul 2, 2010, 1:22 AM

Post #44 of 98 (7024 views)
Shortcut

YESSSSSSS !!!!! TOTALLY FREAKING NAILED !

Pulled up the mechanism and replaced the 3.3 uF surface mount electrolytic on the drum cylinder stator board - put 'er back together and the picture popped in beautifully! Recorded a short segment, and it also looks great played back on another machine. I'm a happy little dude. Soon as I recap the audio output board, the video portion of my makeshift production studio will be complete. All I need now is an Aleses BRC and maybe one more decent camera, and I'll be good to go. My "parts" unit just became Oh Beloved #3 - and now I have the entire 3 day weekend free to play around and nap. Dig it!

Hope you scored that DXU heviarti, 'cause it's in my blood now...

Did some research, and the built-in TBC is full field (but since it takes 2 fields to make one frame...?) I put the brochure for the BR-S822U (which shows the options also) and the service manual (which includes full instructions) on my website if you want to download it:

www.barrys8trackrepair.com/JVC.html

(This post was edited by Barry777 on Jul 2, 2010, 1:18 PM)

heviarti
User

Jul 4, 2010, 4:49 PM

Post #45 of 98 (7012 views)
Shortcut

Congrats on getting your machine up and going. If you've got one with a TBC, and know somebody with a magnavox DVD/VHS dub deck you can find out if the TBC in the JVC eats macrovision or not.

In other news I got the JVC. I also spent way too much money....on something else. The ISP I used to work for went out of business... The first two servers they put in in 1997, and the first UNIX machine I ever dealt with were for sale for $15 each. Sad way to get the two machines I always wanted.... but I have the servers I cut my teeth on.

Then I called Steve, who used to admin them to get the root pass, and arranged to borrow a scope. Which one do I want: 100 MHz digital HP or 375 MHz analog Tektronix? I don't really know what those ratings mean, but I can use whichever I need.

Creepiest movie I've ever seen:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?desktop_uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DoRQvx0ZOjcY&v=oRQvx0ZOjcY&gl=US

Now we wait till it gets here. I'll have to go somewhere where the service is better to download a 63 meg file.

Barry777
User

Jul 4, 2010, 7:26 PM

Post #46 of 98 (7009 views)
Shortcut

Did some more research about TBC's, Macrovision, etc. From what I've read and heard from former JVC techs, all you need to defeat Macrovision is to be able to disable the video AGC (Automatic Gain Control) while recording, since Macrovision disrupts the AGC that is a "forced" option on all consumer-grade VCR's. You'll be able to disable the AGC on your 822, so I guess we'll know for sure 'cause I'm too lazy to try it on mine. Of course, it's unlikely that a consumer DVD recorder will have that option anyway, and the video AGC is switchable only in Record mode - so you'll still need your TBC. for transfer to DVD.

With older anti-copy systems like CopyGuard, it IS the actual timing pulses that are messed with, and a TBC is absolutely needed to restore proper timing. Apparently, your TBC does more than just correct the sync, since you're also able to defeat Macrovision with it. A true, professional TBC uses separate connections for Y (luminance), R-Y (red minus luminance) and B-Y (blue minus luminance), and naturally requires corresponding connections for anything connected to it. Possibly, there are different types of TBC's from simple video stabilizers for home use, to the stuff I don't yet understand that will hopefully be on your 822 also. We'll have fun learning about them.

On the scope issue, I think the analog Tektronix will be much easier for a novice to figure out, as there will be more hands-on front-panel controls and less stuff hidden behind menu trees. Also, analog scopes show the wave instantaneously, whereas there is always a slight delay with a digital scope while its internal computer processes the information. This means that a digital scope will have a somewhat jerky response when you're testing the action of, say, a volume control - and will make it look like the control is not smooth. Digital scopes also have wayyyy too many features that will only confuse someone unfamilar with their basic operation. For right now, you want to learn how to use one and perform basic measurements - you won't need to confuse yourself with how to expand the wave for easier rise time measurements, or how to delay the sweep to examine a tiny part of the wave for noise or glitches, etc. You'll want something that you can learn to trace signals with, not something that takes hours to figure out how to even SEE the signal. Another factor (not really that important) is that video signals go as high as 4.5 MHz, but you won't need more than 20 MHz for most troubleshooting anyway. 375 MHz will give you a brighter, sharper and more stable trace at higher frequencies. Digital scopes also usually have a lower maximum input level since they're made more for digital troubleshooting, and it's not hard to fry the input amplifiers on them if you're not very careful.

Some digital scopes DO have one really cool feature though - automatic scaling. On an analog scope, you need to set the vertical gain and time base to match that of the wave you're measuring, which I usually do just by experimentation - flipping both until I see the wave, then fine-tuning it to see it better. On most digital scopes, you can just hit Auto Scale and the wave will pop right in perfectly. But this assumes that you already know how to use a scope in the basic sense. You'll cheat yourself out of 95% of the learning process if you start right off with a digital scope with all its automatic functions. If you also have access to the user manual, then it's a slightly different story. My digital scope is an HP 54201A, and most of the operations are probably fairly similar if you just HAVE to play with a digital scope to start off :-) The BAMA website might even have the user manual for both.

As a side note, I finally dragged out my digital scope yesterday, and set the manual next to it while I fed some test signals into it to figure out how to use it. Have to say, I don't see myself using it very much, unless I have some really unusual timing issue in a circuit that would be easier to see on a digital scope. Otherwise, it was a lot of work for a little payoff (sort of like trying to make money playing music). For the stuff I do on the bench, an analog scope is simply much faster and easier in most cases.

So it's pretty much up to you which one you choose. If you want to learn how scopes work, how to get good at using them and ESPECIALLY want to spend your time learning how to troubleshoot electronics, definitely go for the analog that you can figure out quickly. If you go with the HP, you'll also learn a lot - but it will be information that applies more to that particular scope, not really stuff you can use after you give it back. Most of the experienced guys at work, as well as myself, much prefer an analog scope for troubleshooting. Digital scopes are only better for certain isolated applications, and can be a real pain in the ass when you're trying to get stuff done. Since I work many benches and many products, I use a different scope every couple hours sometimes. You'll hear me cussing and saying "how do you get this damn thing to work?" fairly often when it's a digital scope. And we're not supposed to be cussing at work :-)

Barry777
User

Jul 4, 2010, 8:02 PM

Post #47 of 98 (7007 views)
Shortcut

Now there's an area you can someday help ME on, as I'm pretty much a moron when it comes to computers. I'm always wearing out hard drives from leaving my computers on continuously, but don't have the knowledge to install new ones, put in the operating systems, etc. I can add peripheral cards and usually get them to work, add RAM and mess with the software to fix minor problems, but that's about it. Never got interested in computers as far as messing with the insides. I'm assuming that servers are super-powerful computers of some sort?

I'm the type of moron who needs to buy factory computers, so I can do a full factory restore when I can't fix a problem. Pretty lame, I'll admit. Lately I've been buying these "custom" computers assembled from the junk the guy couldn't build into a "real" computer, so some of the things advertised on the front panel either don't work, or don't exist anymore inside the case. Since I mainly use them for everyday tasks, it's not really a problem if I got the thing for $125. I do make sure they have fast processors - other than that, I have no idea what to look for. I get 2 or 3 years out of them, then buy another piece of junk when they won't boot up anymore. Of course, the wife gets new stuff so I don't have to constantly troubleshoot her system - I have enough trouble with the little water fountain pump clogging with cat hair every few weeks. I love our demonic little furballs for some crazy reason.

heviarti
User

Jul 4, 2010, 8:28 PM

Post #48 of 98 (7007 views)
Shortcut

My current setup for VHS -> DVD is MITSU -> TBC -> U-MATIC (for adjusting audio level) -> DVD RECORDER. The TBC is a Prime Image Freeze II. the controls are as follows, Left to Right: LEVEL (AGC), SETUP (H-POS), CHROMA (Y/C DELAY), HUE (ADV-C), INPUT /2NDF, FRZ (STROBE), DTL (RATE), H0 and SC0. I know what freeze/strobe does, but I don't understand the why of strobe. I also know what the Input button does (I'm using composite.). The rest of 'em? I can foul the color up real bad with 'em... other than that I don't know. I do know my 19 inch rackmount, all steel TBC is a piece of pro equipment.

On the rear I have two BNC composite connectors I've adapted to RCA, two connectors marked Y/C that look like S-video, a 25 pin serial port for a remote, and two more BNC for Genlock. I'm not 100 percent sure how to do anything with it, but I know genlock syncs video timing. I have a genlock option card in my SGI.

I guess I'll borrow the analog. Steve had it calibrated a couple years ago.... Probably after he got it back from Ricardo. (great tech, awful human being) I think I've seen the digital before... it was all dials and knobs, display looked wierd.

I agree with you about this pro video equipment being hard to learn. It's not something a guy gets to deal with regularly. I wish I knew who the local luminary for dealing with this stuff was... there's gotta be somebody that just hacks around with this stuff all day I could go help out for a week. (so far the only two kinds of shop I've never been in for engine powered stuff is boat and Plane, been in every other kind of shop) It's nice to learn what's considered normal in each field... gives a guy a new lease on fixing something else...

Barry777
User

Jul 5, 2010, 6:29 AM

Post #49 of 98 (7002 views)
Shortcut

I understand the controls well enough to have finally come to this conclusion: It takes a pretty solid electronics background to know exactly how they affect the video signal - quite a bit deeper than I'm used to. This explains why there are no books or tutorials on the subject, as the electronics courses (especially as they relate to video signal construction, transmission and processing) ARE the very books required to figure it all out. Once we have the in-depth knowledge, we won't need any further guidance. I recognize SC as being the color subcarrier, and the Y and C being the luminance and chroma signals. These concepts are the basis for the entire unit, with the rest of the controls being somewhat derivitive of the broader scenario. Basically, you're varying the phase and delay of one circuit related to another to make the sync line back up properly, and you can mess up the sync (and therefore fix it also) at many different points in the signal chain. And of course, the horizontal sync has a heavy effect on everything also.

The whole thing is wayyyy too involed to go into here without my login timing out and probably losing everything (which already happened ealier today), but I'm going to really hit the books and post my findings on my website - probably create a new page for it. Keep an eye out, and I'll let you know when I put something new on there.

And I FINALLY found a book with an entire chapter on electronic video editing, so we can figure out the features on our 822's. I'll post those findings on the website too, since it will be the only place on the Internet I know of to find it. This book was written in 1975, before VHS was even invented and the standard was reel-to-reel video machines. More later - cheers!

(This post was edited by Barry777 on Jul 5, 2010, 6:32 AM)

Barry777
User

Jul 5, 2010, 7:52 PM

Post #50 of 98 (6997 views)
Shortcut

I just took zillions of pictures of most of my video gear and posted them on my website. Man, I have a lot more junk than I thought, even after selling oFf some 75 pieces of test equipment. Here's the page:

www.barrys8trackrepair.com/MyVideoGear.html

Also, that same book has a nice chapter on time base correctors, with fairly detailed explanations on some of the controls you mention, sample schematics, etc. As soon as I know what I'm talking about, I'll add a TBC page to my website and let you know. It will most likely be a link on the "VCR's" page. On the controls that say H0 and SC0, there should be a diagonal line through the 0's, which is the electronic symbol for "phase". In that case, those controls are for Horizontal Phase and (color)Subcarrier Phase.

Kinda sad that we have to resort to a 35 year old book for this information, but that was before all the automatic crap that disables people's brains. More news at 10....

(This post was edited by Barry777 on Jul 6, 2010, 1:00 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.20 s on (CGI/1.1)