Kinda OT, one for Barry or JTS.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Barry777
User

Jul 19, 2010, 11:31 PM

Post #76 of 98 (4489 views)
Shortcut
Re: [heviarti] IT'S HERE!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well crap, it sounds like the capstan bearing has gone kaput which would definitely cause the Error 71 in any mode since the capstan also runs in REW and FF. And since the capstan limits how fast and uniformly the reels can turn in PLAY mode, it's probably also causing the errors 72 and 73. Sounds like it's not able to maintain proper speed because of the grinding and vibration. Hopefully your Slick 50 treatment will help. I guess there's not much point in trying to fix anything else until we know what's going on with the capstan. Bummer, man. Try moving the capstan shaft - if there's any play at all, I'd say stop there and look for another machine or possibly a replacement capstan bearing (they were separately replaceable on many machines). If it still feels nice and tight, you can proceed with trying to fix it.

Anyway, the mechanism isn't too hard to pull out. First, take out the screws that hold the top of the front panel on - you don't need to remove the panel, just pull the top out enough to remove the carriage. Then remove the carriage of course (4 screws not counting the steel bar that runs across the top of the machine), and don't be alarmed that the front left part sort of hangs up and finally comes out with a snap - it also goes back on that way. Just be careful not to pull it too hard without also moving it around a bit. Make careful and detailed notes about where all the connectors go, label them if necessary. They are color coded to their own mates, but not entirely foolproof. The mechanism is held in by three large brass screws - two in front and one just behind and to the right of the video head drum. Be very careful not to lose the thin brass spacers in the screw holes when you remove these screws.

When you can start pulling it up, you'll also see 4 or 5 connectors going to the front of it, then one on the bottom towards the rear. That's the one I always forget to reconnect! Once you have all the connectors disengaged, the whole thing just pulls right out and you can get to everything. There's not much underneath, since it's designed to be serviced mainly from the top. Hopefully you'll be able to take the capstan motor off and see what's going on. Thankfully, there's no danger of misaligning any gears, as long as you don't take anything off the mechanism except the capstan motor.

I haven't had to work on the capstan, so it's all you from here - good luck!
Barry Fone - VCR Repair hobbyist and professional FAA Repair Station Avionics Bench Technician (top level). TEST EQUIPMENT: (4) Sencore VC93 VCR Analyzers, (11) Tentel gauges, Sencore VA48 and (2) VA62 Video Analyzers, Sigma Electronics TSG-375 NTSC/SMPTE Video Generator, several VCR Alignment Tapes, plus countless Oscilloscopes, Frequency Counters, Wow and Flutter Meters, Distortion Analyzers, Vectorscope, 136-channel Logic Analyzer, Signature Analyzer . . . . VIDEO GEAR: (6) JVC BR-S822U's, (3) JVC BR-7000 series, (3) JVC BR-S500U, (2) JVC BR-S800U, JVC GR-800U and (2) GR-860U Editing Controllers, Sony FXE-100 Video Switcher/Effects Generator, (5) Time Code Generator/Readers, (1) Sony SLO-1800 (Beta), (2) Alesis ADAT-XT, (1) Sony DXC-1200 TV Camera, Pioneer VP-1000 Laser Disc Player plus many consumer grade Beta and VHS VCR's. Passionate electronics enthusiast since 1973...most anything except computers. Check out my collection at www.barrys8trackrepair.com/MyVideoGear.html

(This post was edited by Barry777 on Jul 20, 2010, 12:17 AM)

heviarti
User

Jul 20, 2010, 12:17 AM

Post #77 of 98 (4487 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Barry777] IT'S HERE!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well... can I drop the mechanism as a unit? I'd figure that as modular as this machine is you'd be able to run the mechanism so you could see the underside.

The upcoming expenses are killing me.. I just found a John Deere A for $250 and I need a tractor real bad, the neighbor just upgraded his riding mower, he's selling me his for $50 and I need one of them real bad.. and I found an MSD for $75 on craigslist... which I want for my '64 Caddy 'cuz it might fix the dying at low RPM issue. Plus I need to buy a sap to replace my ASP. I need something to hit angry drunks with. and I need some slick 50. (seriously, try this stuff... It looks like sniz, but it does great on bearings!) I wonder if the capstan bearings are a roller bearing that I can get from Hy-Capacity?

I'm still working on the user guide. It is upside down for some reason. I want to figure out how to display the hourmeters to get an idea of how much use this machine has seen.

Quig showed back up at 17:30. He seems OK. He's not going to like me later when I pour on the hydrogen peroxide. Also had to kill a snake yesterday... I feel kind of bad, I didn't have my pistol and I'd baled the poor feller. Couldn't do nothing for him. Had to use a hammer and a wrench. I wouldn't want to die that way even if I needed it... *sigh*

Wierd I'm not getting the capstan failures in the real-fast-play mode I seem to be stuck in. I wonder if it's not a high-speed dub mode of some kind?

Barry777
User

Jul 20, 2010, 12:37 AM

Post #78 of 98 (4486 views)
Shortcut

You could run the mechanism out of the unit if you had the zillions of extension cables to give it all the power and signals it needs. The 822 doesn't have any fast-dub features, but it might be stuck in preroll or fast search - the preroll function wouldn't require the critical timing that fast search would. But it's hard to tell with my limited knowledge of this machine. For now, I would take a good look at the capstan since that's decidedly a confirmed failure, and possibly the only one. I WOULDN'T try to run the capstan on anything but the machine-supplied power, as it requires a Pulse Width Modulated voltage to operate - straight DC might burn it up. You should be able to find out all you need by simply spinning it.

Yes, the instruction part of the manual is 90 degrees West - you'll have to rotate it or get a tube of Icy Hot for your neck :-) It does have a way to check the hours on the drum, capstan, and machine as a whole. My machines are all around the 5000-6000 area, which means they've had a lot of use and I have to conserve my own use of them - definitely not my main movie-watching machines.

Unfortunately, in the professional environment we tend to leave the equipment on all day whether it's being used or not. This way, it's always ready to go when a project comes up, and warmed up for optimum performance. Since the capstan is running most of the time the power is on, that probably explains the excessive bearing wear. Knowing you, you'll find a way to fix it using an old bicycle chain or something :-)

You might even get lucky and find a screw or something lodged between the capstan rotor and the chassis - that would be SUPER COOL. Sure wouldn't be the first time that's happened. Heck, you might even try operating the machine on its side and giving it a few sharp smacks, just in case there's something in there that could fall out and make your day.
Barry Fone - VCR Repair hobbyist and professional FAA Repair Station Avionics Bench Technician (top level). TEST EQUIPMENT: (4) Sencore VC93 VCR Analyzers, (11) Tentel gauges, Sencore VA48 and (2) VA62 Video Analyzers, Sigma Electronics TSG-375 NTSC/SMPTE Video Generator, several VCR Alignment Tapes, plus countless Oscilloscopes, Frequency Counters, Wow and Flutter Meters, Distortion Analyzers, Vectorscope, 136-channel Logic Analyzer, Signature Analyzer . . . . VIDEO GEAR: (6) JVC BR-S822U's, (3) JVC BR-7000 series, (3) JVC BR-S500U, (2) JVC BR-S800U, JVC GR-800U and (2) GR-860U Editing Controllers, Sony FXE-100 Video Switcher/Effects Generator, (5) Time Code Generator/Readers, (1) Sony SLO-1800 (Beta), (2) Alesis ADAT-XT, (1) Sony DXC-1200 TV Camera, Pioneer VP-1000 Laser Disc Player plus many consumer grade Beta and VHS VCR's. Passionate electronics enthusiast since 1973...most anything except computers. Check out my collection at www.barrys8trackrepair.com/MyVideoGear.html

(This post was edited by Barry777 on Jul 20, 2010, 12:41 AM)

heviarti
User

Jul 20, 2010, 2:16 AM

Post #79 of 98 (4482 views)
Shortcut

I found the hour meters on my own. Power: 2202, Drum: 0649, Cap: 0428, Reel 0434. Odd that it's so wonky with so few hours. Honestly the reel drive on the left don't feel utterly smooth either.

This evening I'll see if I can drop the mechanism. Maybe I can go in and get 'er working with what I've got on hand.

I'm good with the inverted manual.. It's not hard to turn my phone over.

I haven't quite figured out how to alter or at least scroll thru the menu settings. I see something that looks hosed in relation to enabled controls. Also, If I could get it to try for a still, I think I might be able to get a look at the video. I see a blip of video when switching to play mode before it fails. Hopefully the user manual says something about the settings... If there's a section on it I'll wade thru 'em tonight before I tear it apart... or maybe after I put 'er back together.

Barry777
User

Jul 20, 2010, 3:59 AM

Post #80 of 98 (4475 views)
Shortcut

Wow, that is some serious low hours - so maybe there IS something lodged somewhere in the capstan. Sure doesn't seem like the bearings would be bad with so few hours on it. The machine should operate properly with the factory reset. If you can get it in still mode, that will at least tell you if the drum and drum servo are okay; you'll get a decent picture. There are several switches on the boards that must be set per the instruction manual; you might also check those.

The factory reset won't fix any alignment issues; it only sets all the menu options for the average Joe who just wants to operate the darn thing - morons like you and me.

But no matter how you slice it, it definitely sounds like there's something going on with that capstan that might fix the entire machine when fixed. Sounds like you're doing fine using your own troubleshooting methods. If you can get sound from the normal output (even for a second or three), that will tell you something about the capstan also. If the sound is jerky or has a flutter, that's the capstan being silly. And if it's the slightest bit off speed or unsteady (especially the kind of unsteady resulting from vibration), it throws the entire machne wayyyy out of whack.

If you can determine the cause of the grinding/squealing noises, I think you'll be on your way towards a full recovery - even if a few little bugs remain. These machines usually need a lot of little repairs. I never did ask if you get anything on the monitor - black screen, flashing or whatever. That might provide more clues.

While you're under the mechanism, heck - replace that surface mount electrolytic on the drum stator board. That will eliminate another possible video problem, and it's old enough to cause trouble. Then you'll hopefully never have to pull the mechanism again if you get the capstan fixed. A standard electrolytic will work fine as long as you get the polarity correct.

I got my job almost finished, so maybe I can operate my 822 tomorrow evening and get a better idea of what each button is supposed to do - then I can direct you through a procedure for more educated testing.

heviarti
User

Jul 20, 2010, 5:21 AM

Post #81 of 98 (4474 views)
Shortcut

I got to thinking... maybe it's sat long enough there is a tiny bit of rust in the bearing. So, I pulled out the mechanism and dropped the capstan. Definitely wonky. So's one of the spool motors. I can feel a hop in the bearing that came out of the bottom of the casting. I can't offer you a repair quite as rustic as bicycle chain... but here's what I'm doing: I swapped the bottom bearing for the top bearing which is WAAAYYYYY smoother. It's a teensy li'l sealed bearing. I'm soaking it in kerosene over night. If that don't clean it up I'll see if I can order a new one through a bearing company. Hopefully having it in a magnet tray (so it doesn't get knocked over, nor the beer bottle cap fulla kero.) doesn't magnetize the bearing enough to cause problems.

I'm pretty sure I need to pull out that drive motor too. It'll need the same treatment or replacement, 'cause it makes some noise when you spin it. I don't know if it will disassemble as readily as the capstan.

I pulled the TC board and..... it started to not boot with an orange lit VITC light. Hopefully it works when I get it back together.

So far I have received the following output to the monitor: Three short blips of video, several errors, and the onboard menus. Going through the menus the onboard controls were only enabled for two functions (stop and play) So I set it to 'all enabled' and it didn't stick. I went in and set it again and then hit EVERY front panel button. It stuck. Don't know which button sets the option, but it was one of 'em. I also figured out the why of the mode I'm in: the mode it is set to go into on tape insert is (drumroll...............) SHORT-FF. I haven't figured out why the timecode is going in reverse for FF, but it is.

I guess I do ok for treating electronics like farm equipment, eh?

I guess you mean that 3.3 microfarrad 25 volt jobbie? It looks like a regular cap with it's legs surface mounted to me.. Looked a bit puffy to me, but that may be due to it's small size.

Barry777
User

Jul 20, 2010, 5:39 AM

Post #82 of 98 (4472 views)
Shortcut

I think you're gonna fix that puppy in no time. Not sure why some controls were disabled after the factory reset, but that's a small thing since you figured out how to fix it manually. Yep, that's the cap in question. I'd replace it just for fun; it should be a tiny cylinder with very straight sides. If it looks the slightest bit deformed, heck - change that sucker out. That processes your PG pulse, very important.

I'm not sure whether magnetism will affect those bearings, but the capstan servo should overcome their potential influence. Smooth idea about swapping out the bearings - had a strong feeling something was amiss under there. I think you've found the main problem, and the rest is just a matter of playing with it the way you're doing. That time code direction confuses the heck out of me too, as well as what happens when a tape finishes rewinding. I just eject it and stick it in the rewinder, screw it. I'll get intense about how to set things when it's time put my project together - which just might be a couple weeks away. Carry on, Major!

heviarti
User

Jul 20, 2010, 8:16 AM

Post #83 of 98 (4471 views)
Shortcut

I'd like to replace that cap, but I don't have anywhere to go here in town that would have a new, faultless cap. I think I covered the part where Dave (who owns the radio shack) is a moron. Might have to order one somehow.

We'll know in the morning or after I get done raking at about 13:00 whether the kero does the trick. I'll stick that bearing on the shaft and roll it thru, or run it with the air (not recommended by the pros, you can really blow one up that way... get 'er up about 15000 RPM and KA-POW!)

any words of wisdom on removing that plate that carries both the drive motors? I'm pretty sure the 72 I keep getting is for real. That side gives that kinda wobble-hum you get from spinning a wheel that don't quite fit tight on a shaft. little noisy.

The cap is arrow straight on the sides... it was the top that looked a li'l bit domed, but not overtly enough I'm sure of a failure.

There are really a couple of those settings I'd like to try against a known good setup

In other news, do you know of any kind of super-bad aviation type multi-connector that has places for four or six conductors? Maybe something twist to lock or the like? I need to come up with something so I can take the MSD off my pickup and reconnect it easily, reliably, and quickly for welding on the chassis.

Barry777
User

Jul 20, 2010, 1:29 PM

Post #84 of 98 (4468 views)
Shortcut

A quick way to check that cap is to unsolder one of its wires, then short them both together momentarily to discharge it. Put your ohmmeter on the cap wires, and there should be a reading for just a split second as it charges. It's easiest to see with an analog meter, but a digital meter works too. With a small capacity like 3.3 uF, the meter will go to infinity very fast but you'll get a short period of low resistance.

Looks like both reel motors come off together by removing that plate, the 4 outermost larger screws. The screw on the bottom is about an inch up, just below and to the right of the oblong hole. Don't remove the 2 screws that are between the 2 holes in the plate. According to the service manual, you have to set the sensor LED to the "assembly" position (looks like a tiny lever that should sit straight up and down inside the large hole) before removing the screws. The assembly position is achieved by rotating that LED to the right, but not all the way. Looks like there's a little tab in the chassis that tells you how far to go.

When reinstalling the plate, you have to make sure the brake lever is engaged with the solenoid's pin - which according to the manual is in that small oblong hole. After reinstalling the 4 screws, set the sensor LED back to the previous position. It says to check and adjust the FG duty pulse when replacing the assembly; hopefully that won't matter if you're just reinstalling it.

There are probably hundreds of aviation connectors, some with the twist lock feature, and which have up to 100 or more conductors. I think the main challenge is to find the females, as these are what goes in the aircraft. You'd probably be more successful finding a couple stereo phone plugs or something, or maybe D Subs with thumbscrews.

Time to get ready for work - have fun!

heviarti
User

Jul 20, 2010, 9:44 PM

Post #85 of 98 (4464 views)
Shortcut

If I can't figure out how to get the drive head off the drive motor I might be dead in the water unless I can find a new left motor. In retrospect, I shoulda put both bearings in the kero. did a heck of a job.

I want to go in to the motor and do that bearing too.. it's rather noisy.

Barry777
User

Jul 20, 2010, 11:44 PM

Post #86 of 98 (4462 views)
Shortcut

Just checked, a new reel motor is $272.92 from JVC. GEEZ! But this is the same company that charges $46.19 for a standard computer type power cord - not kidding. You got me on this one, as I've never messed around in that area on any of mine. But I'm guessing you'll get 'er going one way or another. That poor VCR must have sat unused in a moist environment for years to develop that kind of trouble. Maybe the studio went all digital shortly after buying it or something - who knows?

Here's the link to any remaining 822 parts from JVC:

http://www.jvcservice.com/...&MdlNbr=BR-S822U

Glad to hear Quig came home by the way. Has he tried helping you fix it? Mine sure do.

(This post was edited by Barry777 on Jul 20, 2010, 11:47 PM)

heviarti
User

Jul 21, 2010, 12:42 AM

Post #87 of 98 (4460 views)
Shortcut

I guess it's time to head to videokarma and see if there is an überhacker there that has an idea how to disassemble the drive lug on the motor... then I can give it the kero treatment, or order bearings. I really think I'll need some bearings in that capstan before long. I'll have to see if there is a tapered roller bearing that size. Then I can just take it down and pack it like a wheel bearing. No more failures. Always opt for the more mechanically sound option. Quig is just kinda laying around right now. He hates the Weladol treatments, but he's gettin' 'em. I may dump on the hydrogen peroxide too... he come back a li'l messy.

Barry777
User

Jul 21, 2010, 12:50 AM

Post #88 of 98 (4459 views)
Shortcut

There IS such a guy - I found him under the "Official I Still Use VHS Thread". His user name there is Ed in Tx, and he's the guy who suggested I replace that cap we've been talking about. Having been a warranty repairman for JVC, he probably just replaced the motor without trying to disassemble it, but you never know.

Barry777
User

Jul 21, 2010, 10:16 PM

Post #89 of 98 (4454 views)
Shortcut

I finally did some testing on my 822, and this represents normal operation. I was mistaken in thinking that the capstan turns at all times. Counter switch is set to CTL position, video output taken from Line 1 Out, NOT the video monitor out:

Power up: No capstan rotation, cassette size LED's flash
Tape in: Wraps around spinning drum, roller engages but does not turn, machine enters standby mode.
Standby On: Output shows either video input signal or information on tape in freeze fashion
Standby Off: No video output, roller disengages, head drum stops spinning
Play: Counter runs and can be reset to 00:00:00:00
Jog wheel (the inner wheel) operates from any other mode. Must press PLAY to escape jog mode.

(This post was edited by Barry777 on Jul 22, 2010, 1:08 AM)

heviarti
User

Jul 22, 2010, 3:38 AM

Post #90 of 98 (4447 views)
Shortcut

Well, I ain't gonna be doing much testing 'til I disassemble and repair or replace that motor. I regged on videokarma. No reply yet. Wave your muleta in front of your buddy.

I'm looking forward to payday... I can go get my tractor. 64 years old, 32 horse and ALL BUSINESS. I'll not be afraid to stack two 24 hour shifts on it like I am a modern machine.

Barry777
User

Jul 23, 2010, 1:38 PM

Post #91 of 98 (4441 views)
Shortcut

Well, got my bid in on an Aleses BRC, the last piece of gear I need for my super-duper A/V production setup. Then I'll need a bunch of RS-232 cables and blank tapes - and later, one more decent dedicated camera. Seems like I've put my life into this project, repairing 7 professional VCR's and 2 ADAT machines over the last year. Can't wait to hook it all up and drive myself nuts learning to operate the system.

Got a friend at work who is willing to let his band be my test subject in exchange for tapes of their performances. If I start getting really crazy, I'll get a 16 channel mixer and 8 identical stereo graphic EQ's for more precise audio mixing - but I'm sure I'll have my hands full with the basic setup.

Your experience with the capstan motor has prompted me to take apart all the capstans in my 822's, 500's and 800's and lubricate them before I set up the entire system. Gee man, thanks a lot! I don't know how you got those brass caps off; I just grabbed them gently with channel locks and twisted the flywheel - the spring under the cap slowly eases them off. I'm putting one drop of 3-in-1 on both upper and lower bearings. If you can recommend a better quality oil, I'm all ears.

(This post was edited by Barry777 on Jul 24, 2010, 4:21 PM)

Barry777
User

Jul 25, 2010, 3:40 PM

Post #92 of 98 (4432 views)
Shortcut

So, thus beginneth the process of going through all my machines for full cleaning, lube, check of alignment and replacement of all power supply caps. Already ordered the 100 uF, 35 volt caps to repair the rear panel audio board on the one machine that is not fully functional and it looks like I'm going to win the BRC. So that I don't have unnecessary complications with the overall setup, I'm going to really tip-top all these machines.

One S500 is decidedly a parts unit since it has no top or bottom cover and the front panel is horribly cracked. This is the one I used for practice to service the capstan before going into the good units. Just for fun, I decided to troubleshoot the occasional servo problem which cleared up when I applied a heat gun to a certain part of the servo board. Well, maybe I applied a bit too much heat, or Q43 was already funky - but that rascal shorted, taking D30 with it and producing a nice smoke column rising up from under the metel shield.

Both parts are discontinued, but I did find them on a JVC parts site. $13.95 for the transistor and $5.95 for the diode. Do I spend the money just to have a spare servo board which may still have the same problem, since I already have a good, entire spare unit? The way the machine is now, I won't balk at pulling a motor out of it. But if I fix it, then I'll be wrestling with the idea of cannibalizing a working unit when I need a part. Oh, decisions.....

Well, I decided to pull out the shorted transistor and diode, and the rest of the machine still works fine - so I guess nothing else blew. You know I can't resist having another spare servo board, and I have to order a bunch of caps anyway. Geez...

But anyway, here's another example of how the error codes can be misleading, as I get error code 008-01 (supply tension failure) as well as the expected 73 (takeup motor failure). Since there's now nothing to drive the takeup motor (missing that transistor), there should be a 73. And since there's nothing pulling the tape in FF mode to put any tension on the tension arm, that explains the 008-01 code.

Well, $66.11 from Mouser to fully recap the power supplies in all 7 machines, counting caps I already have in stock which is most everything 1000 uF and under. This will also stock up my empty 220 uF drawer and leave me several spares of sporadic values. Could have gone a lot cheaper, but ordered in multiples of 10 to make the math easier. So, figure about $100 to also replace that transistor and diode on my spare servo board, then what - about 20 loading belts to take care of all 7 machines and have some spares for other units. Then finally, a bunch of RS-232 cables to make everything talk to each other. Sure is cool to be this close to finishing the setup - YES! Also glad to have some new customers writing in for repairs, or my forehead would surely carry the proud indentations of that skillet.

(This post was edited by Barry777 on Jul 26, 2010, 12:06 AM)

Barry777
User

Jul 31, 2010, 6:36 PM

Post #93 of 98 (4421 views)
Shortcut

Well, after servicing the capstan on one of the 822's, I put the mechanism back in. Everything works fine, except the FF function actually slows down quite a bit when it's supposed to start flying. It starts off kinda slow, then breaks loose after a few seconds (or is supposed to). After pulling the mechanism again like 6 or 7 times making sure the brakes weren't hanging up and I didn't forget anything, I FINALLY tracked down the problem.

On these pro machines, there are so many sensors and adjustments - and a lot of them aren't mentioned in the service manual so you have to rely on general knowledge and experience. The tape tension is electronically monitored even during FF, so that the machine can start slowing down when it senses the tiny difference in tension as the supply reel gets more empty, which I'm assuming it also does as it nears a preset edit point. I gave the tension arm just a little push, and it took off like a 747. Pushed a tiny bit harder, and it slowed down again. Picky picky! So, time to refer once again to the service manual and do a tension sensor adjustment - a fairly involved process on this machine, requiring you to manually turn the mode motor to position the tension arm a certain way, then adjusting for a specific voltage at that point. And on these machines, it is VERY critical.

I knew something was weird when I put my back tension torque meter tape in some time back, and the machine started doing these violent actions, swinging the tension arm back and forth like it was warding off the Taliban. And this is the exact JVC torque tape specified in the manual. Man, these pro machines are something else. By the way, I won the Alesis BRC and should have it in a week or two. Let's hope I haven't destroyed all my machines by then :-) I'll either become an expert or give up altogether.

Well, that took all of 10 minutes, a simple tension bias adjustment. Popped in the torque tape, and the back tension was over 70 grams. Adjusted it for the spec of 54 grams, the takeup reel dropped to the EXACT spec of 170 grams, and all is beautiful again. Heviarti, you've proven me wrong a few hundred times with your mechanical expertise, but I'm thinking you'll need a either a Tentel gauge or a torque meter - these monsters are too critical to try and adjust by feel. I had no idea that the wrong tension could make it act like this, but I'm learning!

While I was inside the reel motor assembly, I noticed that the brake pads are pretty worn. Thankfully, I have lot of replacement idler felts I can probably use. This makes 5 or 6 separate problems I had to fix, and that's not counting the 40+ jumpers I had to install on the CPU board to fix all the broken traces caused by moronic eBay seller packing. GEEZ!

(This post was edited by Barry777 on Jul 31, 2010, 7:18 PM)

Barry777
User

Aug 1, 2010, 4:38 AM

Post #94 of 98 (4417 views)
Shortcut

Well, the massive tuneup project is on hold until I get back to work and get some decent grease for plastic. They use this stuff called Dow Corning High Vacuum grease which is kind of a cloudy-clear thick gel, and is used where a brass spring rubs against a plastic detent wheel. We get a lot of units that we've already fixed other problems on, so I can see that this lubricant stays greasy and doesn't harm anything. After the lithium grease SNAFU, I'm not going with anything I haven't seen perform over time anymore. $16 for a 6 ounce tube, but well worth it.

Also took the wife to the craft store (excellent subterfuge!) so I could pick up a few different thicknesses of leather to make new brake pads for all the machines. At first I thought of chamois, but I'm sure leather will hold up better over the years, and might even be what JVC originally used. These machines are becoming a labor of love, rather than a frantic effort to get everything done since they're already working fine. Now that everything is fixed, I can take my sweet time doing preventive maintenance and fine-tuning. A luxury I don't seem to have at work anymore. My favorite new axiom there is "I don't know how they work, I just fix 'em".

Finally broke down and purchased the full service manual download for the BR-S500 and 800, as the one I had was missing a few parts. The "new" one is about 40% thicker, so it was missing more than I thought. Also going to get an original copy just because I'm obsessive that way. Looks like I have the older versions of these VCR's, with a few things not addressed in the manuals - but should be enough to do everything I need to do. Thankfully, the alignment procedures and specs aren't affected by the different versions of VCR.

(This post was edited by Barry777 on Aug 1, 2010, 4:44 AM)

Barry777
User

Aug 6, 2010, 12:22 PM

Post #95 of 98 (4408 views)
Shortcut

Ahhhh yes, got the Alesis BRC yesterday. Beautiful shape, except the red plastic insert for the Record button was neatly popped out, probably to prevent accidental recording. Got the machine pretty cheap because of this, and can get the insert for $2. At long last, I finally have every piece of gear I need to put together my super cool A/V production studio - WHEEEEEEEE !

Made new brake pads for the 822 I'm currently working on. Put 'er all back together, and the replacement pads are just a bit too thick and rubbing against the reel motors. Machine works, but the back tension varies by about 5 grams and the pause and slow search are a bit noisy. As the tape nears the end, the tension difference makes a noise burst in the video as the supply reel suddenly speeds up after hanging up slightly on the pad. So I took 'er apart again and installed the thinner leather with silicone (my favorite adhesive). This time I jammed a temporary shim to shape the new pads to the reel motor flywheel, and I'll test it again after work tonight. I probably should have used epoxy, as silicone tends to creep a little - but what the heck.

The other 6 machines will be much faster on the preventive maintenance, as I don't have to remove the disgusting sticky mess from the lithium grease. Just apply a little fresh grease here and there, replace the brake pads, oil the capstan bearings and we're done. Then finally, extensive testing on all the machines, check the tension and electrical alignment, interchangability, etc. Then hook up one or two machines with the ADATs and BRC for a preliminary whole-system test.

Since I have a spare mechanism, I might try popping the caps off the reel motors just to see if it can be done - nothing is harmed if i screw it up. That way, I might be able to help heviarti with his reel motor problem. Where the heck is he anyway - hope he didn't get eaten by a thresher or something.

Barry777
User

Aug 7, 2010, 8:34 PM

Post #96 of 98 (4406 views)
Shortcut

FINALLY finished working on the lower mechanism, and found it best to simply remove the brake pads. Since the reels are braked through electronic control anyway, the mechanical brakes aren't needed and only cause problems. Only one original brake is available at about $27, no thanks. Sure learned a lot about this mechanism after pulling it several times.

Lots of software control on this machine, obviously. This also makes it impossible to make many adjustments "by feel" due to the critical nature and exactling demands of the many functions. A torque meter tape (or at least a Tentelometer) is absolutely essential, and most adjustments are performed in one "service" mode or another. Change a switch, adjust a pot, turn off power to save the new adjustment. Set another switch, make another adjustment using the SAME control, than turn off power again to save THAT adjustment.

Okay, on to the next machine!~

Barry777
User

Aug 9, 2010, 12:35 PM

Post #97 of 98 (4401 views)
Shortcut

Ahhhhhh, all JVC pro machines and ADAT's are fully serviced and ready for heavy action. After working on 7 machines this weekend, I'll be glad to go to work and play with something else. I left the head cleaning wheel disconnected on all the machines, never have trusted them not to break off a head. Now I just need several RS-232 cables to hook everything together and start pulling my hair out trying to figure out the advanced editing functions.

Since all these machines use the same mechanism, I think I can now be considered a half-assed expert on the JVC BR-S822U, S500U and S800U machines. I'm very curious about the tension and reel servo circuitry and functions, really want to know exactly how they operate in there. Looks like I'll be studying schematics, under the guise of watching TV with the wife in the living room.

A rundown on the entire A/V system at this time:

(3) JVC BR-S822U
(2) JVC BR-S800U
(2) JVC BR-S500
(2) JVC BR-7000 series
(1) JVC GR-870 Editing Controller
(1) JVC GR-800 Editing Contoller
(1) JVC JX-SV55 Video Processor
(4) Time Code Generator/Readers (external) if needed
(2) Alesis ADAT XT - 8 track digital audio recorders
(1) Alesis BRC - Master ADAT controller and time code translater between VCR's and ADAT's

Barry777
User

Aug 17, 2010, 2:41 AM

Post #98 of 98 (4397 views)
Shortcut

Ahhhhh yes! Did some preliminary testing on the process of syncing the VCR to the ADAT machines using the BRC. After two entire days of "happy frustration" and much reading and research, I finally got the team working together fairly well. Turns out that using SMPTE time code is not really an exact science, and there are so many different ways you can do it. That is, if you can do it at all!

After several hours of failure, I decided to visit some pro audio forums, at which time I found out that very few people are able to sync a BRC to external time code. And indeed, I couldn't do it using 2 different Telcom Time Code Generators. Of course, I had no idea what I was doing yet. Finally, I recorded a black burst video signal on a tape along with 29.97 drop frame time code, and BINGO! I finally got that sucker to sync 16 track digital audio with the VCR - at least in playback mode.

So now I know the BRC is working, and that it can be done. Time to take a rest and try something more elaborate tomorrow or the next day. Geez, I had just about given up! Where the heck is heviarti anyway?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.19 s on (CGI/1.1)