Changing CRT Coolant

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

rich32822
New User

Jul 11, 2005, 6:28 PM

Post #1 of 174 (99714 views)
Shortcut
Changing CRT Coolant Can't Post

I have been reading this forum for a few days. I have a Magnavox 54" (6P5450W) Projection Television. The green and possibly the blue CRT Coolant is contaminated. I bought the TV to experiment with and opened up the seal that contains the coolant for the green gun already, so I know that I can get to the coolant. Do you NEED to remove the gun in order to replace the coolant? If so, why? Is there any reason I shouldn't attempt this myself having already found the coolant? I know how to converge projectors - although it's been a few years. Are there any online sites that can guide me through this? Or is it as simple as removing the old coolant and replacing it with new? I've found coolant for all three guns available online for under $50. A local shop i asking around $400 to do the job. Thanks for any suggestions. Rich

crawfishy
New User

Aug 30, 2005, 4:34 AM

Post #2 of 174 (99512 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rich32822] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

Well your posting is over a month old and no one has answered... Hopefully you come back and get this reply if you haven't already ventured into changing the fluid already. I changed my coolant a few weeks ago and had never done it before. I did a lot of reading on this site first and did everything really slow. Made an incredible difference in the picture and it was not difficult at all. If you want some help I would be happy to assist.

rich32822
New User

Aug 30, 2005, 8:33 PM

Post #3 of 174 (99499 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crawfishy] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

Definitely! Any help would be appreciated. Can you drop me an Email? rich32822@hotmail.com. Thanks for getting back to me.

jongb
New User

Sep 28, 2005, 2:28 AM

Post #4 of 174 (99411 views)
Shortcut

Good day Sir! I've read your post regarding your success in changing the coolant of your projection TV. I have Magnavox PTV510-AH01, Model PR2046-P103, having blurry pictures and white halo on any bright object showing on the screen. Just want to ask if it's ok if i mix my own coolant using 70% ethylene glycol and 30% glycerin? Any comment on this is highly appreciated and procedure in changing the coolant will be a lot of help. thanks...

crawfishy
New User

Sep 29, 2005, 4:27 AM

Post #5 of 174 (99399 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jongb] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know about mixing your own coolant. It may work but I don't know the specific contents of the fluid. It is not very expensive to buy. Go to www.mcminone.com and look up part # 20-2041 You will likely need two bottles.

I was a bit unhappy with how difficult it was to find information about how to change projection TV coolant so I have written a document on how to do it so I can easily help others understand the process. I have attached that document in PDF format. I hope this helps.
Attachments: TV Coolant.pdf (14.8 KB)

jongb
New User

Sep 30, 2005, 3:49 AM

Post #6 of 174 (99381 views)
Shortcut

Thank you so much for the pdf attachment you've included in your reply. It will be a lot of help for me to change the coolant of my tv myself.

As for the coolant, I think I have to settle in mixing my own. I am located here in Manila, Philippines and it will be hard for me to get such from MCMone. Fortunately, I was able to download some documentation of projection tube coolant from MG Chemichals website. Let me share it with you. Thanks a lot...
Attachments: 803-liquid.pdf (109 KB)

mpj220
New User

Oct 4, 2005, 5:21 PM

Post #7 of 174 (99346 views)
Shortcut

I just ordered the cooling fluid from MCM - I have a question that maybe one of you may know.

With my TV off, it appears that the fluid in the green may be tinted green. Will there be a difference if I replace it with the clear fluid?

Thanks,
Mark

Larry E
User

Oct 5, 2005, 9:59 PM

Post #8 of 174 (99330 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mpj220] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi this message is for all of you, the fluid is supposed to be clear, normally only the green and blue tubes will need to be changed, Philips built tv`s are notorious for having this problem,they have been doing this (clouding the fluid) since they built their first big screen, other manufacturers don`t have this problem normally.

the reason your local technician charges $400 to do this job is because he/she knows how to do it properly, so far nobody has listed how to do it properly, also be aware this solution is VERY caustic to your pc boards, if you spill it on the inside of your set you WILL have problems down the road that will cost you, I`ve been a tv tech for almost 30 years and I do NOT advise the average layperson to perform this change, yes some of you may accomplish it but the poor picture will come back in a year or less if it`s not done right, Larry E

mpj220
New User

Oct 5, 2005, 11:50 PM

Post #9 of 174 (99328 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Larry E] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

Larry,

Thanks for the info.

What do you know - mine is a Magnovox - isn't that made by Phillips?

I did drain all the fluids today - you are correct on the ones that would be cloudy. Both blue and green were horrible. Blues was so bad that there was crud growing on the lens and crt (couldn't even make out a picture). Red looked fine but, when in Rome.......

Replacing the fluid is a bit time consuming. I have a background in electronics repair (not tv though) so, I wasn't to afraid of giving it a try. Besides, the TV was a freebie from a friend that was told it was junk.

As it stands now, the crt's are clean, all lenses are clean. I am just waiting on the fluid ordered through mcm.

I found that if you do each one individually, it makes spillage more conrollable. I removed all the screws on holding the tray that the tubes are mounted to. I also removed the screws for the two outer tubes. From there, I just used some small blocks in a creative manner to make sure each tube was level before taking the lense off. From there, the turkey baster worked well - as long as wife doesn't find out.

I'm hoping to get a few more years out of this one as I have a 50in Hitachi that went on the fritz with a strange problem - funny thing is that I see a post here of someone having same problem - poor picture but, pip or freeze frame (both small boxes) are fine.

Will let you know how the fluid change works.

Take care,
Mark

crawfishy
New User

Oct 7, 2005, 3:57 AM

Post #10 of 174 (99306 views)
Shortcut

Well, I'm not mad but I am a bit insulted by Larry E's posting. There are MANY people that are good at fixing things and are not afraid to dig into a project. With the help of others on this site they can do the job well if they just take it slowly and pay attention.

He is right about the red not getting yucky because the red tube does not get nearly as hot as the other two. However, if you are going to dig this far into the TV and do the blue and green, you might as well do the red also and just have all good fresh fluid in all three.

Also, I have read countless postings on this site and other sites and this seems to be a typical problem for projection TV's and not just one manufacturer.

Lastly, I posted a PDF file in an earlier post that clearly outlines the entire procedure from start to finish. If anyone wants to change the fluid, I would suggest you read this PDF a few times then open up your TV and get familiar with the parts that are mentioned in the document. Your set may be a bit different but the general idea is always the same. Once you understand where everything is in your set you can use my documentation as a basic guideline and make minor changes as needed if your TV is a bit different.

I will help anyone that asks for help on changing the fluid. It is just not that difficult and it will make an amazing difference in the picture quality.

mpj220
New User

Oct 8, 2005, 1:04 PM

Post #11 of 174 (99283 views)
Shortcut

I got the TV done last night.

Picture is great!!

Thanks to all for the tips and the link to MCM.

kbabin1
New User

Oct 12, 2005, 5:05 AM

Post #12 of 174 (99235 views)
Shortcut

Hey Crawfishy,
I am a displaced Cajun from South Louisiana currently living in NE Texas. Being unemployed at the moment, I have plenty of time to fiddle with TVs.

My Blue CRT dripped on the board and shorted something. I am paying a guy $50 to test the board and insolate all of the shorts. From there, I may have to order parts and do the repairs myself. His fee is $250 + parts. I paid $500 for this set used 3 years ago (Samsung 53" rear projection , 2001 or 2002, I forget - PCJ533RF).

My blue CRT was chocked full of crud, the Red and Green looked good, but I didn't drain the fluid to check.

Hopefully I blew some cheap transistors, resistors or something small. I may have to get a book on soldering. Do ya'll think I can replace these small things myself? I disassembled the TV, removed the board, took digital pictures before and after. So far I have done everything myself. Maybe I should just pay the $250, but if replacing transistors or resistors is easy, I may do that.

Thanks!
Attachments: DSCN2088.JPG (187 KB)

kbabin1
New User

Oct 12, 2005, 5:13 AM

Post #13 of 174 (99233 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kbabin1] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

Here is a pic of the CRTs before, notice the yellow crud in the blue CRT (pic 1),...you can see all 3 together (pic 2) and then the nice clean CRTs (pic 3).

(This post was edited by kbabin1 on Oct 12, 2005, 5:19 AM)
Attachments: blue_gun.jpg (82.0 KB)
  3CRTs.jpg (75.9 KB)
  3_clean_crts.jpg (94.5 KB)

edjames
New User

Oct 14, 2005, 4:35 PM

Post #14 of 174 (99196 views)
Shortcut

thanks to all for the great info and pic's!

I am going to do my 8+ year old Phillips- willpost update when done.

jongb
New User

Oct 21, 2005, 11:03 PM

Post #15 of 174 (99135 views)
Shortcut
Re: [edjames] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there!

This is for all of you... I just want to share some pictures of the CRT coolant change process that I've done on a 1993 Philips/Magnavox projection TV model PR2046-P103.

Thanks...
Attachments: Before1.jpg (126 KB)
  Before2.jpg (117 KB)
  3_CRT.jpg (148 KB)
  Proj_assy.jpg (117 KB)
  old_cool.jpg (108 KB)
  crt_curd.jpg (106 KB)
  new_cool.jpg (106 KB)
  clean_CRT.jpg (112 KB)
  CRT_test.jpg (93.5 KB)
  Video_after.jpg (115 KB)

hydro777
New User

Nov 10, 2005, 6:58 AM

Post #16 of 174 (99017 views)
Shortcut

Wow I sure wish I would have read all this before I screwed up my magnavox! Now Im really bummed. But in the end it will only cause me to buy a new TV which is probably the best thing I can do!

hydro777
New User

Nov 11, 2005, 7:58 PM

Post #17 of 174 (99004 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hydro777] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah I sure wish I would have seen this before I trashed one of my boards. Anyone know where I can get magnavox PTV-730 AH01 parts? Thanks and a big thumbs up on this thread!

esemilio
New User

Nov 28, 2005, 9:12 PM

Post #18 of 174 (98842 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hydro777] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

A big thanks to all who posed on this thread! I have a 46", 1988 LXI rear projection TV that had slowly deteriorated in sharpness and brightness. Blue was just a blob. I have cleaned the lens, coolant containers, ad am waiting for the new coolant to arrive. (Used a 50ml plastic syringe with a 1/8" tyon extension to remove old coolant - worked great!)

crawfishy
New User

Dec 5, 2005, 6:13 PM

Post #19 of 174 (98728 views)
Shortcut

kbabin1... Well, I don't know about replacing parts on the board... This would depend upon your soldering abilities, your ability to determine what parts are bad and your ability to find the appropriate replacement parts.

As for replacing bad fluid once the circuits are fixed... If the fluid is not clear then it will be a problem so go ahead and replace it.

bsturkie
New User

Dec 6, 2005, 4:18 AM

Post #20 of 174 (98704 views)
Shortcut

Hey guys. I'm glad I found this site. I have a 8-10 year old Phillips 48 inch that was given to me. It started having some pink discoloration at the bottom of the screen. Probably the reason I got it! So I cracked the case to poke abit to try to figure it out. I removed the green lens to find some type of mold or spider web in the fluid. This is after I pulled the lens off of the housing and fluid went everywhere (including some on the system board! I work with HP so I have a back ground in electronics. I once had to clean a 32 ounces of coffee off of a HP proliant 380 G3 main board.) So after 1/2 bottle of alcohol and about 1,000 paper towels all was well again. 100% Isopropyl alcohol is inert and mixes with the contamination then evaporates. I'm now waiting on 2 bottles of coolant thanks to Crawfishys post because the red and blue are not much better. I'll take some before and after pics and postem here!! Thanks fellas!

Brandon

polar bear
New User

Dec 13, 2005, 10:13 PM

Post #21 of 174 (98604 views)
Shortcut

Thanks so much for posting the PDF file with the procedure for cleaning the CRT, lenses and replacing the CRT fluid. I was a little timid about jumping into this project at first but with all of the great info and feedback found on this page I am ready to get started....ordered the fluid from MCM this afternoon. Thanks again for all of the great info and will post my results after completing a Magnavox FP5230W105

dtrayn70
New User

Dec 22, 2005, 7:19 PM

Post #22 of 174 (98466 views)
Shortcut

I hope I didn't mess up ,y mainboard last night when coolant spilled on to it. I thought I'd clean the lenses because the blue is almost opaque and you can barely see throgh the green. Red is very clear. I thought I could clean out the dust. As I unscrewed the holding screws a liquid begain to spill out. I cleaned it up. but I had no isea that it was in there. But today I found this site. Thank goodness.

Mine is a 9 year old
Magnavox 6p54... There is a lot of clouding on the screen. It looks like my collant needs to be changed too. I printed out the instructions, but I need to know how much collant to buy if I change both the blue and green.

You guys are a godsend.

laphamj
New User

Dec 23, 2005, 9:46 PM

Post #23 of 174 (98445 views)
Shortcut

How do I tell if my blue crt needs new coolant? Do I look at the lens when the tv is off or on? I bought a 2000 Samsung 53" rear projection used and the guy told me that the blue crt had bacteria growing in it and had a yellow haze but he had it cleaned. Well the blue is "blooming". It won't focus at all. Would bad or dirty coolant cause that? Or do I need to get a new crt? Please help!! I just bought it last week and haven't been able to enjoy yet.

crawfishy
New User

Dec 26, 2005, 7:32 PM

Post #24 of 174 (98344 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dtrayn70] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

dtrayn70... Hope you cleaned the fluid up real good - that stuff is very corrosive. I don't know the best thing to use but I believe alcohol is good (rubbing alcohol from the drug store with the highest alcohol content you can get.)
I changed the fluid in all three CRTs and it took around 26 ounces. One bottle from mcminonecom part # 20-2041 is 24 oz. So I would recommend buying two bottles to do all three... but one bottle should be fine for doing just the two.

crawfishy
New User

Dec 26, 2005, 7:41 PM

Post #25 of 174 (98344 views)
Shortcut
Re: [laphamj] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

laphamj... Both the blue and green are prone to clouding and bacteria. To answer your question, you should look at the CRT's with the TV off. The fluid is CLEAR... not cloudy and not even slightly cloudy... Absolutely clear. Look at the red because it is probably just fine... you should notice that it is clear with nothing fogging it up and no crud floating in the fluid. The other two should look that nice too. If this "guy" did not do a good job at cleaning the inside of the CRT then the bacteria will come right back. Focus problems can be related to other components but if the CRT fluid is foggy then I would start there. If you still have a focus problem after that, then you can do some more research but you need clean fluid first so you have a good starting point for other adjustments.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.20 s on (CGI/1.1)