Changing CRT Coolant

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

cllemson0130
New User

Mar 6, 2010, 6:55 AM

Post #151 of 174 (29168 views)
Shortcut
Re:Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi everyone this site was very helpful on changing the fluid in my Samsung P4741W 47". Everything went smoothly, but now my picture is not perfect I have some ghost and the picture is out of focus except for the center. It's like some kind of truly tunnel vision. If someone could help me out here. Matt

Gus67
User

Mar 10, 2010, 1:50 AM

Post #152 of 174 (29141 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cllemson0130] Re:Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

Clem,

It looks like you are looking thru a window on a ship.
Maybe it would be okay if you just watch pirate movies on it..or the love boat.

1st
New User

Apr 5, 2010, 3:40 AM

Post #153 of 174 (29041 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kuhurdler] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

Jim, Where do you get the coolant for $7 a bottle? Thanks, Chris

jts1957
Veteran

Apr 5, 2010, 8:09 AM

Post #154 of 174 (29039 views)
Shortcut
Re: [1st] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

What size bottle? And how many moons ago?Smile

MCM Electronics has 16oz bottle currently going for $9.49 (plus S&H)Cool

-------------------------

1st
New User

Apr 5, 2010, 10:19 AM

Post #155 of 174 (29036 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, That was in response to Jim Roddles post from March 5th.......

"<br> <br>I'm not sure why you would want to chance it with mineral oil. The coolant is only $7 per bottle. <br>

-Jim Riddle
http://riddledtv.com/repair/

(This post was edited by kuhurdler on Mar 5, 2010, 11:31 AM)"

jts1957
Veteran

Apr 5, 2010, 4:44 PM

Post #156 of 174 (29035 views)
Shortcut
Re: [1st] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

I "knew" that.
I just was trying to make you aware of facts not stated.Smile

JohnRocks
User

May 3, 2010, 6:21 AM

Post #157 of 174 (28949 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rich32822] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

I think, there is no need to remove your gum because coolant is another matter to replace. For more you can visit www.mcminone.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Rackmount LCD Monitor
USB KVM

jts1957
Veteran

May 3, 2010, 8:06 AM

Post #158 of 174 (28945 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JohnRocks] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

You realize you're responding to comment he made in summer 2005?Angelic

stillsmokin711
New User

May 23, 2010, 10:26 PM

Post #159 of 174 (28881 views)
Shortcut

Just a couple of hints/tips......I am a thrifty kinda guy so I do as many repairs as I can and do it cheaply. I found a post that suggested using baby oil for CRT coolant.....since I could just run to the store and buy it cheaply I tried it......seems to be just fine and it has been 8 months now....also, I found it very difficult to remove the entire gun, not to mention a pain to re-align them so I found that if you drain a little fluid as it sits, (there should be enough room to fit a large bowl under the guns) then you can cap it and undo the entire rail holding the three guns and level it for the color gun you are changing and remove the lens and suck the rest of the bad fluid out, clean and be ready to refill. 14 oz's and reassemble. The seal on my blue was stretched and did not fit back on correctly so I made a new seal. Baby oil doesn't conduct so it you spill a little....no worries, just wipe it up and enjoy a baby smell.....since I unbolted the rail housing all 3 guns they were still in alignment with each other so very minimal convergence. Hope this helps someone but do be prepared to spend 3 hrs doing this!!

Shown
User

Jul 6, 2010, 8:58 AM

Post #160 of 174 (28750 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stillsmokin711] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

You are absolutely right "stillsmokin"

True blood season 3 download
Watch Entourage season 7

speedracer0626
New User

Oct 26, 2010, 3:31 AM

Post #161 of 174 (28436 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Shown] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello well I did a ton of searching and figured I would give it a go. I have a Magnavox Model # FP4630 W102 Chassis # PTV620-AH01. I bought the fluid to do it and some denatured alcohol. The denatured alcohol is the green version and I found it at Lowes. The fluid I bought off some guy on E-bay. Full price list will be posted at the bottom of my post. The only question I have is how do I discharge the anode lead? I would really like to clarify with whomever gives this a shot the proper way to do this. I should break the bond between the suction cup and the tube itself and discharge to the ground spade terminal on the side of the tube? Replace the old silicone with new silicone?

speedracer0626
New User

Oct 26, 2010, 4:02 AM

Post #162 of 174 (28433 views)
Shortcut
Re: [speedracer0626] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

Heres the update. You do not have to disrupt the silicone bond. You pull the anode lead out from the flyback and ground it to the ground spade terminal. On mine it was the lead with two ears that you turn 1/4 turn and pull. I then used my jumper lead to ground out and no voltage so onward we go.
Price list: MG Chemicals Tube coolant. 4 Bottles $30
Denatured Alcohol $9.00
I got the fluid from a guy on Ebay who had four bottles and sold them to me for $7.50 with free shipping.
The last post will include all pics.

ManyaCarb
New User

Oct 29, 2010, 3:33 AM

Post #163 of 174 (28410 views)
Shortcut

Hi SpeedRacer and everyone in this forum
I see you got the way on how to disconnect the high voltage wire from the flyback. Nothing wrong with that as long as the TV is disconnected from the AC mains. Don't do it from the CRT, on normal TVs or monitors you can, but these CRT's have that wire sealed to avoid moisture and humidity to get inside and then "multicolor arcs in the dark" could show up ;)
Let us know how you coolant change is going on. I am in the middle of that project right now with a 46" Magnavox set that I got for free. It had one of the rubber diaphragms worn and the fluid dropped on the board....so, shortcircuit and both horizontal and high voltage transistors fried. Changed them with a couple of BU508 and set is back alive again. Just replaced the diaphragm with a new one and need to change the coolant during the weekend.
I will check again on the next few days.
Have a good night
Al

speedracer0626
New User

Oct 29, 2010, 4:02 AM

Post #164 of 174 (28409 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ManyaCarb] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

Well got it all done and will be posting pics of it all soon. I had one snafu, I got carried away with cleaning the blue fish eye and put some scratches in it. I think all is fine but my blue will not line up, so time to get back in it. The hardest part will be finding a fish eye to replace the old one with. I then have to see if that fixes my issue and if not I will have to align the tabs.

ManyaCarb
New User

Oct 30, 2010, 3:11 AM

Post #165 of 174 (28403 views)
Shortcut

Sad to hear that you got those scratches on the blue fisheye. I don't know if they are still available but give it a try on ebay. I got the diaphragms at Nells Electronics in St. Louis Missouri. They have a lot of stuff for Rear Projection TV. But in my opinion if the scratches are not that big I think that wouldn't be a serious problem...maybe the very experienced technicians on this forum can give you more info
I just installed the blue cannon with new coolant back in place but I have some "ghosts" on the screen due to some misalignment. I have read on some older posts about that so I will go back again before asking for help so I can understand throughly the whole process.
Waiting for your pics :) good luck
Al

hobodewey
New User

Dec 23, 2010, 6:39 AM

Post #166 of 174 (28224 views)
Shortcut

Try this site for step by step instructions for coolant replacement. http://www.riddledtv.com/journal/CRTCoolant/
By the way, I changed the coolant in my 54 inch Magnavox and used mineral oil from the drug store in place of the coolant. Much cheaper and my TV is still running after several years of hard use.

In Reply To
I have been reading this forum for a few days. I have a Magnavox 54" (6P5450W) Projection Television. The green and possibly the blue CRT Coolant is contaminated. I bought the TV to experiment with and opened up the seal that contains the coolant for the green gun already, so I know that I can get to the coolant. Do you NEED to remove the gun in order to replace the coolant? If so, why? Is there any reason I shouldn't attempt this myself having already found the coolant? I know how to converge projectors - although it's been a few years. Are there any online sites that can guide me through this? Or is it as simple as removing the old coolant and replacing it with new? I've found coolant for all three guns available online for under $50. A local shop i asking around $400 to do the job. Thanks for any suggestions. Rich

hobodewey
New User

Dec 23, 2010, 6:48 AM

Post #167 of 174 (28224 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gus67] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

I replaced my coolant in my 54 inch Magnavox several years ago using mineral oil. Still works fine. Fungus does not grow in mineral oil like it does in the original fluid. My TV is now over 16 years old and still humming along. I was going to replace it with a new flat screen until I found directions for replacing the coolant. Saved me a bunch on a new tv. Check out this site for coolant replacement directions. http://www.riddledtv.com/journal/CRTCoolant/

In Reply To
Bird,
Keep us posted on that mineral oil substitution...I believe it would work.Although, I doubt it will last for long.They do use mineral oil in compasses.However,Compasses do not get above room temerature.I believe with the heat and the rubber gaskets, you will eventualy have some leaking.I think the mineral oil will attack the rubber and you will end up with a sloppy mess inside that TV.

I could be wrong, but I am curious ofthe long term effect on the gasket and plastic material combined with the heat of the CRT's.

I hope for your sake it works for the long term.

Good luck with it.

mccullek
New User

Mar 2, 2011, 4:16 AM

Post #168 of 174 (27949 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hobodewey] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

Ok, there is a very easy way to do this. I have a phillips/magnavox PTV836 model projection set, and everything was working as always except for the fuzzy glowing picture that was now almost unwatchable. I was going to roll it out onto the street for the trash man, when I decided to check on line to see if it wasn't something minor, when I learned about the oil in the CRTs.

I opened my set from the front (there are some easy directions and pictures already posted earlier in this thread that show you exactly how to do this). Once I got the screen off, the three CRTs were sitting right there within easy reach. I did not have to do anything to the wiring, other than unplug the TV from the AC. By coming in from the front, there is no wiring at all and no chance of accidentally touching something that could give you a jolt. I simply removed 8 screws on each CRT. Four of the screws hold the CRT to the chasis, and once you remove them, you can then level up the CRT so that the gun is pointing straight up. You need to do this so that the oil does not run out when you remove the four screws that hold the outer lens in place. I used a small, but thick phone book and slid it underneath one side of the CRT until it was sitting level. Do not touch any other screws on your CRT except for these four or you may mess up your convergence.

Once I had the CRT leveled up and safely steadied with the phone book, I then removed the four screws that hold on the outer lens. Be careful here, because once those four come out, there is nothing holding the small colored concave lens and gasket in place (the coolant is under this concave lens). I pried on the lens edge gently and it came up revealing the cooling liquid. Have a roll of paper towels handy, and use one when you pick up the small lens, as it will have oil on it since it is concave and dips down into the coolant. Be careful not to spill or drip the coolant, as it will ruin your electronics inside the set if it drips on them.

I then used a large syringe rather than a turkey baster, as the syringe is airtight and will not leak. I took an old 2 liter drink bottle and placed the old liquid into it as I removed it from the CRTs. It took about 5 or 6 pulls to remove all the coolant, and then I cleaned everything out really well with paper towels and windex, including the concave shaped lens and the larger external lens. Rather than buy the CRT coolant oil, I went to the drug store and bought 3 bottles of baby oil for a total of about $7.00. Once everything was nice and clean, I filled the CRT to just below the top edge and replaced the concave and external lens, then replaced the 8 screws and the first one was complete. Do them one at a time from start to completion.

It took about 30 minutes to do the first CRT, because I was learning as I went, but I did the remaining two in about 15 mins each, as it was a simple repeat at that point. Once you reach the CRTs, it's really as easy as removing 8 screws, a clean up, then adding the oil, and returning the CRT and 8 screws to their original home. The hardest part is to insure you get each CRT level and steady, because if not, the fluid will spill out and ruin your TV. Also, make sure you don't over fill the CRT as the small internal colored lens is concave and curves downward into the coolant, so if you over fill it, it will spill out when you place the concave lens back into place. Very Important: Make sure you remove the four screws that hold the CRT to the chasis first and get the CRT level. If you remove the lens screws first, before leveling the CRT guns, the coolant will come rushing out and go everywhere inside your set.

Make sure you clean the mirror and the inside of your screen really well before you put everything back together. This entire job took me about an hour, and I really had no clue what I was doing other than reading this string of posts. I did have to adjust my convergence slightly, but that took about 5 mins tops. My TV is working great, and the picture looks as good as the day I brought it home new out of the box. Some have had some concern about using baby oil, but it's nothing more than mineral oil with fragrance. My set has been playing for a week with no problems and I have double checked it for leaks and so far, everything is sealed tight and the picture is fantastic! I got a brand new set for $7 and about an hour of my time. Anyone charging more than a $150 for this repair is robbing you!

Gus67
User

Mar 2, 2011, 4:53 AM

Post #169 of 174 (27944 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mccullek] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

This particular post is as good as gold.

For ANYONE who is intimidated by people who try to put the doubt in your mind that a task(like this one) is beyond your capability would need to read this.

Do not let some members on this site tell you that you are incapable of doing something that THEY DEEM YOU INCAPABLE OF DOING

if you can read and have some thought process and problem solving capability you can fix the problem at hand almost 100% of the time.

Remember that people that are a "negative nancy" are really the ones who are truly insecure in their own capabilities and are trying to make themselves more important by making the task at hand more complex and difficult to make themselves feel more knowledgeable and smarter than they really are.

Taur
New User

Mar 5, 2011, 12:33 PM

Post #170 of 174 (27918 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hobodewey] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I believe with the heat and the rubber gaskets, you will eventualy have some leaking.I think the mineral oil will attack the rubber and you will end up with a sloppy mess inside that TV.

LOL ..... "Sloppy Mess Inside" I believe this is the exact reason why you cannot use Baby Oil or Mineral Oil with a condom, because you will end up with a "Sloppy Mess Inside"!

Most oil based lubricants will attack rubber and latex.

(This post was edited by Taur on Mar 5, 2011, 12:39 PM)

Gus67
User

Mar 8, 2011, 5:29 PM

Post #171 of 174 (27880 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Taur] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree 100%

Gus67
User

Mar 8, 2011, 10:30 PM

Post #172 of 174 (27875 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gus67] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

the one thing I totally forgot to put in my comment about the negativity post 2 lines above this was to use the CRT coolant...totally forgot to comment on it until I read the sticky mess post.

thebigbanger
New User

Mar 17, 2011, 12:25 PM

Post #173 of 174 (27809 views)
Shortcut

Thank you for all info in this thread. It was very useful for me. <br>
The Big Bang Theory S04 free download - http://thebigbangtheorys04.wordpress.com/

(This post was edited by thebigbanger on Mar 17, 2011, 12:27 PM)

shadow1
New User

May 15, 2011, 4:19 PM

Post #174 of 174 (22998 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mccullek] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

I followed your instructions and everything went great. I didn't spill a drop but when i turned the tv on after I finished all I have is a blue screen with white lines on it. The red & green guns come on for about 5 seconds then shut off. Any ideas what might have happened?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.19 s on (CGI/1.1)