First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

powerdmos
New User

Mar 21, 2006, 3:03 PM

Post #51 of 174 (44245 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rich32822] After Coolant Change loud POP sound! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink Hi Rich,

I did not take pics, but what is the model # of your set?

If it's like mine, it's easy!

regards,

rich32822
New User

May 7, 2006, 6:12 PM

Post #52 of 174 (43824 views)
Shortcut
Re: [powerdmos] After Coolant Change loud POP sound! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry I've taken awhile toget back. Work! I have a Magnavox 6P5450. Any thoughts?

tagunter
New User

Jun 9, 2006, 5:59 PM

Post #53 of 174 (43517 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crawfishy] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

www.mcminone.com is out of part # 20-2041 and says it's discontinued.

Will part # 20-4275 work? It's a 16 oz. bottle instead of 24 oz, but a with a quick scan of the MSDS, it appears to be the same stuff from a different company.

crawfishy
New User

Jun 11, 2006, 4:06 AM

Post #54 of 174 (43500 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tagunter] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, that part# will work fine. Any product listed as "Projection TV CRT Coolant" will work. Be sure to order enough to do the job.

NTL1991
New User

Jun 22, 2006, 5:43 AM

Post #55 of 174 (43365 views)
Shortcut

I need to order some coolant in the morning. Is 3 cans of 16oz enough? Also, I have a Magnavox 9P6444 64" RPTV and I'm going to go down the path of taking the whole CRT assembly out instead of tipping this beast over on it's side... (It'll be much easier, I think) But does anyone have any pointers or tips in the process of doing this. I know I definately need to vacuum out the CRT (base) section of the TV because there are spiderwebs and dust galore... Is it easy to distinguish the lens screws from the whole CRT assembly screws? I dont want coolant spilling all over my boards!

Thanks,
Nick
Philips Magnavox 9P6444 64" RPTV
Sony 53" RPTV
Sharp 32F621 42" Flat Screen CRT

crawfishy
New User

Jun 26, 2006, 1:00 AM

Post #56 of 174 (43324 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NTL1991] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

NTL1991... When I replace the fluid in all three of my CRT's it took a little less than 30oz. I personally would not take the CRT's out... It just looked like WAY too much work and I did just fine changing the fluid with the TV tipped. I used A LOT!!!!! of paper towels and didn't spill one drop. Even if you take the CRT's out, be absolutely sure to check for leaks the first time the TV is turned on... Leave the TV on for a long time so the CRT's heat up and check for leaks constantly!!!
I can't give you any help on how to take the CRT's out... other than to tell you to be carefull and document everything you do so you can be sure it all goes back together properly:-)
Crawfishy

NTL1991
New User

Jun 29, 2006, 3:42 AM

Post #57 of 174 (43282 views)
Shortcut

So did you have to unplug cables/remove boards or anything like that? I don't wanna have to remove cables or boards, but if I take the CRT out, I have to. Did you have to do anything other than convergence after you replaced the coolant? How do you get inside to clean if you leave the CRTs in? I know that the Mirror and screen assy. can be easily removed with a few screws, leaving only the Base/Speakers of the TV and CRT section, so I guess I could manage to just tip the TV over. How far over do you have to tip it? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm getting the coolant in tomorrow.

Thanks,

Nick

BTW, I posted a pic of the internals of my TV, can you point anything out that will be an obsticle or something like that?
Sony 53" RPTV
Attachments: Internals.jpg (454 KB)

crawfishy
New User

Jun 30, 2006, 8:20 PM

Post #58 of 174 (43256 views)
Shortcut

I didn't have to unplug or remove anything... That's why I did it that way, I didn't want the hassle of removal and reinstallation of components. I only had to tip one side of the TV up on a couple of 2x4's to do the job. Just tip it as far as it will go but still be safe and not try to fall over :-)
The only main part that I removed was the mirror because I did the job from the back. I couldn't figure out an easy way to get the screen off so I left it alone. Once the fluid job was done, I adjusting the convergance with the on-screen menu and I was done.
I looked at your pic and it looks pretty straight forward... Easy access to the CRT's. I trust you have downloaded and read the PDF document from one of my posts earlier in this thread about how to change the fluid. It is named "TV Coolant.PDF".
Just take it slow and careful and keep everything clean. Use TONS of paper towels below your work area to protect the boards from coolant drips. There is no such thing as "too many" paper towels!!!
Crawfishy

NTL1991
New User

Jul 2, 2006, 11:31 PM

Post #59 of 174 (43229 views)
Shortcut

Yes, I have read your PDF and it will be alot of help. I went out to get all the stuff I needed, but I had to order the Denatured Alcohol on the internet. I went to every pharmacy in my area and no luck. One Pharmacist even wanted me to check a Sergical Supply Store?? Well, when I get the Alcohol in, I will do it. Thank you VERY much for your replies!

Nick
Sony 53" RPTV

crawfishy
New User

Jul 3, 2006, 10:37 PM

Post #60 of 174 (43194 views)
Shortcut

Sorry you had no luck finding the denatured alcohol. Just to clarify for anyone else that my read this... Denatured alcohol is usually available at Hardware stores. I got mine at True Value. Probably available at many other places as well. Usually around the paint department with other chemicals like paint thinner.

NTL1991
New User

Jul 4, 2006, 1:52 AM

Post #61 of 174 (43191 views)
Shortcut

Oh... :) That's probably why I couldn't find it.

Thanks,

Nick
Sony 53" RPTV

NTL1991
New User

Jul 7, 2006, 2:58 AM

Post #62 of 174 (43141 views)
Shortcut

I'm positively going to do it tomorrow. I have one more question. I bought the tubing (the kind for fish tank pumps) and the baster, but how do you remove the coolant with these 2 things? Do you just use the tubing to remove it, then use the baster to put it back in with the tubing?

Thanks,

Nick
Sony 53" RPTV

crawfishy
New User

Jul 7, 2006, 7:19 PM

Post #63 of 174 (43130 views)
Shortcut

The tubing needs to fit snug onto the end (the tip) of the turkey baster. Hopefully you have the right size. Once you remove the expansion chamber from the CRT you can stick the tube into the CRT though the hole where the expansion chamber was installed. You squeeze the ball of the baster before putting the tub into the fluid. Then insert the tube into the fluid and release the ball. The sucking action will pull the fluid into the baster allowing you to remove the fluid a little at a time. You won't get all of it out this way but you need to get most of it out before you can remove the lens over the CRT.
I cannot stress this enough... USE TONS OF PAPER TOWELS!!!!
Have fun.

munymunyd
New User

Aug 22, 2006, 1:15 AM

Post #64 of 174 (42727 views)
Shortcut

OK - We looked at and read every post in here and then changed our coolant. AND WOW....what a difference it made. Our red was not that bad, the blue and green were extremely dirty. One NOTE: Our Margnivox had to be tiled forward and then twisted (once to the left and once to the right) to replace the coolant in each of the guns on the right and left respectively. This has to be done to ensure that when the cover was removed that the fluid chamber was level. This prevents spills and ensures a proper fill. Which brings me to my second point. Ensure you put enough coolant into the system. If not you will have red, or blue, or green ghost (which ever coolant is low).
Other than that - a real simple task. Just take your time - I repeat....Take your time!
And to think that the TV repair guys wanted $500.00 to do something that literally took 1 hour to complete.

budgirl
New User

Aug 28, 2006, 5:24 AM

Post #65 of 174 (42670 views)
Shortcut
Re: [munymunyd] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

Several people who have posted in this thread have provided links to the CRT coolant through MCM electronics. However, they are either sold out or disco on these products. Does anyone have any other suggestions where to buy the coolant? It would be greatly appreciated! Also, thanks to all for providing the great info here; it's been extremely useful.

munymunyd
New User

Sep 1, 2006, 6:10 PM

Post #66 of 174 (42632 views)
Shortcut
Re: [budgirl] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

When we placed our order - we had to order the smaller bottles that are easy to work with. Probibly easier than the larger bottles. Call MCM and ask for the smaller bottles.

grspec
New User

Sep 15, 2006, 1:19 PM

Post #67 of 174 (42497 views)
Shortcut
Re: Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

I just picked up a 60" Magnavox 6p6040w102 last night that worked but the blue was blurry, after finding this forum and this thread I am pretty hopeful that I have found the answer. I am going to disassemble it tonight and see what I fluid looks like. The guy I got it from said that it was just the blue but after turning it on last night the picture is not very bright and and the blue and maybe the green is blurry and has a glowing effect. Based on some of the other pictures people took, it looks very similar. I just wanted to thank all those in advance, that took the time to post information and pictures that will help me get started.

grspec
New User

Sep 16, 2006, 10:42 PM

Post #68 of 174 (42469 views)
Shortcut
Re: [grspec] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

Well I found a place local that had some coolant and just finished changing out the coolant on my blue gun. Sure enough there was tons of crud in there and after scouring the forums decided to remove the crt completely instead of risking leaving it in. Now I still have to do the green because it has some crud built up, just not as much but it is effecting the picture. After doing a convergence and checking it out with the blue all cleaned it is really looking good, I can't wait to do the green, I just ran out of fluid.
Now part of this story is pretty cool because the local repair shop that had the fluid, the guy just gave it too me. Had a bottle around and said he didn't do any coolant changes so he just gave me the bottle. How cool is that? Anyway he has a link to a parts place he uses and I am going to post it here with the ref code because 1. they have cheap coolant and 2 the guy was helpful so why not try to help him out a bit. here is the link
http://www.wehaveparts.com/index.cgi?ref=A0014
check out under chemicals then coolant for some stuff called FC-16, I am going to order mine now and finish this job up early next week. I will also post some pics i took of the process hopefully to help out others out who want to tackle this.

night_owl
New User

Sep 17, 2006, 9:35 PM

Post #69 of 174 (42454 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rich32822] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad to see this forum with all this good info. I just helped a friend move a washing machine, while moving it they gave me a 46" Magnavox RM8530 A101. It also has this problem that everyone seems to be discussing. I use to work for Pitney Bowes/Imagistics on many different copiers. First step for me was to clean all lenses and such, including the mirror. After that didn't accomplish much of anything I decided to do some research online here. First found that someone on another Q&A site mentioned "draining" and cleaning the lenses I decided to go that path and found this forum. I just ordered myself a 10pk of 16 oz bottles of coolant(i have friends that have similiar problems with their rptv units). I don't plan on removing the CRT out of the unit. But I do plan on removing old coolant with a hand pump syphon system I have from working at PB. And also plan on flushing out the CRT coolant area with a couple of the bottles to make sure all crud is removed. I hope it works cuz it seems like a good unit and I do enjoy repairing other peoples "junk". Thanks again for all the info. I will post before and after photos once I recieve the coolant and do the repair. Take Care!

tonymemphis
New User

Sep 18, 2006, 3:18 AM

Post #70 of 174 (42440 views)
Shortcut
Re: [night_owl] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

Just Wanted to Say thanks to this thread for saving my 55" Magnavox from the dump. I recently bought a Hi-Def Toshiba and was ready to throw out my old big screen till I stumbled upon this site. Now I have a cool big screen in the bedroom. I was skeptical at first to try an change the coolant but what did I have to lose at this point. I took the CRT's completly out of the cabinet and it went great. I ordered the coolant for around $50.00 from MG Chemicals http://www.elexp.com/che_5803.htm I bought my Screen around X-mas 2000 and the past two years the picture was getting worse and worse fading and the colors sucked. After I changed the coolant I couldn't believe what a difference. I can actually see it now almost like new. Thank you guys who contributed so much.....Wink

grspec
New User

Sep 19, 2006, 3:53 AM

Post #71 of 174 (42397 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tonymemphis] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

I just finished cleaning out and replacing the coolant on my green crt and the pictue looks great. I just wanted to post a big thank you to all who contributed and share some pics.
Attachments: b4.jpg (59.1 KB)
  blue_b4.jpg (81.8 KB)
  blue_after.jpg (77.5 KB)
  badcoolant.jpg (74.1 KB)
  after.jpg (38.7 KB)
  after2.jpg (52.5 KB)

neonspeed
New User

Sep 19, 2006, 5:18 PM

Post #72 of 174 (42383 views)
Shortcut
Re: [grspec] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

i just changed the coolant in my blue crt (both other tubes are new so didnt need it) but now im having a problem lining up the green on the crosshair, all other colors will line up right but when i try to line up green it just exits the convergence crosshair. is this the convergence board that needs to be replaces? <br>

tv is model # 7p6051-c101 chassis # ptv780-ah01 Magnavox 60"

(This post was edited by neonspeed on Sep 20, 2006, 2:27 AM)

neonspeed
New User

Sep 24, 2006, 12:54 PM

Post #73 of 174 (42330 views)
Shortcut
Re: [neonspeed] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

nevermind im an idiot, i didnt relize you have to converge blue and red to the green crosshair lol. well i changed the fluid in my blue and green and picture is perfect now, thanks guys for the pdf and all the help!!!

Crisis1837
New User

Sep 30, 2006, 5:59 AM

Post #74 of 174 (42264 views)
Shortcut

Hopefully I didnt F@&# things up to bad. I changed the fluid in my Magnavox 51"....Old, thats all I know about the year. But I think I may have gotten some of the fluid on the board, I went to turn it back on when I was done and it turned on and shut right back off. I know I read about this somewhere but cant remember where...Any one have any help, other then I f%$^ it up good...lol?

crawfishy
New User

Sep 30, 2006, 7:31 PM

Post #75 of 174 (42248 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Crisis1837] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

Well that's a bummer. The coolant is corrosive and can certainly cause problems on the boards. I have not read much about cleaning boards after coolant has gotten on them. If it were me, I would try to clean the spill area with rubbing alcohol (like you put on a skin cut). Then blow out the area to be sure ALL the alcohol evaporates before applying power to the TV. May work... May not. If something is already damaged or blown then cleaning now is not gonna be of much help.
I hate to use you as an example for others but if anyone else reads this... I have said this many times before and cannot stress this enough: "Use plenty of paper towels - There is no such thing as TOO MANY paper towels." Load up the entire area with paper towels between the CRT's and the circuit boards if you need to!!!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.20 s on (CGI/1.1)