First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

panaman
New User

Jan 14, 2009, 3:10 PM

Post #126 of 174 (30931 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rkcrews] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks rkcrews
so that is the drain plug you used( its on the opposite side of where the expansion chamber is in the same place)?
did you have to take the front screen off( i guess so to be able to get to the two that face the other way)?
left loosey righty tighty right?
and how did you get the fluid out of the expansion chamber?

also since the drainage hole is straight up in the air how did you know when you had put in enough fluid?
sorry to ask so many questions i just have never done this before

(This post was edited by panaman on Jan 14, 2009, 3:21 PM)

cejhunt3
New User

Jan 16, 2009, 1:03 AM

Post #127 of 174 (30917 views)
Shortcut
Re: [panaman] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

Does anyone think that the coolant can get so bad that the picture just goes black like there is nothingthere just sound.
Thanks

panaman
New User

Jan 18, 2009, 4:26 AM

Post #128 of 174 (30891 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cejhunt3] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

Sup rkcrews (and anyone else that may be able to help). I went through the tedious process of changing out the coolant, and I must say, I can see why tv repairmen charge so much for this repair. However, I got it done, but now I have other issues.
The first thing I wanted to ask you about is the leak I got when putting the lens covers back on. Is this normal? It stopped after a bit, but scared the crap out of me when it happened. Could I have put the screws back on too tight, or is there something else wrong?
Anyway, turned the tv on after cleaning up my mess, and now the convergence is off. I only changed the blue and green fluid, but now they are both off from the red.
Any guidance on the easiest & most efective way to adjust the convergence? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I out so much time into the fluid change and I really want this tv to work.
By the way, the blue and green look GREAT now; very clear and vivid! Thanks for all your help thusfar!

Refuse2Lose
New User

Jan 19, 2009, 12:08 AM

Post #129 of 174 (30817 views)
Shortcut

I've read this entire thread, one quick question. I know there are pros and cons to leaving the CRT's in or taking them out. If I leave the CRT's in when changing the fluid, will there be less trouble with converging and focusing later? I really feel confident in changing the fluid after reading through this thread....converging scared the crap out of the through.
Thanks guys!
PS So much great info on here!!

panaman
New User

Jan 21, 2009, 7:29 AM

Post #130 of 174 (30783 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cejhunt3] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

cej i think u might have a power problem,have you checked to make sure all of your guns are lighting?

i left my guns inwhen i changed thefluid but i obviously messed up somewhere. the tv works fine but my convergence is off, does anyone know what would cause this

notice how the blue crosshair is leaning

the blue (words) wont line up righht

this is (supposedly) lined up

blue is the problem right now

cejhunt3
New User

Jan 22, 2009, 2:42 AM

Post #131 of 174 (30776 views)
Shortcut

Hey there panaman, Thanks for the reply. I don't have any light at the tubes. And I don't have or hear any Power comeing threw the HV wire from the flyback. They say you sould be able to hear it or maybe fell the voltage threw the wire. I was told that it could be the flyback that went out. SO i am looking to buy a new flyback for it and try that. If you have any other thangs that you can thank of please let me know as iam trying to get this done as soon as posible.
Thanks again

grrlmechanic
New User

Mar 26, 2009, 4:22 AM

Post #132 of 174 (30261 views)
Shortcut
Re:Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

My story.. About a year and a half ago, I saw a Philips philips 9P6034 proj TV on the curb about a half a mile away from my house.. I do a lot of mixed media technology art, and figured if it didn't work, well, maybe I'd tear it apart and do something funky with the trapezoidal mirror inside.

Being pretty certain the TV was meant to be trash (you're supposed to take them to the dump yourself and pay big bucks) I rolled the TV down the street (which pretty much wore the casters down to nothing).

After an altercation with first a guy with a pickup truck who thought he had dibs on it (and nearly ran me over he was so pissed) and then a cop (who had seen the TV there and figured out pretty quickly that I was doing a civic service by cleaning off the sidewalks!), I got it home, and lo and behold, it worked!

Well, sort of. The picture was cloudy, and I soon found that there was horrible bacteria in the blue and green guns (red was fine)

What I didn't find at the time was this forum, and at the time I didn't know anything about CRT coolant or any of that stuff. So I start ripping it apart (I figured there was a place where I could clean it off) and I remove some of the 4 screws that hold the lens over the blue gun. And then gloosh!

Then I found this forum and read up and realized that maybe I should do a little research next time (I know well enough to keep away from the high-violatge stuff like the backs of CRTs and flyback transformer-type looking things)

Anyway, as you guess I got a bit of coolant on the boards. I cleaned it up the best I could. Since it was a free set, and the coolant could cost about $20 for 2 bottles, I might as well dive in and entirely remove both logic boards to clean them (little to lose). They were all connected to each other with ribbon cables that are nicely numbered, so with the exception of a couple of mystery black ground wires that I'm not sure where they go(with female blade connectors), I think I'm ok.

I didn't really keep track of what went where, but all the other connections are numbered, so i figure it will all make sense when I put it together (not the recommended way of doing it I imagine)

So, I cleaned up both logic boards top to bottom with the highest concentration of rubbing alcohol I could get. Then I blow dried them until they were pretty clean and dry, though there are a few places where I can't see under a capacitor or something, so I can't tell if it's all gone or not.

In any event, since I had to change some of the casters on the bottom, I removed the entire mirror/sceen top half of the set, and it's way more portable.. Since then I've let it all sit in the garage for a year and a half, and I've decided to finally tackle the rest.

So, my questions are:

Where are the drains for the chambers? Are they those plastic hex headed (but have a round hole in the center) that someone circled red in their pictures? I don't' see anything that looks like an expansion chamber though. Also, there are these thumb screws that seem to adjust the lenses which I don't want to mess with.

Now that I have the boards totally out, and the top half of the set off, I don't think I will have any problem tipping everything so that I can get the drain plug to be on top and turkey baste all the go out and go from there (which I assume is remove the lenses and then clean out the rest of the coolant per the pdf instrufctions, then reassemble and refill)

Also, would the spilled coolant ever evaporate? Can I be reasonably sure that after a year and a half since I cleaned the boards that they will be dry of any trace of the stuff?

motors
New User

Mar 29, 2009, 11:56 PM

Post #133 of 174 (30230 views)
Shortcut
Re: [grrlmechanic] Re:Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

Not sure if anyone is continuing to monitor the CRT coolant change procedure, but I have a question. I read the entire thread, and was ready to change my coolant since my picture had degraded (darkened). I read a post earlier regarding a green tint to the lens, and replies that said the color should be clear. Well I had a green tint in my green gun, so I thought it must be bad fluid and went ahead with changing it. Well the green tint is the color of the concave lens, and my fluid was clear. So now I will refill with new fluid and here is my question. What else would cause the color and brightness to degrade? I have the "brightness", "picture" and "color" all full up to 100%, and the picture is still very dark. All three guns are putting out color, the mirror and lens covers are clean but I am not sure what the problem is at this point. Can anyone help? TV is a 2003 Philips pp9401, 55".

rustym62
New User

Apr 5, 2009, 9:33 PM

Post #134 of 174 (30187 views)
Shortcut
Re: [motors] Re:Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, I'm surprised by how many brave souls are out there who are willing to attempt this! There is a reason they charge so much to do this there are a lot of steps! And you can screw it up royally! Perhaps leaving the crts in the set by laying it down reduces the amount of convergence you do but worrying about getting fluid over everything would keep me from going that route. If you're really set on doing it I'll try giving you the "nutshell" version.Take back of set off top and bottom, that is how you access the crts. Now you can look directly into them with set on and see how dirty they are.Usually only blue and green have the problem.You will see gunk in the picture if its dirty. Only remove 1 at a time! Remove the little crt board at the bottom of crt.There are 4 screws holding crt in place , a couple of ground wires to remove. 2 wires (1 convergence and 1 deflection) and the red wire (anode lead) out of the fly back. Leave the electronics (the yoke assembly) on the crt. Doing that will significantly reduce the amount of convergence alignment you will have to do later!!! I usually do blue crt first as green is your reference.The drain plug is the little plastic 6 or 8 sided (I can't remember) piece in the center. Pay attention to its position as it has 2 little "arms" that are keyed to go one way but they don't move very far. I mark their location so I don't overtighten(which can cause leak!). Remove plug there is a rubber gasket on the end of it, don't lose it! Drain fluid have lots of towels laid out and pour into container. Once empty there are 4 spring loaded screws to remove and you will be able to remove crt. Make sure before you tear this sucker apart to mark the pieces so its easy to re assemble later. Its very easy to get things backwards and upside down if you don't pay attention so do yourself a favor! I mark where the anode lead is and the drain plug. Once apart clean the gunk off crt and fluid chamber and the lens. The crt will have discoloration (a yellowish or brownish square)that will not come off, this is normal burn in. There is a rubber gasket around chamber make sure it is in place and line up crt with it.Put the plate with 4 spring loaded screws back on. Lay crt on its side drain hole up and fill 'er up. This is a pain but you need to fill until begins to overflow. Clean off excess and put on drain plug,tighten back to where you hopefully marked it,lol. Check for leaks. Put crt back in tv, hook up grounds, and wires, red anode lead,put the screws back in to hold her in place and don't forget the little crt board that plugs into the bottom! Now fire up the tv, we're assuming everything went well (fingers crossed) and then its time to align convergence and save. Now once that is done it's time to start all over with the green crt. While you're at it check to make sure the mirror is clean this will cause blurry, fuzzy pix too. Well good luck!
Rusty

http://www.the-tv-dude.blogspot.com

sporkinum
New User

Apr 19, 2009, 9:41 PM

Post #135 of 174 (30101 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rich32822] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

&nbsp;I have a Philips Magnavox 8P6044 that I got from Craig's list for free. It works , but has the usual grungey tubes that need to be cleaned and replace the fluid in. The TV had 10 years worth of dust in it I vacuumed out. The additional I blew out with some compressed air. That was not the best idea, as it seems to have gotten into the optics. I was planning on disassembling the crts to clean the slime out of the coolant chamber anyway. <br> <br>I have the coolant on hand, and got everything apart except for one thing. I can't figure out how to get the HV anode wire out of the distribution block. It looks like there are a couple of slots in the side of the socket where it plugs in. Is there a special tool needed to release the cable? Or is there some other procedure to release the cable? <br> <br>Anyhow, when all done, TV will be 99% cleaner inside. No more dust on lenses, mirror, screens, and all the boards nice and clean so they run cooler. <br>

OK have everything done. Turns out that the HV anode wires need more force than I initially thought. You need to keep pressure on the distribution block to hold it down, while you are pulling up on the wire.

I had a hard time finding a star socket of the proper size to remove the lense assembly. I ended up finding a set at harbor freight for $8. It was an e-5 size.

The red CRT was the worst with gunk build up, followed by the green and then the blue, which was basically clean. I did not want to attempt taking the lenses apart to clean, so the little bit of internal dust was left. Everything else was cleaned though. It took just a bit over 2 16 oz bottles of fluid to fill all 3 tubes.

After putting everything together, I did the normal convergence which gave an OK picture. I then did the service convergence which did multi point and multi color. Looks much better now. The far corners of the screen are not the best focus wise, but I think will be good enough for me.

Total cost was $28 for 3 bottles of coolant shipped.
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/20-4275
and $8 for star drive socket set from local harbor freight.

TV was free from Craigs List. :)Laugh

(This post was edited by sporkinum on Apr 26, 2009, 9:42 PM)

mkmmkm
New User

Aug 28, 2009, 4:10 PM

Post #136 of 174 (29552 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sporkinum] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, To get into the service menus, do I need to use an "original" remote? I am trying to get into the menu on a Magnavox 7P6051C101, after doing a coolant change and only have a universal one. The convergence is off on the left side of the picture. The regular convergence menu helped some, but its still off. I have tried the 062597 and 062596 code and then pressing the "menu" button on the tv, but the service menu does not come up. I have ordered an original remote. Thanks for any advice!!

jts1957
Veteran

Aug 28, 2009, 7:34 PM

Post #137 of 174 (29549 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mkmmkm] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

See your other post.

-------------------------

sporkinum
New User

Aug 28, 2009, 8:49 PM

Post #138 of 174 (29545 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mkmmkm] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, you need an original remote.

mkmmkm
New User

Aug 28, 2009, 9:57 PM

Post #139 of 174 (29542 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks!

mkmmkm
New User

Aug 28, 2009, 9:59 PM

Post #140 of 174 (29541 views)
Shortcut

Thanks sporkinum. I was thinking i would.

RVANS1
New User

Sep 6, 2009, 8:43 PM

Post #141 of 174 (29498 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crawfishy] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

HELLO : MY NAME IS RUSTY FROM R & B ELECTRONICS I HAVE BEEN SUCCESSFULLY USING CLEAR MINERAL OIL FOUND IN MOST DRUG STORES OR WALLMART ETC. APPROX COST 4.00 PER PINT OR LESS. NON CORROSIVE AND OPTICAL CLEAR WORKS GREAT FOR ME FOR MANY YEARS . FROM RUSTY AT RVANS@NETZERO.NET PS IF YOU SPILL OLD OIL COOLANT ON PC BOARD TILT TV TO REAR USE DENATURED ALCOHOL OR EQUIVALENT TO WASH OFF OLD COOLANT DRY WITH HAIRDRYER ON MEDIUM NO PROBLEMS FOUND WITH THIS TECNIQUE EITHER . BEFORE CHANGING FLUID PLACE ABSOBENT TOWEL OVER PC BOARD IF NOT REMOVING TUBES COMPLETELY.

cherishyou
New User

Sep 7, 2009, 8:52 AM

Post #142 of 174 (29487 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rich32822] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

in fact, the life span of CRT is longer than lcd .i don't know whether the science is fall behind !
-----------------------------------------------------
The Shield Seasons 1-6 DVD Box set
The Sopranos Seasons 1-6 DVD Box set

kuhurdler
User

Sep 8, 2009, 1:07 PM

Post #143 of 174 (29476 views)
Shortcut

I found a great guide to changing the CRT Coolant:
How To Change CRT Coolant

mrpainter
New User

Nov 26, 2009, 11:22 AM

Post #144 of 174 (29023 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RVANS1] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

This is the best information I have got. Did any one know that baby oil is clear mineral oil. I just bought 2 500 mil bottles for under 5 bucks pulled the blue and green crt's out of my TV using the link to a guide in a previous post to do this. The whole thing took me about an hour and half and have a beautiful picture again. Thanks.

In Reply To
HELLO : MY NAME IS RUSTY FROM R & B ELECTRONICS I HAVE BEEN SUCCESSFULLY USING CLEAR MINERAL OIL FOUND IN MOST DRUG STORES OR WALLMART ETC. APPROX COST 4.00 PER PINT OR LESS. NON CORROSIVE AND OPTICAL CLEAR WORKS GREAT FOR ME FOR MANY YEARS . FROM RUSTY AT RVANS@NETZERO.NET PS IF YOU SPILL OLD OIL COOLANT ON PC BOARD TILT TV TO REAR USE DENATURED ALCOHOL OR EQUIVALENT TO WASH OFF OLD COOLANT DRY WITH HAIRDRYER ON MEDIUM NO PROBLEMS FOUND WITH THIS TECNIQUE EITHER . BEFORE CHANGING FLUID PLACE ABSOBENT TOWEL OVER PC BOARD IF NOT REMOVING TUBES COMPLETELY.

mrpainter
New User

Nov 26, 2009, 11:29 AM

Post #145 of 174 (29022 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kuhurdler] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

Sly Great guide made the job so easy. Dont get scammed, use clear baby oil in your CRT's works great costs nothing and the job is dead easy. It takes longer to pull the back of your TV than it does to change the coolant in the CRT. Dont pay $100 bucks Blush for the "COOLANT" you are getting ripped off Sly

In Reply To
I found a great guide to changing the CRT Coolant:
How To Change CRT Coolant

barneyjack
New User

Dec 16, 2009, 6:24 AM

Post #146 of 174 (28876 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crawfishy] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi crawfishy,
Barney jack here, I noticed that your post was dated 2005 and wanted to know if the PDF file was still available for coolant change. I have a Philips 60PP9202/17F that I am having a convergence problem with and if I replace the convergence IC's I will change the coolant at the same time.
thank you
barneyjack7690@yahoo.com

earlybird46222
New User

Feb 13, 2010, 12:51 AM

Post #147 of 174 (28368 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mrpainter] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

Just finished changing the coolant in the tv with great success! I used mineral oil I got drom the store for $1.92 a bottle and it worked great. I have a great picture and I'm really happy with the results. Thanks alot for the great advice. I did have one problem when I tried to manually adjust the convergence with the tabs. They were just plastic and I broke the one on the green tube. Is it possible to order those from somewhere? The tv is a Phillips Magnavox and its about 12 or 13 years old. The tv still has a nice picture, but I'm afraid if I bump into it that it might throw the converenge off again.I did use the menu to adjust it and it seem to work fine that way. Anyway Thanks again for the great advice! larry.early1948@att.net

mrpainter
New User

Feb 13, 2010, 1:06 AM

Post #148 of 174 (28365 views)
Shortcut
Re: [earlybird46222] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

I am glad you had success in changing your crt coolant. I couldnt believe that when i went to a TV repair place they wanted in excess of $600 to do this job and quoted me in excess of $300 just for the coolant. ( In Australia) what a scam. With the information that is available these days on the internet most jobs aren't hard to do yourself. If you want to do it yourself it can be done !!!!!!!!! the other problem I had was a cracked transformer that was arcking. The repair shop wanted $220 dollars for another one so i bought a tube of epoxy metal for 10 bucks and sealed the crack in 2 minutes and works fine. Cheers keep up the good work.

Gus67
User

Feb 23, 2010, 2:57 AM

Post #149 of 174 (28297 views)
Shortcut
Re: [earlybird46222] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

Bird,
Keep us posted on that mineral oil substitution...I believe it would work.Although, I doubt it will last for long.They do use mineral oil in compasses.However,Compasses do not get above room temerature.I believe with the heat and the rubber gaskets, you will eventualy have some leaking.I think the mineral oil will attack the rubber and you will end up with a sloppy mess inside that TV.

I could be wrong, but I am curious ofthe long term effect on the gasket and plastic material combined with the heat of the CRT's.

I hope for your sake it works for the long term.

Good luck with it.

kuhurdler
User

Mar 4, 2010, 3:31 PM

Post #150 of 174 (28221 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kuhurdler] Changing CRT Coolant [In reply to] Can't Post

<br> <br>I'm not sure why you would want to chance it with mineral oil. The coolant is only $7 per bottle. <br>

-RiddledTV.com
http://www.riddledtv.com/forums/

(This post was edited by kuhurdler on Mar 4, 2010, 3:31 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.24 s on (CGI/1.1)