Toshiba hypermodule

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

jts1957
Veteran

Aug 13, 2009, 4:48 PM

Post #51 of 141 (3763 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bogart219] Toshiba hypermodule [In reply to] Can't Post

From what I've seen so far in the service literature: With the exception of certain places in the primary of the SMPS, Every ground is a Cold ground! (Emitter pin of Q404 - schematic shows a ground symbol. You may connect (reference) any other same symbol ground in the set!).
Can't remember if lead can separate from one or both ends. If only (removed) from splitter/divider end, you could place into a bottle (to insulate) and (if divider were to be defective) the rest of set would function.
You're "supposed to be" intimately familiar with the "workings" (of the buttons) of your own set.Wink

-------------------------

bogart219
User

Aug 13, 2009, 9:36 PM

Post #52 of 141 (3758 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Toshiba hypermodule [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello, JTS
I got that neon light tester. I ran it over and around T461 (flyback). It lit up. It wasn't as bright as when I
Plugged it into an outlet to compare. It lit around the body of T461 but not the wire coming out of it.

"If only (removed) from splitter/divider end, you could place into a bottle"
I'm going to post a pic just to make sure were on the same page. I think there are directions for taking that wire off. I don't want to destroy anything.

"You're "supposed to be" intimately familiar with the "workings" (of the buttons) of your own set"
Shoot Jt, if I had an OSD display I could figure out what to do as far as selecting inputs.

I'm picking up a scope later. I'll be back. Thanks!

bogart219
User

Aug 13, 2009, 10:46 PM

Post #53 of 141 (3756 views)
Shortcut

Yellow, Here is T461. Is it the red wire your talking about removing?
http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc344/bogey219/Flyback.png

I got the scope.
http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc344/bogey219/Picture015.jpg
Will need your help on the scope settings:)

jts1957
Veteran

Aug 14, 2009, 2:56 AM

Post #54 of 141 (3751 views)
Shortcut

You don't need to repeat each line I say from my last post or two that you're commenting on. I'm intelligent (I thunk), and my short-term memory (what's little there is left of it) is still working reasonably well. Now if you want to refresh my memory about something I said two (or more Pages ago), feel free.

Now regarding neon light. If everything is working normally, light will light between half and full intensity, with the brightest occurring around the "donut."

Remove the end of the "jumper" wire from the flyback to the splitter - from the splitter end. (Pgs 9 & 18) connect bare metal of that wire end to your HV probe and stick them into a glass mason jar well insulated from you and everything else in the set. Meter should read approximately 30,000 volts give or take a couple thousand. Try neon bulb again and see if same or brighter.

bogart219
User

Aug 14, 2009, 9:46 PM

Post #55 of 141 (3747 views)
Shortcut

Jts, If I understand those directions right to remove that HV cable from the splitter side, I need to turn it and pull up. Correct?

Also, just to make sure where should I clip my ground lead
from the HV probe? Is the emitter pin (ground), is ok?
thanks

jts1957
Veteran

Aug 14, 2009, 10:22 PM

Post #56 of 141 (3743 views)
Shortcut

All remove the same.

1. Disconnect the FBT anode cable as outlined below. (Disregard, for now: Measure high voltage at the point where the cable enters the FBT.)
2. Holding the rubber cover firmly, turn it counterclockwise and check that the lock has been disengaged. (See Fig. b on page 9.)(somewhat similar to how a bayonet based light bulb locks but without having to push down as you turn.)
3. Determine the extent of the rubber cover before disconnecting the cable. (I like to make sure boot is free first.)
4. Pull straight up the anode cable to disconnect.
5. When reconnecting the cable, proceed in the reverse order.
After reconnecting, tug on the cable to check that it is secure

With the exception of certain places in the primary of the SMPS, Every ground is a Cold ground! (Emitter pin of Q404 - schematic shows a ground symbol. You may connect (reference) any other same symbol ground in the set!).

bogart219
User

Aug 15, 2009, 6:39 PM

Post #57 of 141 (3736 views)
Shortcut

Hey JTS, Removed the HV cable from Z401. Measured
32K volts!

jts1957
Veteran

Aug 15, 2009, 8:09 PM

Post #58 of 141 (3734 views)
Shortcut

While removed do you get sound, filaments, etc.? If you can get set input back onto "Tuner," even if No antenna, may have "white noise" from speakers.
Reinstall that lead and unplug any one of the others and see if you can measure HV in hole. May have to "rig" ie. a paper clip of appropriate diameter.

bogart219
User

Aug 15, 2009, 9:24 PM

Post #59 of 141 (3731 views)
Shortcut

While removed I get no sound or filaments that I can see.
As I mentioned before I have no on screen display to set input to anything.
I will reinstall HV lead back into Z401 and check the HV from the other three and get back to you. Thanks!

jts1957
Veteran

Aug 15, 2009, 10:43 PM

Post #60 of 141 (3728 views)
Shortcut

You only need to do 1 out of three.

How come I can dial a phone without even being able to see the buttons?Wink
(Also did you know you don't need to have the TV "On" to record something?)Wink
Most "A/V /Input/source" buttons work in a circular pattern. Each press sending to the next in a circle. "Tuner>A/V1>A/V2>A/V3>VGA>ETC>ETC>Tuner."

bogart219
User

Aug 16, 2009, 11:17 AM

Post #61 of 141 (3724 views)
Shortcut

I see what your saying. I tried hitting the the input button on the remote numerous times along with other buttons but nothing changed.

bogart219
User

Aug 16, 2009, 1:47 PM

Post #62 of 141 (3723 views)
Shortcut

Hey jts, I got a paper clip to fit down in that hole pretty snugly. I soldered a wire on the end of the paper clip and brought the wire out to where I could hook my HV probe to it with an allegator clip. I was getting a lot of arching out of whole. I did see my HV meter go up to 20K
one time but with all that arching I stopped. What should I do now? thanks!

jts1957
Veteran

Aug 16, 2009, 7:32 PM

Post #63 of 141 (3722 views)
Shortcut

I should have explained better. Look at the end of the connector you unplugged. It has a probe/wire of a certain diameter. Your HV probe has a probe/tip on in that probably will fit into the divider's empty hole, but is not long/slender enough to reach the bottom of the divider's hole. That is the paperclip's job. You need to cut a paper clip to a length that 1) is short enough Not to protrude above the top of the divider hole, and 2) long enough that you can still reach it to retrieve it from the hole. Making it long enough to form a loop at top for probe to contact would be a plus.Cool

bogart219
User

Aug 16, 2009, 7:55 PM

Post #64 of 141 (3720 views)
Shortcut

Yeah, I had the clip protruding above the hole. Will try again:)

bogart219
User

Aug 16, 2009, 8:04 PM

Post #65 of 141 (3718 views)
Shortcut

JTS: That worked! Measured 32K Volts also!

jts1957
Veteran

Aug 17, 2009, 11:31 PM

Post #66 of 141 (3709 views)
Shortcut

Time to start using the scope. But first let's try the screen (G2) controls Pg.8. Since you DO have high voltage and 220 volts, I'd be willing to speculate that you probably also have filaments (even though you have yet to see them in the neck of each CRT).

Get a permanent marker and draw a line across Red/green/blue G2 shafts in such a way as to be able to turn each control and then be able to put it back where you found it - matching each up to the lines you put on them.
Now after turning on the set and waiting a minute, slowly rotate CW (each in turn) to see if you have any light produced on the screen of TV.

bogart219
User

Aug 18, 2009, 8:39 PM

Post #67 of 141 (3703 views)
Shortcut

Tried that jts, nothing, no difference.

jts1957
Veteran

Aug 19, 2009, 3:05 AM

Post #68 of 141 (3700 views)
Shortcut

On the rear jack panel they show two Antenna Ins and an Output. I hope you've tried toggling ant input button after each press of Input button.
Thinking sort of on the same line, I notice a Video Out jack. Not sure if the same as a Monitor out jack, but try hooking it to the Video Input of another TV. We may (at least) be able to tell which input you're on, which input the set comes up on from a dead start, etc. We might even be able to access service menu/self-diagnostics?

bogart219
User

Aug 19, 2009, 11:30 AM

Post #69 of 141 (3697 views)
Shortcut

Hey jts, No ant input botton on this remote. I've just always used the input button (in red) to change between inputs. (looking at the OSD of course).
http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc344/bogey219/remote.png

I'll try playing with that video out jack and another tv and get back to you. Thanks!

jts1957
Veteran

Aug 19, 2009, 3:37 PM

Post #70 of 141 (3694 views)
Shortcut

So does that mean that you're always having to use "Ant A" without being able to switch to "Ant B," or are both Ants in the Input "loop?" Most use seperate "botton."

bogart219
User

Aug 19, 2009, 9:33 PM

Post #71 of 141 (3692 views)
Shortcut

Hey JTS, Before I got a HD DVR from my cable co. about 6 months ago, I just had my cable going to Ant.1 (0 on the osd menu). Since then , with the dvr (which I leave on all the time) I just press 4 (colorstream1) or for my dvd player, I press 5 (colorstream2), From the OSD.
http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc344/bogey219/source.png

I did hook up a cable from that video out to video in on my small tv. I hooked up the cable to ant1 on the big set. From the big tv's remote, by pressing input then 7, (I don't know why 7), I got a picture on the small tv! I got all the cable channels and they were all clear. I had sound also. I was able to change channels on the small tv with the big tv's remote but wasn't able to adjust volume. Problem is still no OSD on either set:(
What do you think ? Thanks!

jts1957
Veteran

Aug 20, 2009, 6:52 PM

Post #72 of 141 (3683 views)
Shortcut

I thought chart said 7 was Ant 2? (0 = Ant 1)
"I had sound also." On Big or small TV? Were you feeding audio to small set? Which jacks?
Have you tried to get into Service mode? Specifically self-diagnostics?

bogart219
User

Aug 20, 2009, 7:14 PM

Post #73 of 141 (3680 views)
Shortcut

The chart did say 7 was ant 2, but the 7 button worked for both ant 1 & 2 for some reason.

I had sound on small tv. I ran a audio cable over from the audio out on the big tv to the audio in of the small tv.
I could only adjust the volume with the small tv.

Could not get any OSD on either tv. tried menu and setting buttons. Nothing. I will to see if I can bring up service mode.

bogart219
User

Aug 20, 2009, 9:25 PM

Post #74 of 141 (3679 views)
Shortcut

Can't get into service mode either. No OSD on small tv.
Can change channels and thats all.

jts1957
Veteran

Aug 22, 2009, 9:08 PM

Post #75 of 141 (3672 views)
Shortcut

What (if anything) does set do with hyper board removed?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.19 s on (CGI/1.1)