Toshiba hypermodule

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

jts1957
Veteran

Sep 6, 2009, 1:28 PM

Post #101 of 141 (3423 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bogart219] Toshiba hypermodule [In reply to] Can't Post

Let's see if we have PIP video. QV01 pin # 36 and/or PV05 pin #55. Use tuner for one input and DVD player for other. If you know which one is main and which one is going to be PIP source, you could just hit PIP button and move A/V wires to the different inputs (since you can't see any OSD).
Cool

-------------------------

bogart219
User

Sep 7, 2009, 4:19 PM

Post #102 of 141 (3416 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Toshiba hypermodule [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello JTS, Hooked scope up to Pin#36 on QV01. It appeared I was getting a signal on every input I tried using PIP.
Using monitor out to small tv, Ant1, cable good picture.
Using DVD player for other inputs.
The small screen did not display a split screen! When switching between video 1, 2 and 3, I was able to select inputs 1,2 &3 on the remote in PIP mode. I was able to hit the Swap button and I was able to switch back and forth between the cable and the dvd picture.
When I tried inputs 4 &5 colorstream, I got a signal on the scope but no picture. Ant2 was snow again.
Was you expecting to see the split PIP picture on the small screen? Does this test indicate anything?
Thanks!

jts1957
Veteran

Sep 8, 2009, 3:29 AM

Post #103 of 141 (3414 views)
Shortcut

I'm starting to get confused... Block diagram vs. schematic views ...
On BLOCK it shows PIP-V leaving QV01 and going to Hyper (Block= PIP-V / Schematic= ?) and Microprocessor QA01 (Block= PIP-V / Schematic= Pin 30 "PIP-CV").
When I look at labels on Hyper Module on SCHEMATIC all I can find is a PIP-Y which goes to PV05 pin 49.

bogart219
User

Sep 8, 2009, 10:05 AM

Post #104 of 141 (3412 views)
Shortcut

Don't know what to make of that Frown

jts1957
Veteran

Sep 8, 2009, 10:38 AM

Post #105 of 141 (3409 views)
Shortcut

Let's see if we have PIP video. QV01 pin # 36 and/or PV05 pin #55. Use tuner for one input and DVD player for other. If you know which one is main and which one is going to be PIP source, you could just hit PIP button and move A/V wires to the different inputs (since you can't see any OSD).

I presume you got the SAME at PV05 pin #55 as you hot on QV01 pin #36?

Well since that was PIP-V (Video), let's try the same for PIP-Y (Luminance). Main thing is that waveform changes with the content of the PIP signal. So SAME as above for setup but to PV05 pin #49 and pin #27 of Hyper module.

bogart219
User

Sep 8, 2009, 11:20 AM

Post #106 of 141 (3406 views)
Shortcut

JTS, I didn't check pin#55 on pv05, just #36 on QV01.

Will do PIP-Y on both #49 of pv05 and #27 of hyper and get back to you! thanks!

jts1957
Veteran

Sep 8, 2009, 11:46 AM

Post #107 of 141 (3403 views)
Shortcut

You only need to check the first point once on both of the last PIP tests (Unless you want "extra credit"). If signal was present at first of the two points and you move scope probe to the second point and it's also there, you can just leave probe there for the trying of the rest of the inputs.Smile

bogart219
User

Sep 10, 2009, 7:18 PM

Post #108 of 141 (3394 views)
Shortcut

Hey JTS, This latest test had the same results as the last test as far as inputs and what showed up on the small screen. The signal on the scope was basically the same but did appear to change when swapping in PIP, (seemed to slow down with higher peaks.
Question; We have HV to the crt's right. Is that the positive dc voltage? Is the negative dc side what is not being made to let the crt's fire up?
What you think?

jts1957
Veteran

Sep 11, 2009, 8:31 AM

Post #109 of 141 (3386 views)
Shortcut

Ant2 was snow again.

a few posts back ... Was anything connected to that antenna jack during the test?

Again, I'm trying to KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid).
Color Stream #1 (since I can't seem to find the RCA jacks on the A/V schematic for CS2) signal is handled differently. "Y" along with "L" & "R" is still sent to their respective pins of QV01, while "Y" also is sent to QV30 switch IC along with "Pb" & "Pr."
So hook the scope to pin #51 of the Hyper, Input a signal on CS1, switch set to CS1 and see if you observe a signal. Leave scope alone, connect input signal to CS2, switch set to CS2 and see if you observe a signal.
This concludes the Input "Signal" portion of our tests. Output "signal," clock/data, sync and misc. are left.

------------------------------
Answers to your questions from last post:
1) Yes
2) Yes, it is A positive DC voltage whose purpose is to accelerate the electron beam being produced by the electron gun in the neck of CRT. You ain't producing a beam. In fact it seems to be well into cutoff (not even a "flash" on screen when the set is turned off).
3) Let's just say the bias on the CRT is very wrong.

bogart219
User

Sep 12, 2009, 6:24 PM

Post #110 of 141 (3379 views)
Shortcut

hEY JTS, Nothing was connected to Ant 2 when I was doing these test (except when I tested Ant 2).

Same results for cs1 & cs2. No picture on small set but signal on scope, monitoring pin#51 on hyperboard.

Whats next:)

Locutus
New User

Sep 13, 2009, 3:06 AM

Post #111 of 141 (3376 views)
Shortcut

Hey bogart219 I found that if you gently hold and wiggle while pulling up, the surface mount capacitor with a needle nose pliers(offset preferred), the head will pull loose from its internal pins. Leaving the pins soldered to the board. At this point you can either solder your new capacitor to them or remove the pins from the board and solder directly to the board for neatness. I installed 11 X 10 microfarads@16 volts (radial lead). Re-installed the hyper module to the board and checked and re-soldered any weak connections . Put the set back together and voila and beautiful stable picture. I hope this helps.<span contenteditable="false"><table border=0 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 width="100%"><!--reply--><tr><td width="2%"><hr width="100%" noshade size="1" color="#A1A576"></td><td width="10%" align=center><font size=1 face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">In&nbsp;Reply&nbsp;To</font></td><td width="87%"><hr width="100%" noshade color="#A1A576" size=1></td></tr></table></span><div style="margin-left: 30px">

In Reply To

(This post was edited by Locutus on Sep 14, 2009, 11:24 PM)

bogart219
User

Sep 13, 2009, 12:41 PM

Post #112 of 141 (3373 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Locutus] Toshiba hypermodule [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Locutus, I'm passed this point now. After I screwed up repairing the hperboard myself I sent it to the guy on ebay who redid everything on it. I'm assuming that it is ok now.(hopefully). It seems I must of done something else taking it in and out. I got jts helping me to narrow it down.
I should of sent the hyper in from the start for repair. My luck hasn't been to good lately:(. Thanks for the suggestionWink

jts1957
Veteran

Sep 13, 2009, 2:35 PM

Post #113 of 141 (3371 views)
Shortcut

Again, I'm trying to KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid).
Color Stream #1 (since I can't seem to find the RCA jacks on the A/V schematic for CS2) signal is handled differently. "Y" along with "L" & "R" is still sent to their respective pins of QV01, while "Y" also is sent to QV30 switch IC along with "Pb" & "Pr."
So hook the scope to pin #51 of the Hyper, Input a signal on CS1, switch set to CS1 and see if you observe a signal. Leave scope alone, connect input signal to CS2, switch set to CS2 and see if you observe a signal.

I forgot to mention, that simultaneously, same thing should be being input to IC510 pin #3. Confirm.

Now we'll see if we can observe any signal trying to be output from the Hyper board. It (Y-Out) should leave the Hyper board at Pin #1 and arrive at IC510 at pin #8. Connect scope at Hyper end. Try various inputs. If IS there also try IC510 pin #8. Is switching from SD/HD automatic (dependent on input) or manually set?

bogart219
User

Sep 14, 2009, 9:10 PM

Post #114 of 141 (3360 views)
Shortcut

hey jts,
"Is switching from SD/HD automatic (dependent on input) or manually set?" I have to switch the inputs with the remote control.

Well I confirmed IC510 pin #3, then did IC510 pin#8 and hyper pin #1.

Hooked scope probe up to one pin at a time while monitoring small tv and scope. Same results on all three.
With probe hooked up and big set plugged in and OFF,
solid line on scope. Turn big set on get a signal. Have signal on ALL inputs, but picture only on ant1 and video
1,2 and 3. What do you think?

jts1957
Veteran

Sep 15, 2009, 12:03 PM

Post #115 of 141 (3348 views)
Shortcut

HD is only available via the "Color Stream inputs?

Am I understanding correctly? Both ends of feed FROM Hyper to IC510 DO HAVE signal?

bogart219
User

Sep 15, 2009, 10:14 PM

Post #116 of 141 (3346 views)
Shortcut

Hello,
"HD is only available via the "Color Stream inputs? " Yes I believe so.
"Am I understanding correctly? Both ends of feed FROM Hyper to IC510 DO HAVE signal?"
Yes from what I can tell.

What do we check next?

(This post was edited by bogart219 on Sep 18, 2009, 10:32 AM)

bogart219
User

Sep 19, 2009, 2:27 PM

Post #117 of 141 (3332 views)
Shortcut

JTS, You still with me?

jts1957
Veteran

Sep 19, 2009, 4:50 PM

Post #118 of 141 (3330 views)
Shortcut

Yes, just picking myself up off the floor. I did not expect those results on that last test. I thought you would have NO signal coming out of Hyper.Wink
OK, lets leave the Hyper (for now) and follow the signal...
VCC's for Q510 Pins 19, 40 and 55 = ~9Volts?
Hell, let's go for broke ... Scope pins 41, 42 and 43 for signal. You may also try pins 37, 38 and 39 for OSD (should change as you try to display a OSD).Cool

bogart219
User

Sep 19, 2009, 9:37 PM

Post #119 of 141 (3328 views)
Shortcut

Hello jts, I was getting some kind of signal. when I didn't have the scope hooked up I just had the solid horizontal line on the scope screen. When I hooked the probe up to the pins you said in a post previously mentioned, I got some kind of wave form.
I will do the next set of test and let you know. Thanks!

jts1957
Veteran

Sep 19, 2009, 9:42 PM

Post #120 of 141 (3327 views)
Shortcut

As long as you are SURE it WAS a signal - waveform would change as the video image would change (or PIP activated, or OSD is initiated, etc.).Cool

bogart219
User

Sep 19, 2009, 11:52 PM

Post #121 of 141 (3325 views)
Shortcut

JTS, From what I remember it was hard to tell if the signal
really "changed". I know I got a signal (as opposed to a solid horizontal line on the scope), but doing most of these test as you suggested It appeared to me that the signal didn't really change that much. I was going by the assumption of a signal/no signal condition. I will do the latest test you suggested and try to describe better what that scope picture looks like. It seems like no matter
voltage or sec/div scale I use I can't get a steady looking wave. Will report back. Thanks!

jts1957
Veteran

Sep 20, 2009, 12:54 AM

Post #122 of 141 (3321 views)
Shortcut

When you have a picture on the "monitor" TV screen, let's say from the tuner, IF you were to switch the Toshiba to a channel that wasn't being used, you would be easily able to tell the difference between the "signal" (picture) and the "no signal" (no picture or snow) on the monitor TV.
In the same way you should have been able to set the scope to a reasonable steady image of the "signal's" waveform, which you should have been able to see changing along with the video on the "monitor" set (Flat with No signal/random with "snow"). (If the "monitor" went from a daylight scene to a nighttime scene, the waveshape on the scope would also drastically change).
As we move from point to point in the set the scopes adjustments (volt/div and triggering controls in particular) will compensate for the stronger/weaker levels of signal.
This is what you are looking for at each test point. A waveform on the scope that is changing along with the content of the video on the monitor set.
Hope this helps. You could do a Google search for video waveforms, most reference patterns instead of "live" video though.

bogart219
User

Sep 20, 2009, 11:25 AM

Post #123 of 141 (3318 views)
Shortcut

Yes that does explain it better. Is it right to say that there is a ac signal riding on top of a dc signal?
To be honest, I'm not sure I was seeing any "change" in the signal. I must not be using this scope right. Will try the latest test you suggested paying close attention for any changes. thanks.

jts1957
Veteran

Sep 20, 2009, 4:03 PM

Post #124 of 141 (3316 views)
Shortcut

It's a combination. Video is mostly AC, but may have a DC offset.
Any chance of getting the scope's owner over to help show you?Cool

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Sep 20, 2009, 4:04 PM)

bogart219
User

Sep 21, 2009, 11:36 AM

Post #125 of 141 (3309 views)
Shortcut

"Any chance of getting the scope's owner over to help show you?"

Yeah, I got to work on that :)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.19 s on (CGI/1.1)