Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Projection TV Forum:
Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

nwbearcats98
New User

Dec 31, 2004, 10:55 PM

Post #26 of 126 (26476 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nwbearcats98] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

One more thing. Am I Michael J. Fox or something? I swear I am still in the year 2004 here in Kansas City, MO. I guess if I feel like going Back to the Future into 2005 before midnight hits tonight, I will come back on here.

later

J
15:58 CST 12/31/04 or is it?

travis33
New User

Jan 1, 2005, 11:15 PM

Post #27 of 126 (26440 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nwbearcats98] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
This really isn't specific to this TV, but if I have two coaxial cables ran to my tv box, can I have one go through the digital cable box and connect that box to the tv via DVI, then have the other coax cable go straight to the coax input of the TV to have PIP? My point is that I keep hearing you can't do PIP if you are using a digital cable box. Is my scenario the work around? Anyone???

thnx

Yes, you can do this. BUT:

-You can only view analogue channels through the coax (~1-77)

-If you are having your audio go through a reciever, you will need to change the audio source on the reciever in order to hear the two different pictures.

IMO, if you have a home theater, it gets to be more trouble than its worth to utilize PIP this way.

BTW, I do have the cable split in the way you described. I do this because analogue channels look much better if you bypass the cable box. This is because The TV's A>D converter works better than the cable box's A>D converter. You also have to go through the audio output on the TV to the reciever because it will be out of sync if you usethe cable audio out.

RFALGOUT
New User

Jan 3, 2005, 4:41 PM

Post #28 of 126 (26354 views)
Shortcut
Re: [travis33] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

Travis,

I saw in a previous thread that you have and recommend the Zenith DVB318 DVD player. I have the TV now, and want a newer DVD player. What is the deal with the new DVB318 players not upconverting thru the component out. I plan an hooking up the DVD thru component out, and do not want to buy a model that won't do it. I have read you can download a patch and turn it in to an older LG version, but can you explain why all this is necessary.

travis33
New User

Jan 3, 2005, 6:59 PM

Post #29 of 126 (26338 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RFALGOUT] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Travis,

I saw in a previous thread that you have and recommend the Zenith DVB318 DVD player. I have the TV now, and want a newer DVD player. What is the deal with the new DVB318 players not upconverting thru the component out. I plan an hooking up the DVD thru component out, and do not want to buy a model that won't do it. I have read you can download a patch and turn it in to an older LG version, but can you explain why all this is necessary.

The DVB318 was originally intended to have upconverting (UC) on DVI out, but a glitch in the design made it UC through DVI and CO. Only the models built after Dec. 2003 were "fixed" by only UC through DVI. This "fix" also included a problem of "white crush", or the inability for the DVD to accurately define heavy white areas (snowy sceans seem to blend together). This is a good thing, but it is really not very noticable of a fix. If you can find a player online with a build date of Dec. 2003 or sooner, you would be all set (the build date is on the outside of the box, so a CSR should be able to tell you).

It's been a while since I've been reading about this player, so I'm not too sure about the patch. The patch is probably a zip file that you burn onto a DVD that will change the firmware back to that of the pre-2004 production models.

I reallly love this DVD player, especially for the money. Another option you might want to concider is a Denon 1910. This is pretty much the same thing.

-Denon is a little more reputable

-The 1910 is a little more $$

-One major advantage of the Zenith is you can zoom the picture to fill the entire screen with great control. You pick how much you want to stretch the height or width. (BTW, most DVDs still have leterboxes on the top and bottom). The Zentih will also play 4x3 DVD (like TV-shows) in their native format (which can be stretched if you like) and I believe the Dennon gives you now choice but to stretch it.

-I almost forgot, but I think the Dennon only UCs over DVI. So, this may not work for you.

I would ask these stores of the buid date:

http://froogle.google.com/...b=ff&oi=froogler

Good Luck.

akarasin
New User

Jan 3, 2005, 7:07 PM

Post #30 of 126 (26334 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RFALGOUT] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

I am using the Zenith E44W46LCD with Time Warner Cable. I have a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8000HD digital personal video recorder cable converter. Does anyone know a program code to allow the TV's remote control to control the PVR features (e.g. pause live TV)? Right now I have to use the cabke box remote for PVR features, but the TV remote for switching inputs, PIP, etc. It would be nice to get rid of the cable remote control entirely.

Also, thanks for all those who have posted their settings, etc. I have used them to setup my set with little effort. I currently have the cable box hooked up via Component 1, and a coax cable going into the coax input for analog channels. I run my home theater off the Component 2 input, and the VCR off the RCA inputs. Not being a true audio-phile, the picutres all look great to me.

Thanks,
Alan

travis33
New User

Jan 3, 2005, 7:32 PM

Post #31 of 126 (26487 views)
Shortcut
Re: [akarasin] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Hi,

I am using the Zenith E44W46LCD with Time Warner Cable. I have a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8000HD digital personal video recorder cable converter. Does anyone know a program code to allow the TV's remote control to control the PVR features (e.g. pause live TV)? Right now I have to use the cabke box remote for PVR features, but the TV remote for switching inputs, PIP, etc. It would be nice to get rid of the cable remote control entirely.

Also, thanks for all those who have posted their settings, etc. I have used them to setup my set with little effort. I currently have the cable box hooked up via Component 1, and a coax cable going into the coax input for analog channels. I run my home theater off the Component 2 input, and the VCR off the RCA inputs. Not being a true audio-phile, the picutres all look great to me.

Thanks,
Alan

Check the TV manual for your cable box remote code. However, you might not be able to control your "guide" of your cable box.

You run your HT off Comp2 input????

(This post was edited by travis33 on Jan 3, 2005, 7:34 PM)

jrn1023
New User

Jan 4, 2005, 5:41 AM

Post #32 of 126 (26446 views)
Shortcut
Re: Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

Could anyone out there with access to their service menu help me out? I'd like to know what you have for settings in the Contrast section. This is the section which allows you to change contrast in the PIP main and sub-windows. I changed these settings and want to set them back but neglected to write down those settings before changing them. If anyone could look up these settings and either PM me or reply, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jim

bgoff
New User

Jan 4, 2005, 2:36 PM

Post #33 of 126 (26431 views)
Shortcut

I have the Zenith 44" RP-LCD AND the Zenith DVB318 DVD player. KICK BUTT! I have my DVD connected directly to the TV via DVI. There is a software patch (Link to follow...) that will address the UC features working via DVI AND COMPONENT! You burn the .bin file onto a CD-R and then toss it in the DVD player and it auto recognizes the disc and installs the new firmware. (NOTE: It also re-brands your zenith to an LG unit - so much the better...Tongue) If you do no like the results - which i do - you can downgrade it back to the original firmware by re-installing toe older firmware. The newer firmware makes it so you can upscale through DVI and component

LINK: http://www.keohi.com/...dv7832_firmware.html

geopolitics
New User

Jan 5, 2005, 8:04 AM

Post #34 of 126 (26363 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lcdtv] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there, I returned my first one because the S-Video inputs on the side and back were not picking up a signal (tried camcorder, DVD player, etc). No problem, BB exchanged it. Odd enough, when I took the second set home, it was still in the factory wrap but had finger smudges on the screen and cabinet. Refurbished?? Anyway, this set is working ok so far. However I am discouraged and I read some of the previous threads so far (excellent by the way), and I still can't understand why you can't stretch SD. I have a Dish Network HD 811 attached via component cables. I have the 811 and the TV set to 16:9, which is fine for HD broadcasts, but with SD there is approximately 2 inches of vertical black running on both sides of the picture. I tried the other ratios (Zoom 1,2,etc) and it only made it worse. Any advise? Secondly, on the HD 811, the picture that fills the screen the most in the horizontal vector comes when the HD is set at 480p, if I change it to 720p or 1080i, the picture just gets smaller and smaller. What the heck? Last thing, knowledge is power, and I feel weak right now. Thanks

Indy-tv
New User

Jan 5, 2005, 1:30 PM

Post #35 of 126 (26356 views)
Shortcut
Re: [geopolitics] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
and I still can't understand why you can't stretch SD. I have a Dish Network HD 811 attached via component cables.

I do not own an 811 and have zero experience with one, but my guess is that you have the 811 set up for a 16x9 format TV and the 811 is creating the bars. Try setting the 811 for a 4x3 tv and then stretching the picture using the TV. This works for my Samsung STB.

nwbearcats98
New User

Jan 5, 2005, 5:12 PM

Post #36 of 126 (26343 views)
Shortcut
Re: [akarasin] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Also, thanks for all those who have posted their settings, etc. I have used them to setup my set with little effort. I currently have the cable box hooked up via Component 1, and a coax cable going into the coax input for analog channels. uI run my home theater off the Component 2 input,

So, can you full screen with sound the analog channels using the coax input (and vice-versa) or does it only let you use that input for PIP w/ no sound?

thnx

James

geopolitics
New User

Jan 5, 2005, 6:20 PM

Post #37 of 126 (26336 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Indy-tv] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey there, I appreciate your help. My 811 is set to 16:9 as is the TV. When I set the 811 to 4:3, the picture actually becomes more narrowed. I might be able to fix it if I enter the service menu (holding the menu button on the TV and remote simultaneously for 5 seconds, which works), but I am a little worried entering into this realm, and it will probably widen the HDTV broadcast (which fits the screen perfectly right now, it is only the SD which I can't stretch enough) too much that I will start losing the lateral edges of the picture. If you or anyone else has thought let me know. Thanks.

Haydon
New User

Jan 7, 2005, 10:54 PM

Post #38 of 126 (26213 views)
Shortcut
Palette reduction - Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

I've noticed patellte ruduction on this set (at least with analog inputs) -- it looks like its only displaying 256 colors.

Is this only with analog inputs, or does it persist with digital inputs?

raziel1319
New User

Jan 8, 2005, 3:46 AM

Post #39 of 126 (26193 views)
Shortcut
- Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

Just bought the set and fairly impressed...

some questions though..

the picture still looks kinda cloudy with monster component cables when using xbox and dvd player... is there any kind of tweaking fix that?

and the Zenith DVB318 is not available at any best buy right now... where else could it be found?

tnx

CASHFLOW
New User

Jan 9, 2005, 7:25 AM

Post #40 of 126 (26137 views)
Shortcut
Re: [raziel1319] - Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

Make sure you go into the Xbox settings and enable all of the high def settings so your getting the highest res possible(720p..1080i). Your progressive player should also have settings you will have to set to get the best pic possible.

bgoff
New User

Jan 9, 2005, 1:23 PM

Post #41 of 126 (26130 views)
Shortcut
Re: [raziel1319] - Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

The Zenith player can be found on line. I bought my here and the people were great to work with. This is also THE cheapest price I could find on the net after several HOURS of searching. It is BRAND NEW, NOT factory serviced and comes in a fresh, sealed box with s-video, component AND DVI cable included. GREAT UNIT.

Anyway, here is the link:

http://www.wholesaleconnection.com/...ls.aspx?product=3429

Mike G
New User

Jan 13, 2005, 8:53 AM

Post #42 of 126 (25966 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bgoff] - Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

Does anybody else have a problem using dvi, for example Im using a samsung-351 ota reciever and an AR dvi cable. when i watch HD everything is way darker and there are some blotchyness movement going on in the background on walls or peoples faces during some darker scenes. I switched to component that my xbox was using and the tones are normal(people dont look like they have self tanning lotion on) and the background blotchiness is gone are not that noticable. Why is this? I thought DVI is better than component especially for fixed pixel displays. Also will i get a better picture if i use a wideband component cable or is that just a sales pitch? Other than that I think the Tv is great. Although i had to take one back already because the first one developed a small bright circle that was visible during dark scenes.

travis33
New User

Jan 13, 2005, 3:28 PM

Post #43 of 126 (25956 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mike G] - Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Does anybody else have a problem using dvi, for example Im using a samsung-351 ota reciever and an AR dvi cable. when i watch HD everything is way darker and there are some blotchyness movement going on in the background on walls or peoples faces during some darker scenes. I switched to component that my xbox was using and the tones are normal(people dont look like they have self tanning lotion on) and the background blotchiness is gone are not that noticable. Why is this? I thought DVI is better than component especially for fixed pixel displays. Also will i get a better picture if i use a wideband component cable or is that just a sales pitch? Other than that I think the Tv is great. Although i had to take one back already because the first one developed a small bright circle that was visible during dark scenes.

It's probably because your picture settings aren't adjusted right for the DVI input. Each input has it's own settings, so you have to set them again while your in the DVI input.

Mike G
New User

Jan 14, 2005, 6:22 AM

Post #44 of 126 (25908 views)
Shortcut
Re: [travis33] - Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Travis for replying, what are your DVI picture settings so i can compare. Or if any body has any thoughts I'll appreciate them. Thanks.

travis33
New User

Jan 14, 2005, 2:06 PM

Post #45 of 126 (25906 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mike G] - Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Thanks Travis for replying, what are your DVI picture settings so i can compare. Or if any body has any thoughts I'll appreciate them. Thanks.

No problem.

I've noticed that when I use other's suggested settings from this BB, they don't look too great on my TV. If your settings for COMP 1 look good, you could just transfer them over to DVI. But, off the top of my head (I'm at work) my settings are:

Contrast 70

Brightness 73

color 53

Tint R3

Sharpness ~50

Temp Warm

(This post was edited by travis33 on Jan 14, 2005, 2:09 PM)

travis33
New User

Jan 14, 2005, 2:34 PM

Post #46 of 126 (25902 views)
Shortcut
Reducing SDE [In reply to] Can't Post

Here is a tip from "Neild" on another forum. He has done alot of experimenting with the service menu.

This reaaly worked great for me to reduce the SDE:

" OK here's something for people to try if they are getting the vertical lines:

Service menu
1. LCD Driver --> M62352 --> VDMID

.. just changing the value of VMID by 1 or 2 might fix this for you.

Mine was default 181, changing to anything greater or less than 181, I got all kinds of vertical lines. If I set it more than a dozen or so off default I got nasty blocky cubes too.

So for those with the vertical lines and willing to fiddle in the service menu, you could try tweaking the VMID value a little to see if you can get rid of the lines. " I set mine to 182, and it increased the brightness of the screen and also reduced the SDE. Try it at your own risk. See this forum on how to navigate through the service menu: http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/...wthread.php?p=120442

Haydon
New User

Jan 15, 2005, 9:46 PM

Post #47 of 126 (25831 views)
Shortcut
Re: [travis33] Reducing SDE [In reply to] Can't Post

-- PC output continued --

Though it starts out with a discussion of the service menu, it leads to a discussion about PC output quite a ways down.

http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/...dex.php/t-16212.html

Thanks to the information there, I'm now running at 1200x658, and it looks pretty damn good, with no overscan. The trick is to switch to RGB-DTV instead of RGB-PC.

Here's the post:

Ayjent
11-06-2004, 01:11 AM
Finally got a good picture with just a little overscan, but managable from my standpoint. In PowerStrip go to Display profiles -> Configure -> Advanced Timings -> Custom Resolutions and then copy and paste all of the bold below into powerstrip (paste using clipboard near bottom right corner):

PowerStrip timing parameters:
1200x658=1200,112,40,296,658,36,5,51,74160,7

Generic timing details for 1200x658:
HFP=112 HSW=40 HBP=296 kHz=45 VFP=36 VSW=5 VBP=51 Hz=60

You will need to restart and then repaste into powerstrip and it should work in RGB-DTV mode.

(This post was edited by Haydon on Jan 15, 2005, 9:49 PM)

newby
New User

Jan 17, 2005, 10:29 PM

Post #48 of 126 (25735 views)
Shortcut
Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks to all who have posted their information about this TV. I'll share my experience for other would be buyers. I was really excited about the look, price and size of this TV when I saw it. I paid $1,900 for the set at Best Buy and $399 for the service plan. I was told the service plan would cover the bulb replacement which would go out in about 3-4 years.

I brought the set home and it had verticle lines spaced about 3 inches apart. It had the lines no matter what I did and didn't hook up to it. It even had them when I just plugged the TV in. I'm in a new home that's grounded so I didn't figure that was the problem. So I took the set back and they delivered another. The new TV had the same exact vertical line problem.

After two failed attempts at the Zenith I went for the LG DLP 44" instead. Basically the same TV with better contrast ratio and DLP technology instead of LCD. The store mentioned they've had problems with others returning sets for the vertical line issue also. From what I gather, DLP has a better track record than LCD at this point. I'm sure everyone has their opinion on that. The LG was listed for $2,500. He knocked 10% off and I also got a $200 rebate and free delivery. So basically, I got that set for $2,050 and didn't get the service plan. After reading this forum I would not recommend the service plan for the bulb replacement. The bulbs now cost around $200 and you can replace them yourself.

The bottom line is that my experience with the Zenith was not good and I hope the LG with DLP will be better. I won't know until it's delivered.

Av8torjim
New User

Jan 18, 2005, 6:18 PM

Post #49 of 126 (25695 views)
Shortcut
Re: [newby] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
After two failed attempts at the Zenith I went for the LG DLP 44" instead. Basically the same TV with better contrast ratio and DLP technology instead of LCD.

The bottom line is that my experience with the Zenith was not good and I hope the LG with DLP will be better. I won't know until it's delivered.

Sorry to hear about your trouble with the Zenith. No offense intended, but saying an LCD and a DLP TV are basically the same TV is like saying an LP record and a CD are the same thing. They both do the same job, but do it in very different ways. Of course, they are similarly sized and probably have similar features, so I assume that's what you meant.

As for no luck with the "Zenith," it is an LG TV. It's just badged Zenith for the US market. In fact all of my universal remotes required an LG code to work.

It's strange that both sets had the exact same problem. Did you try a different room or outlet to make certain that there was no electrical interference or that the particular outlet was wired correctly? Check the polarity and the ground for the outlet. particularly if the new LG has similar issues. The fact that a house is new doesn't mean they wired it correctly.

My Zenith (same model) has performed flawlessly since I bought it about five weeks ago. The green tint issue can be resolved by adjusting with the picture settings. I haven't gotten into the service menu because I've been able to get a very nice picture without it. I haven't run my Digital Video Essentials DVD yet, but probably will when I have time.

Any shortcomings I've noticed are more a factor of the LCD technology, particularly the lack of true black. Overall, a great set for a great price.

newby
New User

Jan 19, 2005, 12:12 AM

Post #50 of 126 (25683 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Av8torjim] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the input back. I probably wasn't clear enough in my first message. I meant that the size and inputs etc were the same and didn't mean to imply LCD was the same as DLP. I did try the TVs in different rooms and different outlets all to no avail. If I still end up with the same problem with the LG, I'll know its not the TV.

Any advice on what to do after that if it is electrical?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.19 s on (CGI/1.1)