Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

mzag920
New User

Jan 20, 2005, 6:44 PM

Post #51 of 126 (25701 views)
Shortcut
Re: Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

I see a lot of people posting how much they paid for this set, as a guide for others as to what kind of bargain they can shoot for......it looks like most people are paying around 1900-2000......you should be able to get it less, at least at Best Buy. I bought this set about 4 weeks ago. At the time it was on sale for $1999 (down from $2299) They had a special "manager's sale" going on which knocked another 15% ($300) off. Plus it had a $200 gift card rebate. All told I paid $1699 plus got the 200 gift card.

Hope this helps others in their bargaining.

Haydon
New User

Jan 21, 2005, 2:53 AM

Post #52 of 126 (25683 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mzag920] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought I'd post... as happy as I am with my unit, which was an under-warranty swap-out for my failed CRT, I have to say if I had $2000, I think I saw something last night I'd rather have.

Walmart has its own brand (rebrand?) of electronics, called iLo. They have a 42" plasma for $1995 currently. If you can buy an extended warranty on it, it would be a much better buy, IMO. The plasma looked absolutely fantastic, and it was a flatpanel. It does have PC Input, though I was not able to get the details. The HD image being shown looked as good as good as what you'd expect from a high-quality flat-screen CRT (ie, Sony Trinitron)

(This post was edited by Haydon on Jan 21, 2005, 2:56 AM)

da1nonly
New User

Jan 21, 2005, 3:37 PM

Post #53 of 126 (25662 views)
Shortcut
Re: Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice to see that this forum has been up for so long.

Just wanted to know from anyone that has bought this tv (around the time this forum started - last year), how well the tv is performing now (what issues they have, what's good, what's bad).

I've heard good and bad things about the tv out of the box or after several weeks of owning it but I haven't heard from anyone who's had it for a long time.

So could anyone who's had this tv for longer than 5 months please respond.Smile (could you also note how long you've had it for?)

THANKS!

Av8torjim
New User

Jan 22, 2005, 10:08 PM

Post #54 of 126 (25611 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Haydon] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Walmart has its own brand (rebrand?) of electronics, called iLo. They have a 42" plasma for $1995 currently. If you can buy an extended warranty on it, it would be a much better buy, IMO. The plasma looked absolutely fantastic, and it was a flatpanel. It does have PC Input, though I was not able to get the details. The HD image being shown looked as good as good as what you'd expect from a high-quality flat-screen CRT (ie, Sony Trinitron)

At that price, I'd be amazed if it's really an HDTV. More likely it's an EDTV. They have a Tatung plasma EDTV for $1984 on their web site. Big difference between EDTV and HDTV, IMO.

New2HDTV
New User

Jan 31, 2005, 9:58 PM

Post #55 of 126 (25172 views)
Shortcut
Reminder-popping sound on ZENITH LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

OK, a few months ago on this thread back in Nov....(yes it has been a long thread) folks were discussing the occasional 'popping' sound and I never saw any resolution answers. I got a E44W46lcd for Christmas as a gift. It does occasionally (about 2 -3 times a night) have a small 'pop' sound and the volume drops to nothing, then returns slowly to normal in about 30 seconds. It was BB purchase from my older son, and I am wondering if I need to talk to Bestbuy, to Zenith, or what? What have you all ended up doing? Is there a fix from a DIY perspective? Some said it was just a cable, but this is both on my dish satellite AND the broadcast networks. I have a concern that it will go Pop one time and the sound will not come back at all. Has that happened to any longer term users? Does it eventually get better...(bet not)?

Any recommendations? It must be either a manufacturing flaw(manufacturers outsourced part defect perhaps) or a connection issue... It is sort of like when a capacitor builds up a charge then discharges and goes back to normal until the charge builds back up, then another discharge... I have only had it a month, and don't want to let it go until the story is unbelieveable if I go to the store and it is past the manuf. warranty. (I too agree that the purchased aftermarket warranties are crap...and the the biggest profit driver in Sears BB or any of these companies who push them... I work at a site that makes GE electric ranges, and you don't buy an extra warranty when you get the range. If it doesn't work, we fix it or replace it, and we have to fix or replace very few!)

Any help out there? Is it just that i need to get a replacement This is beginning to bug me, since it is an otherwise excellent unit, and very satisfactory, especially given the price! But, the price is tainted if the unit isn't as advertised, and no one advertised the popping sound! Cheers

emuck
New User

Jan 31, 2005, 11:03 PM

Post #56 of 126 (25546 views)
Shortcut
Re: [da1nonly] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

I have owned this Zenith tv since July 2004.It has worked perfectly every day.I have it connected to a Comcast cable Motorola DCT5100 digital box with RGB cables.I bought it "open box" at local BB. Paid $1999. plus got a $100. gift card in the mail.This is my second HD tv. It replaced a 43inch Hitachi crt HD rear projection tv that I had for three years,but had to sell when I moved.Some things I learned about big screen tvs and cable tv signals . Cable tv channels look different almost every day, even though they are digital. The signal can be weak or strong ,which affects the picture .A large screen tv with a bad signal seems to magnify all the picture flaws.A good HD signal looks spectacular.I did not buy the extended warranty. I had it on the Hitachi but never had to use it. Compared to the crt rear projection tv the picture quality is about the same ,with a slight edge to the lcd. Compare the size ,weight and style ,the Zenith wins hands down.

Indy-tv
New User

Feb 1, 2005, 1:58 PM

Post #57 of 126 (25509 views)
Shortcut
Re: [New2HDTV] Reminder-popping sound on ZENITH LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
OK, a few months ago on this thread back in Nov....(yes it has been a long thread) folks were discussing the occasional 'popping' sound and I never saw any resolution answers. I got a E44W46lcd for Christmas as a gift. It does occasionally (about 2 -3 times a night) have a small 'pop' sound and the volume drops to nothing, then returns slowly to normal in about 30 seconds. It was BB purchase from my older son, and I am wondering if I need to talk to Bestbuy, to Zenith, or what? What have you all ended up doing? Is there a fix from a DIY perspective? Some said it was just a cable, but this is both on my dish satellite AND the broadcast networks. I have a concern that it will go Pop one time and the sound will not come back at all. Has that happened to any longer term users? Does it eventually get better...(bet not)?

Unfortunately, I do not know of a solution to the popping. I had three different E44w46lcd sets in the first 30 days and all of them did this. Mine only occurs while watching cable. It does not occur when I use the HDTV STB, DVD player, or VCR. I can even use the VCR tuner to watch tv and it does not occur. My opinion is that the popping is either a engineering defect or the tuner is just really sensitive to a some glitch in the cable signal. (which I suppose could also be viewed as an engineering defect.) How do you have your satellite connected to the tv. I would think that you would not get the popping if you connect it through some sort of video input rather than using the co-ax. Another option I have found is to connect the TV audio to a stereo system. You will still hear the pop but the volume will not drop off for 30 seconds. (Much less annoying in my opinion.)

I have complained to Zenith on the tech support line and they just blamed it on the cable. Maybe if we all start calling about it they will get a clue and investigate the issue.

Other than the popping, I really like this TV. The HD picture is amazing. Even SD signals look good through my Samsung STB. The cable picture is just OK.

(This post was edited by Indy-tv on Feb 1, 2005, 1:59 PM)

New2HDTV
New User

Feb 1, 2005, 2:09 PM

Post #58 of 126 (25503 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Indy-tv] Reminder-popping sound on ZENITH LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

Indy-TV. Thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely try to isolate it further, and figure out a workaround to diminish the annoyance. At least I'll assume it won't die on me after the pop occurs. Regards!

lawgone
New User

Feb 1, 2005, 4:40 PM

Post #59 of 126 (25494 views)
Shortcut
Re: [emuck] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks so much for that post! I've been waiting for someone to review it that has had it for a significant amount of time, rather than just a couple weeks or a month. I'm glad to hear that it's working out well for you. I think I'm going to buy it without the extended warranty. I just can't justify spending $400 for a warranty on a $1800 television.

Indy-tv
New User

Feb 1, 2005, 9:43 PM

Post #60 of 126 (25477 views)
Shortcut
Re: [New2HDTV] Reminder-popping sound on ZENITH LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'll definitely try to isolate it further, and figure out a workaround to diminish the annoyance.

I have not tried to use a filter on the co-ax line, but that might be another option. If anyone finds a filter that works, please post the details here.

New2HDTV
New User

Feb 2, 2005, 3:38 PM

Post #61 of 126 (25439 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Indy-tv] Reminder-popping sound on ZENITH LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

Indy-TV- last night I set the TV to be viewed only through my Pioneer VCR/DVD player/recorder..and got NO popping, whether it was network or satellite channel...by the signal going in through the 'Component 1' hookup that i have the Pioneer hooked up to... So, there is this fix, and I suppose you could figure that the player is an expensive 'filter' Sly but it still works...now if I could find a similar real "in-line filter" to go in through the ant/cable input source, it would be even better....but for now, thanks for your expertise!

My 'popping sound' headache Frown may not be gone but it is indeed neutralized. Appreciate the sleuthing on this small P.I.T.A. glitch with an otherwise great product.

new2HD
New User

Feb 4, 2005, 6:14 AM

Post #62 of 126 (25360 views)
Shortcut
Re: [emuck] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

i see youve had this LCD for a while, how does it show sports? (football, bBall) etc. in standard (Non-HD)format? Ive heard the pixel blur is terrible. Also has anyone heard of the (E44W48LCD) model? The Zenith website shows the exact same specs, only difference is the color of the box around the screen, 46 is silver and 48 is black? any info? Will be connecting to a standard DISH sys for now, might upgrade sooner if pic isnt watchable.

emuck
New User

Feb 4, 2005, 8:16 PM

Post #63 of 126 (25327 views)
Shortcut
Re: [new2HD] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

I use the horizon setting for the aspect ratio when watching normal non HD shows. The tv automatically switches to 16:9 HD mode when it detects the HD signal. As I said earlier the picture is only as good as the signal going in. Live sports always look very good in analog and outstanding in HD.I don`t see any problems with the analog picture. I live in south Florida and Comcast is new here and there is a lot of tweeking and service changes going on .The tv works perfectly . Any problems people are having with the picture is probably caused by what is connected to it.

Indy-tv
New User

Feb 9, 2005, 1:53 AM

Post #64 of 126 (25188 views)
Shortcut

New2HDTV - Have you contacted Zenith on the popping sound? Over the weekend I tried connecting an antenna directly to the TV. The TV popped. That tells me that the popping sound has nothing to do with cable since it popped with an antenna too. It must be a defect with the tuner circuitry. I really think we should all start complaining to Zenith. I would like to know how many others are having this problem. It only occurs if you are using the internal tuner so those who have a digital STB or a satellite tuner that are connected to component or composite inputs will not notice the problem.

All those having a problem, please reply to this post. I want to have an idea of how wide spread this is before I call Zenith and complain about this problem for a second time.

(This post was edited by Indy-tv on Feb 9, 2005, 1:56 AM)

New2HDTV
New User

Feb 9, 2005, 2:45 PM

Post #65 of 126 (25171 views)
Shortcut

No I haven't. Since we are viewing through the DVD/VCR tuner, the problem is virtually non-existent so I had planned to live with it...as we have no other problems...Although I agree... If it seems to be very widespread (and from the input here it does) then I'll join the complaint group..Do you have an email address that we could all use if we have the problem? We can start annoying them today! Thanks.

Indy-tv
New User

Feb 10, 2005, 2:37 AM

Post #66 of 126 (25144 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Do you have an email address that we could all use if we have the problem? We can start annoying them today! Thanks.

I don't have an e-mail address, but there is a link to contact Customer Support at http://www.zenithservice.com/. There is also a toll free number if you want to call. That is how I contacted them last time.

wmowens
New User

Feb 10, 2005, 3:35 PM

Post #67 of 126 (25128 views)
Shortcut
Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

I purchased the Zenith E44W46LCD just a couple of weeks ago from Best Buy. I have it connected to a Comcast dual tuner HDTV DVR. So far I am very pleased with the quality of the set when viewing HDTV signals. I'm currently using the component connections and plan to purchase the DVI cable and test this weekend.

The forum was a great help to me in making my purchase decision as well as negotiating with Best Buy. I was able to get the sale price, plus the free TIVO as advertised on bestbuy.com and the 36 months 0% financing.

The picture quality of the set when displaying analog or non-HDTV digital signals is what I would have expected. It's unfortunate that the stores selling HDTV tend to only demonstrate with HDTV signals and never allow a prospect to see what should be expected with showing standard signals. I'm fortunate in my area to have ABC, CBS, NBC and the local FOX network all available via Comcast in HDTV.

I found that the 44" screen is the perfect size based on the furniture layout in my room. I am approximately 12' from the screen and do not believe a larger set would have worked in my space. Based on the price paid for this set, I found it to be the best value for the size.

edtv
New User

Mar 4, 2005, 10:58 PM

Post #68 of 126 (24558 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wmowens] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm pretty satisfied with this set, too. The size is perfect. However, I have only noticed a handful of postings on the screendoor effect. I'm surprised more haven't complained about it. Have you people discovered some settings that minimized the effect?

tomso
New User

Mar 8, 2005, 8:50 PM

Post #69 of 126 (24448 views)
Shortcut
Re: [edtv] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

I am always surprised when I see someone mention SDE on this set. I can honestly say that I have never seen any SDE on the set since the first time I turned it on. How close are you sitting? Maybe my eyes are just no sensitive to SDE, but I can sit two feet in front and still see no such thing.

One thing that I am convinced of after reading many posts about this TV is that they come out of the factory with different settings in the service menu. Maybe I just got lucky in that mine was very well calibrated.

Indy-tv
New User

Mar 11, 2005, 7:02 PM

Post #70 of 126 (24371 views)
Shortcut

New2HDTV,

Have you contacted Zenith about your popping sound yet? I started with an e-mail to customer support and their response said I should call technical support. I talked with Tech support and was told that I need to have the unit serviced. I explained that others have had this problem in other parts of the country and that the problem may be more of a design related issue rather than a defect with my TV. I was told that nothing further can be done until a service technician looks at it.

I guess I will call a service center next. I hope they can service it in the house and don't have to take it in to the shop.

New2HDTV
New User

Mar 14, 2005, 5:59 PM

Post #71 of 126 (24307 views)
Shortcut

Since your recommendation that I go through the VCR/DVD recorder (and I am getting in via the Comp 1 leads) I have had no issues. Once in a rare while, I have a "POP" and realize that somehow it has gone back to Cable/Antenna mode, so I just push the Comp 1 button and we are good. Anyway, having bypassed the problem, I choose to let sleeping dogs lie. I do agree with you that there is a design error of some type, and Zenith darn well knows it..As I am sure there are many others who have complained. like you, and they possibly figure most people will do as I have, figure out a workaround and live with it.. ..They need a filter in line somewhere...BUT I do think they will need to take your unit in, and there is not enough grief for me to permit them to take my unit in. I applaude your aggressive stance to get it fixed, and in the end, I hope that you aren't tilting at windmills... But No, I haven't called anyone. Regards, SR

Zinji
New User

Mar 21, 2005, 9:51 PM

Post #72 of 126 (24149 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lcdtv] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

I just read the first couple of pages and last couple of pages of this thread so forgive me if this has been mentioned before. I bought this set last July at Best Buy. I've been pretty pleased with it although I do get the screen door effect. It is very lightweight and a good size - not completely flat but not a monster either. I still do not have a HDTV reciever yet so I just watch standard signals (DirecTV and a DVD player). During the last couple of months I noticed a blue-hued line developed across the bottom of the screen. A little later a green-hued line developed above the blue line.

I called Zenith and they gave me a number for a local serviceman. He came out said problem was the light engine in the TV. I asked him what can cause it and he just said it was too complex to explain. It is still under warranty, but he said it would've cost $1700 to fix otherwise and advised getting an extended warranty. I did not get one from Best Buy when I bought the TV because I simply could not afford any more money than what I paid for the TV. I have looked at Zenith's website and they do not offer extended warranties on their large LCD TVs.

Anyone have a similar problem? I'm wondering wether I'll be shelling out $1700 to have this fixed again in the future.

Brad1955
New User

Mar 24, 2005, 8:14 PM

Post #73 of 126 (24066 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Zinji] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm having the same problem!

I bought this set last September at Best Buy. Earlier this week - I also started seeing a blue-hued line (about 1-2 inches thick) across the bottom of the screen. As of now, I don't have the green-hued line - but I suppose that will be next. I called Zenith and the local serviceman won't be here until March 30th to look at it. Assuming my serviceman tells me the same thing (that it is a problem with the light engine and would cost $1700 to fix outside of the warranty) - even if you could get extended warranty (depending on the cost), it's probably still cheaper to just dump this thing and buy something else. It would be a waste of money to pay $1700 to fix a set I only paid $1999.

We should keep in touch. I am wondering if we have any possibility of returning our sets to Best Buy and expecting a refund towards another set under our State's "lemon law" protection. I might be calling my state attorney general on this one. It can't be legal to have you pay $1999 + tax for a TV that only lasts 6-9 months. My last TV set lasted 15 years!

vlad
New User

Apr 14, 2005, 6:37 PM

Post #74 of 126 (23629 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Brad1955] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

Just to let you know guys, I bought my TV in late Nov 2004, by January, I had a golf ball sized green spot on it, very visible in dark scenes. I've been hassling with this since January and have had nothing done so far, just excuses and other crap from BestBuy. Glad I paid all that money for the extended warranty.

But the thing I wanted to say is Brad Anderson is the CEO of Best Buy, I emailed that guy directly. Some corporate customer service guy contacted me and didn't really help much either, but the more we hammer these guys and bother the CEO the better off we are. Oh, and to let you know, I'm not one of those ppl that complain all the time for no reason, I emailed him because the local repair shop manager they had me working with cursed me out on the phone after his guy showed up at my place with the excuse "sorry, I didn't realize I would need TOOLS to fix your TV, I didn't bring my tools." What the hell kind of repairman doesn't have tools with him at all time? Did he think he was going to use the force to fix it? Anyway, you should try emailing them and letting them know of your dissatisfaction, just to make them aware of it.

In Reply To

dauger
New User

May 13, 2005, 12:20 AM

Post #75 of 126 (23175 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vlad] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

Check this thread for the green spot: http://www.tv-forums.com/cgi-bin/gforum.cgi?post=9730&t

I've got it too, but i haven't had it fixed yet. Post results if you have it fixed please.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.19 s on (CGI/1.1)