Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Projection TV Forum:
Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

redrum
New User

Oct 21, 2005, 3:17 PM

Post #101 of 126 (24894 views)
Shortcut
Re: [travis33] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

No, I did not get them - Email me directly at gjohnsen@verizon.net

travis33
New User

Oct 22, 2005, 5:15 PM

Post #102 of 126 (24879 views)
Shortcut
Re: [redrum] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

email sent

travis33
New User

Oct 26, 2005, 2:28 PM

Post #103 of 126 (24842 views)
Shortcut
Re: [redrum] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

pm sent

TriodeGuy
New User

Nov 2, 2005, 12:47 AM

Post #104 of 126 (24784 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LG_Guru] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

Roger, I'm the fellow who sent you an email earlier today (Chuck R.). It's been a couple of weeks since your last post. Could you please post a follow up on your findings? Also you mentioned being in "Huntsville". Would you happen to mean Huntsville, AL? This happens to be my locale. It was the repair shop on Bob Wallace that turned me down. Any chance of getting my set fixed?

Thanks, Chuck

LG_Guru
New User

Nov 2, 2005, 3:28 PM

Post #105 of 126 (24887 views)
Shortcut
Post deleted by LG_Guru [In reply to]

TriodeGuy
New User

Nov 7, 2005, 5:34 PM

Post #106 of 126 (24826 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LG_Guru] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for responding Roger. It's good to know there are people like youself out there trying to help people resolve their problems.

I Just wanted to post a followup. After finding my receipt from Best Buy I discovered that I had purchased the 4 year extended warranty and had forgotten about it. I decided to try to go thru Best Buy for the repair work. Best Buy arranged to have the set picked up last Friday and my TV is now at the repair shop. Right now i'm just waiting to hear back from them so we'll see how it goes.

pvn100
New User

Nov 15, 2005, 3:09 AM

Post #107 of 126 (24762 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TriodeGuy] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

This is my second Zenith set. The first set developed the blue line at the bottom after about 8 months. I was screwed pretty much, because I had not bought the warranty. As it turns out, my wife knew someone at Best Buy who helped us out and long story short, we got a new one with the extended warranty.

ROGER- two questions. Where is this second filter you mention on the bottom of the set? Can you be more specific? Kind of ticks me off that Zenith never mentions this anywhere in the manual.

Second, are you able to explain the popping sound that alot of us have been getting?

Note: I just read that Consumer reports still recommends against extended warranties EXCEPT for two items:

1) LCD, DLP Plasma TV's

2) Large Treadmills

I'm keeping my fingers crossed with this TV. Can't help but be a little concerned about its future.

Pete

kg6c
New User

Nov 17, 2005, 3:23 AM

Post #108 of 126 (24717 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pvn100] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

I am new to this forum, this is awesome. But I am totally discouraged whether to buy this 44 inch Zenith or not. BB is giving me an open box one for $950 and $400 for the 4 year plan . For a total of $1350. Please please advise me, should I buy this or not. Also if you were to do this all over again, would you buy this set or would you buy something else.

Thanks....

redrum
New User

Nov 17, 2005, 3:48 AM

Post #109 of 126 (24714 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kg6c] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I am new to this forum, this is awesome. But I am totally discouraged whether to buy this 44 inch Zenith or not. BB is giving me an open box one for $950 and $400 for the 4 year plan . For a total of $1350. Please please advise me, should I buy this or not. Also if you were to do this all over again, would you buy this set or would you buy something else.

Thanks....

Hi , Welcome to the forum....

I would in all sincerity buy something else. This television has been riddled with problems. For one thing, I would NEVER IMHO EVER buy an open box television, (it was returned for a reason), plus the set has been discontinued for some time now. Second, unless you go into the service menu, (which can be done with a regular remote), you dont know how many hours that are on the bulb. Third, the set has been plagued with green push, crop circle, and blue line issues. Fourth, Best Buy does not know how to service the set, you will be waiting for MONTHS for parts.

For the price of the set plus the amount you are going to pay for the warranty, you can close to buying a NEW Panasonic or Sony model.

Best Of Luck !!!Smile

kg6c
New User

Nov 17, 2005, 4:11 AM

Post #110 of 126 (24712 views)
Shortcut

Thanks, appreciate the sincere advice. In that price range would you recommend??

Thanks again.....

travis33
New User

Nov 17, 2005, 7:07 PM

Post #111 of 126 (24701 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

RUN from this model! Right now, my refund check ($1899) is in the mail from LG for this set. I replaced this set with the new Sony 50" A10 (LCD) for $2100. It is like night and day. More vibrant colors, almost no SDE, very good blacks, no green push (or any push). Sony also offers a 42" model of the A10 which can be had for $1600 if you hit a sale right. These Sony sets are considered one of the best (IMO THE BEST) 720p RP TV made today. This includes all RP TVs (CRT, DLP, LCD, HD-ILA).

Good luck, Travis

redrum
New User

Nov 20, 2005, 4:25 AM

Post #112 of 126 (24662 views)
Shortcut

Replaced the Zenith with the 42 in Sony A10. Paid in the 1600 range. AM TOTALLY PLEASED with the new set . Travis, glad to see the check is in the mail

bmc4926
New User

Nov 27, 2005, 7:55 PM

Post #113 of 126 (24585 views)
Shortcut

Does anyone know if the overheating problem that the Zenith LCD TV is being descibed as having also effect the LG RU-44SZ63D 44" DLP TV? Does the DLP TV have the same filters that were described in a previous post as well? If so, where are they located so I can clean them.

Thaks for any and all help.

travis33
New User

Nov 28, 2005, 2:36 AM

Post #114 of 126 (24579 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bmc4926] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

Check out this forum for LG DLPs. It's in Australia, and I've read alot of info from them on LG DLP issues. The link probably isn't exactly what your looking for, but do a search and I think you'll find your answers (I would, but I'm exceptionally lazy). I found alot of info on LG's return policy in this forum. Good luck.

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=246

playball
New User

Dec 28, 2005, 11:42 PM

Post #115 of 126 (24264 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TriodeGuy] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi All,

I am a new member and it's refreshing to finnally find a forum like this one for issues on the E44W46LCD TV. I responded to Roger's email regarding the blue and green rainbow line and a picture that is not as crisp as before. I replied to Roger and he sent me the pdf on the optic drive . Thanks Roger. I have made calls to BB, Zenith, and LG for some help regarding the over heating issue when it does not state in the owners manual under maintenance to make sure that you clean the filter. anyways, I am very frustrated with the service from all the above run arounds that I recieved to get this issue resolved. Unfortunately, I did not get the extended service warranty (My Bad) but did not expect this to happen. Still tryig to workk the system and am thinking about looking at the BBB site to see whats there. I will be visiting this forum frequently now just to see if anyone has made any progess to see if there will be a recall on this particular LCD TV.

Av8torjim
New User

Jan 7, 2006, 4:44 PM

Post #116 of 126 (24003 views)
Shortcut
Re: [playball] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

Just wanted to report that I had the green/blue line issue and e-mailed Roger. He called within 30 minutes! I was still under factory warranty by a couple of weeks so he gave me the 800 number to LG service. They lined up the local repair call and the set was gone overnight. They replaced the light engine and returned the set the next morning. The line was gone, but the infamous green dot was there. One call to the local service guy and he came back and got the set last night. I will report the end result.

I also wanted to say that I feel that I've gotten the best customer service from Roger and LG that I've ever gotten from any company. The LG service rep even called to make sure the local repair shop had fixed the problem.

By the way, the manual DOES say that you need to replace or clean the filter every 1 to 3 months. It's on page 7 at the top of the page. It makes sense to put it there because that's the page that explains the rear of the set, where the filter is located. I agree that they could have made it more conspicuous, particularly if it could cause a major problem if ignored. Then again, didn't anyone wonder why they gave you 2 extra filters? I think it's a little unfair to slam LG when it appears that the problem is at least partially ours for not following the instructions. Would a car manufacturer replace your car if you ignored the oil change recommendations and drove the car for 60,000 miles without an oil change before the engine seized? Just something to think about.

podrouzek
New User

Jan 23, 2006, 2:15 AM

Post #117 of 126 (23877 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Av8torjim] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

Same here.. I bought this TV 11 months ago... And just starting to notice the blue line on the bottomMad. I guess I am lucky. I bought extended warranty

ZENITH!
New User

Feb 2, 2006, 11:12 PM

Post #118 of 126 (23773 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Av8torjim] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

AAHHHHHH!!!

There…I'm glad I got that out….Let me tell you guys a little story about my experience with Zenith televisions…

Yes, I have the huge 44" crystal clear rear projection LCD everyone seems to be talking about. I purchased mine almost a year ago to date, and I was in television ecstasy, at least for a while.

MAJOR PROBLEM 1:

About 4 weeks after my first major TV purchase, a strange green circle mysteriously appeared about 6" from the top, and 6" from the right side of the screen. However, the circle of aggravation was noticeable only when the backdrop was dark, so I decided to live with it…

MAJOR PROBLEM 2:

6 months down the road I find myself showing off my high definition gaming graphics to some buddies when one points out a slight blue haze at the bottom of the screen…At first I tried to repress the memory of the haze eating away at the $1600 I still owe to Best Buy, but inevitable, the line returns, stronger, and brighter each day…

MAJOR PROBLEM 3:

5 minutes later as my friends are taunting my seemingly uninformed decision to buy a high definition Yugo, we are still all impressed with the televisions ability to produce stunning images on standard cable channels. At this point, I have my Yamaha surround sound and 10'' sub providing us with an incredible surround sound effect, when low and behold, this piece of !@#$ lets out an explosive static discharge that can only be described as an electronic excretion of pure hell! The sound cripples any enjoyment we might have experienced through my $3000 home theatre system…

With each passing day, the three problems become a part of my everyday home theatre experience as I embarrassingly explain all the quirks of the lemon I sill owe a ton of $ on…

So - What did I do? - I called Zenith and explained the situation, and all the reviews I've read of people experiencing the same thing I have, and like every rationale consumer, demanded my money back, and challenged them to recall the set, before anyone else is duped into wasting their money…

So - What was there response? - Sir, we can't return your money because of internet reviews. (The condescension of the practiced, well rehearsed feedback made me feel very angry…there, I said it)

I have a tech coming to the house to look at it this week (allegedly), but I haven't heard from them yet.

Thus, I submit this plea…This set should be recalled. Who designs a television with a useful life of 6 months? Hey…Great…I'm still under warranty…Until the useful life of my serviced set runs out in another 6 months…

All I want to know is….Who's comin' with me?

playball
New User

Feb 3, 2006, 2:01 AM

Post #119 of 126 (23768 views)
Shortcut
Re: [podrouzek] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

podrouzek,

Let us know how they fixed your problem, I am curious to see how it would cost. I haven't repaired my set yet and was curious on the $$$.

playball

emuck
New User

Feb 4, 2006, 6:11 PM

Post #120 of 126 (23753 views)
Shortcut
Re: [playball] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

I have owned this Zenith tv for18 months .The picture has always been great. I clean the filter about every 6 weeks. The blue line at the bottom of the picture just showed up last week. I called LG service. They are sending an LG factory service rep out next week,not the local service company. They told me on the phone that it was a defective light engine. Even though it is out of warranty they will replace it for free. I`am very satisified with thier customer service .The problem is,will it happen again in another 18 months? I have decided to give away or sell this set after it is repaired.I do not need or want an unreliable product in my home.After the problem with this set, I will be ruling out any rear projection tv as a replacement.Too many weak spots.Bulbs ,filters, mirrors ,light engines, etc.

swlayton
New User

Feb 6, 2007, 9:21 PM

Post #121 of 126 (21938 views)
Shortcut
Re: [travis33] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

I have lived with the green dot mentioned elsewhere in this thread, even after having the light engine replaced 2 months after I bought the set. I've owned the set for two years now and in the last four months have discovered a predominant blue hue in a concentrated area of the screen that has grown to be about an 8 inches wide area extending from the top to the bottom of the TV. Having read this thread, I decided to email LG customer service hoping that they would 'offer' to help. After all, I don't think that a $2000 TV should last only two years and the potential 'fix' be to replace the light engine that cost more than what I could buy a new television for today. Here is LG's response to my email:
Thank you for inquiring of Zenith Electronics. Please accept our sincere apology for the problem you have encountered with your ___. Quality is a top priority at LG and we are proud to stand behind our products and are always more than happy to do all that we can for you. We constantly strive for better ways of keeping maintenance to a minimum. Despite the most exacting quality control standards at the factory, occasional failures can occur. The manufacturer’s limited warranty is designed to take care of any failures in the early life of the unit. We encourage feedback from our customers and continuously strive to improve our products and our service. Please feel free to contact us with any additional questions or concerns. Thank you again for contacting LG Electronics. Neil E-mail Administrator Customer Interactive Center LGEAI
Thanks for nothing!!!!! Can anybody out there help? I've heard mention of Roger having been a helpful point of contact. Anybody know his forum name or contact information? I would be inclined to put the TV out to the curb and purchase a new TV (not an LG) before I proceed spending $1500 + to fix this one. Thanks

TriodeGuy
New User

Feb 10, 2007, 10:50 PM

Post #122 of 126 (21903 views)
Shortcut
Re: [swlayton] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

LoL! Hey, just went back to review some of Roger's posts and it looks like he's deleted them all! I was kind of wondering how long "helpful Roger" would remain helpful!Sly

It sounds like you've been plauged by the dreaded blue line issue that myself and others had. I know exactly the frustration your going through...

Roger sent me a copy of a pdf file that describes/illustrates the repair process for this problem in detail. Email me and I'll be happy to send it to you. I never had to do the process myself since I had purchased the 4yr warranty (and forgot that I had). It really doesn't look too complicated or scary. If your good with your hands at all you could probably give it a shot. Alternatively, you could go to a repair tech with the manual and ask for a quote for doing the procedure. Be sure to stress to the tech that this does NOT require the replacement of the light engine.

My email address...

chkrickt@comcast.net

-Chuck

TriodeGuy
New User

Mar 3, 2007, 8:29 PM

Post #123 of 126 (21734 views)
Shortcut

Wanted to post a follow up to my post above because it occured to me that Roger's deletion of his posts might leave people in the dark about the cause of the blue line issue...

The line is caused by a lens (possibly two) that shifts out of place due to gradual warping of their plastic mounts that the lenses sit in. This occurs due to heat build up in the unit. Roger a.k.a LGGuru (an LG employee) had speculated that this occurs due to folks not cleaning the filters on the back and bottom of the unit on a regular basis. (The TV's manual really doesn't stress the importance of this). Initially he had offered to help folks trying to obtain warranty repair work but has apparently dropped his support.

The "fix" given in the pdf file gives step by step instructions for the tear-down on the set and shimming the lens so that the problem doesn't recur. Anyone attempting this fix should probably read MikeMaierTV's post above. He has actually done this fix (I haven't) and it sounds like it may be neccessary to shim two lenses instead of just one for optimum performance.

Hope all this helps -Chuck

(This post was edited by TriodeGuy on Mar 4, 2007, 1:18 AM)

swlayton
New User

Mar 9, 2007, 5:14 PM

Post #124 of 126 (21832 views)
Shortcut

FYI for anyone reading this thread......I recently learned that there are actually already two class
actions recently filed in federal court in New Jersey against Zenith and
LG about these issues. The first case was filed on November 22,
2006. Plaintiffs lawyers are Pinilis Halpern of NJ, Lax and Associates
of NYC, the Sobelsohn Law Firm of LA, Lange & Koncius of LA, and the
Herskowitz Law Firm of Miami. The other case was filed on January 4,

kojieson
New User

Sep 19, 2007, 9:26 PM

Post #125 of 126 (20902 views)
Shortcut
Re: [swlayton] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

Anyone have any further information regarding these class action lawsuits?
The Herskowitz Law Firm of Miami has listed the following on their website under their history of recent success:
"$15,000,000.00* Class Action - Product Defect - a manufacturer sold televisions to the public with defective parts and failed to repair or replace the televisions. (*value of class recovery)"
The link is http://herskowitzlaw.com/history.html.
I had purchased my E44W46LCD in August of 2004. My light engine had to be replaced 8 months later in June of 2005 because of the horizontal stripes at the top and bottom. It has been over 2 years since the replacement light engine and now I've got the blue blob with a few green golf ball sized dots. Obviously my warrenty is long since expired. In an ideal world we'd all get our money back for this piece of sh*t TV. Anyone have any tips or suggestions on getting this problem fixed yet again but not under warranty?? I don't know why this TV was never recalled. Probably the only reason is because it hasn't injured someone directly. Let me tell you that if this doesn't get fixed someone at LG/Zenith will be getting injured directly as a result of this poorly executed piece of technology. Anyone else still having issues with their TV sets?? Oh and to add insult to injury I paid $3000 canadian dollars for it in August 04 and by October 04 it was selling for half the price. Talk about a kick in the a$$! Thanks in advance for any help on this matter.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.22 s on (CGI/1.1)