Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Projection TV Forum:
Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

vlad
New User

May 16, 2005, 1:31 PM

Post #76 of 126 (22732 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dauger] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

I just got it fixed recently. For me it had zero to do with dust on the mirror. The mirror hands upside down at the angle of the back of the box, so dust really can't settle on it. From what I was explained, little "burn ins" form on the prisms in the light engine and thats what causes the green spots. you basically have to get the light engine replaced, which he did (mind you with refurbished parts from zenith) but now its working fine. if you do get it fixed make sure the repairman doesn't touch the mirror or get it smudged up, it will screw the reflection and picture up. it won't show up on dark images, but anything bright and you will see finger prints and oily looking marks on your screen. since I didn't want to wait on the guy again (repairmen always suck, I literally called about 50 seconds after he left to let him know of this problem and they said I had to reschedule in a week(and take another day off of work) and I had my Mavericks playoff game I just opened the thing and cleaned the mirror with windex myself. That fixed it. This whole process took me over three months, so get going today. good luck.

goblue83
New User

Jun 13, 2005, 6:17 PM

Post #77 of 126 (22332 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Brad1955] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

What was the results of the service call?

I have had this set since Sept. 2004, with no problems until now. I have a green and blue line (approx. 1" thick each, looks like part of a rainbow) running horizonitally on the bottom of the screen and a faint yellow line (also about 1" thick) on the top of the screen. Getting ready to call service, but interesting in what they found.

Brad1955
New User

Jun 13, 2005, 8:06 PM

Post #78 of 126 (22325 views)
Shortcut
Re: [goblue83] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

Got my set fixed in early April 2005 (see my previous post). Fortunately, there was ONE TV repair company in the whole Seattle area that was authorized by Zenith (LG) to do the repair. It was exactly what I expected from previous posts on this Forum - the entire light engine (basically the entire electronics package) had to be swapped out and replaced. The repairmen confirmed that it would've been almost $2000 (basically what I paid for the entire TV) to get it fixed, had it not still been under warranty. I also bought my set in Sept. 2004 - so it was within the 1-year warranty -WHEW!. But I asked the repairmen if the new parts would then extend the warranty another year if this happens again. The answer was "no". So, I'm watching this TV like a hawk looking for anything peculiar until my warranty runs out in September - after that, I'm screwed if something else goes wrong. This could turn out to be one hell of an expensive mistake. I sure hope not - but I'm not holding my breath.

My advice for you is to get it fixed any way you can ASAP - before your 1-year warranty expires! Otherwise, you might as well toss it in the trash after that. My advice to anyone else contemplating buying this set - run from it like the PLAGUE!

goblue83
New User

Jun 14, 2005, 5:47 PM

Post #79 of 126 (22293 views)
Shortcut
Re: [goblue83] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the info, will be calling BB today! I am not a fan of extended warrenties, if this a yearly thing, I am glad I decided on the 3yr this time. Pirate

Jim

billd
New User

Jun 22, 2005, 6:43 PM

Post #80 of 126 (22666 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vlad] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, here is a good one! I also have the problem of green and red golf ball circles showing on the screen.
The TV repair man says that Zenith repair service considers two or three circles acceptable and will not repair or replace the light unit with the TV? Bummer! !
Sounds like a cop out to me? What can I do? I bought the Zenith at BB with the extended warranty.
The TV is still under factory warranty since I have had it less than one year.
Mad

vlad
New User

Jun 22, 2005, 6:54 PM

Post #81 of 126 (22660 views)
Shortcut
Re: [billd] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like that repair guy was trying to get out of doing work for you. If its less than a year old, call Zenith directly and tell them. If over a year old, call Best Buy and start b*tching. good luck

centerj
New User

Aug 2, 2005, 7:20 PM

Post #82 of 126 (22148 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wmowens] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

I just purchased the set from BB for $1600. After seeing the troubles folks have had with this model, I picked up the 4 year service plan for $400.
The HD picture with the DVI connector is awesome. I too have the Comcast DVR.
Question on inputs & PIP.
I realize I can't watch the HD/DVI input and use PIP to switch between the HD input and the Video 1 non HD input. I can still see the Video 1 input, I just can't swap them.
If I get a second HD source which would come in on the 5 cable component input, can I do PIP with two HD sources?
Got a lot of good info on this set from this forum, hope I can get ananswer to this question!
TIA,
jim

sc2hirsch
New User

Aug 9, 2005, 10:18 PM

Post #83 of 126 (22067 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Zinji] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

I have the blue line too! I bought the TV in December 2004, and like clockwork (according to previous posts I read here) it happened, exactly seven months later. I don't think it is a coincidence that both Best Buy and Circuit City have pulled this model from their stores and websites either. Anyone have any inside info on this model's sudden disappearance?

Anyway, no authorized servicer in my area wants to touch it. After I called all 3 of them directly and was turned down for service, I called Zenith/LG service department. They then took 3 weeks to tell me what I had already found out, "Sorry no servicers in your area are willing to take the call." (Gee, think this model might have a bad reputation?). After almost a month of headaches and phone calls LG has now referred me to their adminstrative department. My only hope in another month or so is that I will receive a refund, I do not want a replacement. Anyone else dealing with similiar issues. I wonder if I would have better luck going back to Best Buy for my refund?

P.S. I noticed today that the only website that now even is offering this model for purchase is selling only factory reconditioned models at $999 each. Hmm.

goblue83
New User

Aug 11, 2005, 2:52 PM

Post #84 of 126 (22040 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sc2hirsch] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmmm, I too have the blue line (well actually its green/blue/purple). It started this summer (bought it in Sept 2004). Have been watching the threads and it sounded like Zenith was taking care of it. I call 3 days ago and recieved the "no repairman in my area" and was told she would get back to me the next day with a authorized repairman. No word as of yet. After reading your post I guess I will start hounding them daily.

Has anyone with this problem went directly to BB, or do we have to wait for the year warrenty with Zenith to expire?

solarbearusa
New User

Aug 19, 2005, 3:07 AM

Post #85 of 126 (21927 views)
Shortcut

PirateHoly crap is all I can say. I'm doing some research for my in-laws who bought this TV a year ago. They started having the "blue line sydrome" about 8 weeks ago. They have been through all of the channels you guys are talking about. Went to BB, they sent them to Zenith, Zenith sent them to local repair guy, local repair guys say forget it we won't work on that Zenith because of it's problems. 4 weeks into the process, Zenith tells them that they will send a letter for them to take to BB to get a replacement or refund. 4 weeks later, still no letter. I asked my mother in law why don't they just fax it and Zenith says they can only "mail" the letter. Did I mention, still no letter?

It really sucks, when I first started researching this, all of the people were so excited about the great deal this TV was and how pumped they were. As you get into spring of 2005, the forums start heading on a downward spiral. I really feel bad for all of these people who are going through this. I have a Sony Wega 50" that is about 6 months old and now I'm scared to death about these possibilities on my set (same technology). Prime example of a Huge Corporate Entity taking full advantage of us little consumers. Obviously, Zenith refuses to admit that there is a problem, if they do it will cost them millions. But you really wouldn't think they could just keep running from it all, atleast I hope not. This is a really bad deal and I truly feel for all of you. I told my in laws, get a refund somehow, anyway you can, keep bitching, print out these forums and take them to BB, raise utter hell until they fold. Someone should really be responsible. Good luck to you all.

LG_Guru
New User

Oct 12, 2005, 6:16 PM

Post #86 of 126 (21471 views)
Shortcut
Post deleted by LG_Guru [In reply to]

travis33
New User

Oct 13, 2005, 1:28 PM

Post #87 of 126 (21463 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LG_Guru] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

I couldn't get your email address.

LG_Guru
New User

Oct 13, 2005, 1:36 PM

Post #88 of 126 (21461 views)
Shortcut

ZenithLCD
New User

Oct 13, 2005, 3:19 PM

Post #89 of 126 (21457 views)
Shortcut
Post deleted by ZenithLCD [In reply to]

LG_Guru
New User

Oct 13, 2005, 3:53 PM

Post #90 of 126 (21453 views)
Shortcut

ZenithLCD
New User

Oct 13, 2005, 8:00 PM

Post #91 of 126 (21442 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LG_Guru] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

!!!!FAINT BLUE LINE HELP HERE!!!!

I too have the blue line problem with my television. I came to this website seeking answers and was very disheartened by the potential problem and costs that I may incur trying to fix the television. I was also not looking forward to dealing with surly and unattentive service departments (as one poster described).

I took the time this morning to respond to Roger Greenhaw's post above. Roger works with LGE (I think they designed or manufactured the television) and in less than 3 hours he called me personally to discuss the problem. He forwarded me to another guy named Roger Dufurio (sp.) who has instructed me to fax a copy of my purchase receipt so that he can line up a service technician to repair my television. After a lengthy discussion about the television I feel that I have been reasonably assured that the problem with the television overheating (which causes blue line) can and will be rectified.

I should add that my TV is about one month outside of the factory warranty period and LGE has extended my warranty to ensure that all expenses are covered!!! I'm not sure if this is an isolated experience but it is obvious to me that LGE is aware and comitted to fixing the defects in our televisions.

There is hope for our televisions... it can be found at [email address removed: Please refer to 1-800-243-0000 for assistance with your product]

LG_Guru
New User

Oct 13, 2005, 9:26 PM

Post #92 of 126 (21432 views)
Shortcut

ZenithLCD
New User

Oct 14, 2005, 2:58 PM

Post #93 of 126 (21415 views)
Shortcut

Those pictures of the air filters look exactly like the ones I pulled off mine. Ignorance is never an excuse but it is a shame that Best Buy does not educate their customers about the potential problems caused by not cleaning out the filters. I have looked through my manual and it makes no mention of regular air filter replacement/cleaning there either. That is ridiculous.

I am not an expert by any stretch, but it seems to me that not cleaning air filters and restricted air flow is the cause of our problems. Anyone who owns a LCD TV should clean their filters regularly!!

LG-GURU... Is it safe to say that filter clogging is the problem? Or is there another defect in the TV?

LG_Guru
New User

Oct 14, 2005, 3:33 PM

Post #94 of 126 (21411 views)
Shortcut

Andreole
New User

Oct 16, 2005, 2:57 AM

Post #95 of 126 (21395 views)
Shortcut

This is great! I'm not experiencing the blue lines (yet) but was fearing the day they might show up. I'm about 2 months beyond the point that others began experiencing the problems so I do remain hopeful. I'm unclear on one point. Are there filters that are actually removable and cleanable? I understand that you can simply vacuum on the outside. Roger you're a good man.

redrum
New User

Oct 16, 2005, 4:03 AM

Post #96 of 126 (21392 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
The blue line you are seeing is a product of one or two possibilities. The LCD panel which provides the blue imagery, which by the way is made by SONY Electronics, is defective. The LCD panel, in the optic engine (made by Ricoh) is basically loosing partial horizontal data, or the blue color filter has overheated and is becoming discolored, causing the loss of correct deflection through the optic prism. There are two ways to approach this. LG can offer some concessions and get you squared away, or provide the part, and you would be responsible for the service labor involved. Either way it can happen. The first thing I have to suggest to anyone purchasing a LCD or DLP projection TV is REMEMBER to keep an eye on the air intake filters. LG / Zenith products have one in the rear of the set, and 1 on the bottom of the unit. Reduced air flow through these units cause these "video deflection" issues. Overheating plainly affects these sets. I personally wouldn't own one, no matter who made it. I did however give my parents a 52 inch LCD PJT for christmas last year ( I won it at the employee xmas party).

I have forwarned them to keep a close eye on the filter in the rear, and I check their bottom filter every 3 months. I usually just clean it with a vacuum cleaner.

please send me your Model, serial # and contact information to my corporate email address [email address removed: Please refer to 1-800-243-0000 for assistance with your product] and I will get you some help resolving your issue. That goes for anyone else reading this reply. Once I have that information, I will contact you vis phone and create a case in our system, and get you fixed easier than going it alone. LG has some excellent products that get trashed by the owners, because of bad or poor service. I have a house full of LG "stuff" that would make you cry, and it all works dependably. If anything fails, and a couple of things have, it gets resolved pretty quickly, not because I am an employee, because I take an aggressive approach as to who handles my service issues.

First off, I am very happy that somone is proactive in trying to help people resolve their issues with this set. With that being said, as an employee of one of the two companies you mention in your email, I would have to disagree with your assesment of your main problems, other than the fact that airflow is a problem with overheating....

I have recently have had my Zenith returned, because my set had just gone through its 3rd light engine in 13 months, and was looking at number 4. IMHO the problems with the set is the following.

1. Poor design - The filters are design very poorly, on one hand, when dust settles on the filter, it affects the airflow, and overheats the optics, BUT it is not fine enough to let dust enter into the unit and cause 'crop circles' on the optics, thus causing the green golf balls appearing on the display.

2. Poor design - LCD displays, like plasma display do not particuraily like being place on its side. With that being said, why would any company place an air filter on the bottom of the unit which would either require 3 people to clean correctly, or force someone to tilt the unit inproperly, in order to clean it.

3. Poor Marketing - Having Best Buy exclusively market these sets, and in essence perform most of the technical support is like having Enron handling your companies 401K program. I have fish in my aquarium that know more about HT then Best Buy.

4. Poor Design - The number one problem with this set is NOT the blue line spider web flaw, nor the green golf ball circles, but the obscene green push that this set posesses. It was a problem with the D series Zenith and is worse on the E series LG televisions. It can not be fixed even my an official ISF calibration, any why spend the money, if you average a new engine every 4 months.

In conclusion, when the shipping company picked up my set for my RMA return, he infomed me that he has been picking up 'TONS' of these sets for return.

I have replaced my Zenith with a new Sony Grand Wega 5 42A10. All I can say is WOW, what a difference in design, and picture quality. So much so, that my 70ish in-laws, who know nothing about LCD TV's saw the new set and made a point in telling us - Wow, what a difference.

One thing though, when the engine wasnt defective, it produced in my opinion a nice HDTV 720p signal.

Good luck to all with this set !!!!

probuilt
User

Oct 16, 2005, 7:09 AM

Post #97 of 126 (21394 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lcdtv] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

review
Aslo, you might be interested in earnig a new tv for free
Copy and paste this on your browser to get a Flat Screen for free
http://flatscreens.freepay.com/?r=23486733
Just ask "Mel" he did it too. Learn from the Pro's

travis33
New User

Oct 16, 2005, 1:41 PM

Post #98 of 126 (21385 views)
Shortcut
Re: [redrum] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

Redrum,

I would like to ask you a couple of questions regarding the return of your Zenith set. I would appreciate it if you could email me at tjemail33@yahoo.com. Thanks, Travis.

redrum
New User

Oct 19, 2005, 12:49 PM

Post #99 of 126 (21322 views)
Shortcut
Re: [travis33] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Redrum,

I would like to ask you a couple of questions regarding the return of your Zenith set. I would appreciate it if you could email me at tjemail33@yahoo.com. Thanks, Travis.

travis33
New User

Oct 20, 2005, 1:22 PM

Post #100 of 126 (21298 views)
Shortcut
Re: [redrum] Zenith 44" Rear-Projection LCD TV E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

Redrum,

I emailed you, twice. Did you not recieve them?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.19 s on (CGI/1.1)